News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

2020 Elections

Started by spork, June 22, 2019, 01:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mythbuster

Dismalist,
   Let me give you an example that may help illustrate. People need to buy bread.
In a first world country, please can do this by purchasing the bread at the bakery. The bakery has a steady supply of flour to make the bread, so as long as you have the cash, you can buy bread.
In a second world country, even if you have the money, there may be no bread to buy. The shelves at the bakery may be empty even though you live in a country that farms wheat for flour. The government has requisitioned the four for whatever purpose. The people who get the bread are well connected politically, not necessarily the ones who need the bread or have the money.
In a thirds worlds country there is very little flour available and you are lacking in wheat farming and/or infrastructure to get the flour to the bakery. So only the super rich and politically connected can get access to the really expensive bread that is imported.

secundem_artem

The term third world has been largely supplanted by "The Global South" for those working in the health & development field.

Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

jimbogumbo

Texas Gov. Abbott's decision to limit each county to one drop box for absentee votes seems pretty obvious as to his intent.

mamselle

I saw that.

Friends live in Houston.

I could only send the article link and a

"WHHAAATTTTT?"

in response.

Dunno...
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

QuoteTexas Gov. Abbott's decision to limit each county to one drop box for absentee votes seems pretty obvious as to his intent.

Giving The Proud Boys a place to Stand By?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

jimbogumbo

Quote from: clean on October 02, 2020, 10:16:18 AM
QuoteTexas Gov. Abbott's decision to limit each county to one drop box for absentee votes seems pretty obvious as to his intent.

Giving The Proud Boys a place to Stand By?

That would make it easier for them in Harris County (Houston) which currently has 11.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: jimbogumbo on October 02, 2020, 10:09:26 AM
Texas Gov. Abbott's decision to limit each county to one drop box for absentee votes seems pretty obvious as to his intent.

This pissed me off. Not sure if it was a deliberate move to suppress voting access, but.... if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.... it's probably not a turkey.

dismalist

Quote from: mythbuster on October 02, 2020, 08:30:39 AM
Dismalist,
   Let me give you an example that may help illustrate. People need to buy bread.
In a first world country, please can do this by purchasing the bread at the bakery. The bakery has a steady supply of flour to make the bread, so as long as you have the cash, you can buy bread.
In a second world country, even if you have the money, there may be no bread to buy. The shelves at the bakery may be empty even though you live in a country that farms wheat for flour. The government has requisitioned the four for whatever purpose. The people who get the bread are well connected politically, not necessarily the ones who need the bread or have the money.
In a thirds worlds country there is very little flour available and you are lacking in wheat farming and/or infrastructure to get the flour to the bakery. So only the super rich and politically connected can get access to the really expensive bread that is imported.

This is a description of a non-free-market economy, and corrupt. It is not a description of most non-rich countries countries today.

Anyway, this is off topic.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mamselle

QuoteAnyway, this is off topic.

Well, we could always talk about circuses....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

spork

Mark Kelly has an 8 point lead over Martha McSally in the Arizona race for Senate, according to the latest Times-Siena poll. He's got a huge lead among women respondents and those under 45 years old. McSally's support is from older white voters without a bachelor's degree -- Trumpsters.

I'll predict that Kelly wins in Arizona and Gideon wins in Maine.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

jimbogumbo

It appears the New England Journal of Medicine Editorial Board fears President Trump more than the specter of socialized medicine: https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/07/health/nejm-editorial-political-leadership-bn/index.html

pgher

I made it through almost ten minutes of the VP debate.

Treehugger

Oh my. Kamala is so nervous, oh no ....

Ok, sounding stronger and more natural now ...

clean

QuoteOh my. Kamala is so nervous, oh no .

Doesnt look that way to me.

VP seems to want to interrupt and go over time. 

clean

Ithink that they need to cut the mikes at the time limit. and keep them from interrupting.