News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Happy Birthday America!

Started by clean, July 04, 2020, 08:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

Happy July 4 to all! 
What plans do you have to (Covid appropriately) celebrate the day?

I have walked and mowed the back yard.  I have answered student emails and will grade a few things. I may work on a paper.  lunch is likely a salad, but dinner may include either hot dogs or hamburger, chips and watermellon!

Any special food today?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

writingprof

I'm attending a large, maskless gathering, to the surprise of exactly no one.

Cheerful

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

Happy Birthday, United States!

Clean, your dinner plans sound July 4th appropriate!  Enjoy!

evil_physics_witchcraft

I may do some yard work. We will likely grill (chicken & hot dogs). Maybe we'll have potato salad and a green salad. Nothing big. Staying home.

ab_grp

We are not doing too much that's exciting.  We marinated some Korean bbq chicken thighs last night and just finished making potato salad and corn for elote.  We should have done those sides yesterday but spent the whole day trying to get through Avengers Endgame, which is approximately 80 hours long.  Tonight there will likely be lots of fireworks despite the fire warnings and drought.  They have been going off all week but tend to go off fairly randomly here throughout the year. 

hmaria1609

Planning to see "Hamilton" on Disney+ during its limited run.  At one point, it was planned to be shown in movie theaters, if I remember correctly.

Besides the original Hamilton libretto by Lin-Manuel Miranda at the library, I've seen bits and pieces of the show from "Hamilton's America" documentary on PBS.
https://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/hamiltonfullfilm/5801/
A few clips are available to watch.

Have a Capitol 4th everyone!

dismalist

Responding to the demand for "No Taxation Without Representation", the wise Adam Smith recommended to the Crown: Give them representation, you idiots, and take their cash!

Would make for a fascinating alternative history. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

evil_physics_witchcraft

Food update:

We marinated the chicken with garlic, chilies, ginger, cumin, other spices, made some potato salad and no churn ice cream.

mamselle

Last night I had a stewed chicken in pastry pie for dinner, with greens on the side, and a slice (oops, two slices!) of journeycake (corn meal and grits with cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon, brown sugar, honey, butter, and an egg) for dessert.

Today I cleared space in my colonial room (dedicated 2and bedroom: the other one is the medieval/renaissance room) for getting more work done, going through my tour materials (in process of being put online), and pulling out some reading matter for same.

I spent the day reading "Oxford in the Age of John Locke," selections from Bartel's "London in Plague and Fire," and reviewing my tour handouts, poetry, and music samples, for further use.

I had a piece of journeycake and tea for a noontime snack, and just had a wrap-up snack of cocoa and a small pastry pie.

I'm debating dinner now...

Thankfully all the towns around here have sent local email listserv warnings around about the a) illegality and b) dangers of fireworks to animals, humans, and birds; last night was decently quiet.

Tonight I think the towns themselves may do controlled displays roped off from public access, but they might not.

I'm still in 17th c. mode, it seems...might stay there for awhile yet.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Mamselle:

That sounds like a wonderfully peaceful day.

mamselle

Thanks.

I basically replicated the meals I usually have during the weekends my Saturday tours run, and did the readings and prep needed to rehouse them online.

I'm also pulling the fabric I bought last year to make a new dress for my character; I think she's disappointed that I didn't finish it, but maybe that will happen, now, too.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Puget

I made homemade strawberry shortcake and had two friends over to eat it, safely spaced out in the back yard. It cleared up into a gloriously blue sky but not too hot afternoon just in time.

Other than that, I finished repainting the bathroom, weeded the garden, and went for a walk. All in all a good day.

Tons of illegal fireworks going off the neighborhood. Seems like they have been for about a month now, imported from a neighboring state we here call the live free AND die state, or at least live free and lose a few fingers it seems.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes