News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Advice for scholar in Iran

Started by downer, October 30, 2019, 01:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downer

I recently got an email from someone I've had some correspondence with. He lives and works in Iran, but wants to get out. I guess he hopes to get a job in a different country. He asked for help and advice.

I imagine the barriers to moving to a different country would be immense. I don't have any knowledge about this. Does anyone have any suggestions?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Hegemony

I take it he's an academic?  (You say "scholar," but I'm not sure if you mean he's employed by a university.)  I would think he'd need to have published in English to have a hope of getting something in the Western academic world.  Applying for visiting gigs in the West might be one way to make more contacts.  I mean the kind of annual fellowship things that get you a year of eminently presiding over seminars and the like.  Apart from that, the route is probably the same as for all of us — publish in well-recognized venues, make contacts, get advice from those in the know, apply widely but judiciously.

spork

He won't be allowed into the USA for as long as Trump is President.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Hegemony

That's what I would have thought, but we recently hired an academic from Iran (who had done a PhD in the States and then returned to Iran), and who got the requisite visa and showed up — so some academics are slipping through, whatever the intentions of our government.