News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

I Voted! When will you vote?

Started by clean, October 13, 2020, 03:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vkw10

Voted today. Arrived 30 minutes before polls opened, left 49 minutes after polls opened. Line was much longer when I left than when I arrived.

My county is doing early voting at about half of the polling places that will be open on Election Day. All the polling places will be open the five days before Election Day. Several locations are open Saturday and Sunday this year. Reports are that all the county's polling places have had long lines.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

kaysixteen

Massachusetts folks-- how many of you who have requested mail-in ballots have gotten theirs yet?   

Sun_Worshiper

Voted yesterday. Hoping the electorate sends a strong signal that corruption, incompetence, endless misinformation, and racism will get a president ousted from the White House, and glad to contribute from my swing state.

Ruralguy

Writingprof-

Maybe I need to work on being more consistently idiotic. Any suggestions?

Seriously though, the President is unhinged and focused on either self-immolation or burning down everything else.
Hopefully, the part of him that would be too embarrassed to lose will avoid the worst such behavior in the next couple of weeks,
but I am not sure if he's capable.

mamselle

^ Unrelated.

At least the USPS is going to reverse the destructive changes made over the past few months...hope it's not too little, too late...

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/14/postal-service-agrees-to-reverse-service-changes-429550

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

spork

Today. Dropped mail-in ballot into official ballot collection box. No muss, no fuss.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

fourhats

QuoteToday. Dropped mail-in ballot into official ballot collection box. No muss, no fuss.

Same here.

clean

local news is reporting the early voting counts.  AFter 3 days of early voting, just under 17%of the local electorate have already cast their ballots!

Anyone else seeing similar statistics from their local news?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

lightning

Voted today by dropping off a mail-in ballot at the voting commission building

I wonder though about some things.

Why did some people choose to do in-person early voting and stand in line forever like we are voting in a 3rd world country (and also cause a health danger to themselves and others). Is it the sense of community? Because most of the early voters in-person are Biden/Harris supporters who can't wait to vote out Trump and it's like a Biden/Harris rally? On social media, people are posting pictures of themselves in line like they were attending a political rally.

There was no way I was going to stand in line for in-person early voting.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I plan on voting soon (within the next week). I FINALLY received my ballot in the mail. It only took a little over a week. SO received his 4 days after requesting it.

clean

QuoteBecause most of the early voters in-person are Biden/Harris supporters who can't wait to vote out Trump and it's like a Biden/Harris rally?

OR are the Early Voters the Trump voters afraid 'to have their ballots thrown out'?

I believe that the ones in long lines are not aware of the other polling places, or are not able to travel between them easily.

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Treehugger

I voted Biden/Harris early in person this morning in FL. Florida early voting started today at 7am and I got there by 8:15. I was worried about long lines, but it looks like my county got ahead of the curve by opening a couple extra large early voting centers. There are now 8 total early voting locations in my county of about 500,000 registered voters.

My county is purple, with slightly more registered Republicans than Democrats. Recently, we have noticed Trump signs only in frankly rural areas. We spent about 15 minutes deriving through the suburbs yesterday and my husband and I bet on how many Trump/Pence signs we would see. He bet 5 and I bet more than 5. We saw zero! As for Biden/Harris signs, we saw only 1. Still, a good sign.

Outside the polling place, I saw zero signs for either Trump or Biden. However, I did see one voter wearing a Biden/Harris face mask. I was actually a little surprised that they let her inside the polling place with it. Technically, I think it should have been disallowed, but maybe someone spoke with her eventually.

They had over 50 polling stations set up and had about 10 volunteers checking people in. I had to wait briefly to check in, but no wait for a polling station. Overall I saw maybe around 40 voters there.

So, everything seems like smooth sailing in my Co. .... so far at least.

mahagonny

Not sure that I will vote this time. I can't make up my mind. The democrats have done such a good job of condoning and enabling the wave of  hysteria over supposedly racist police (not borne out by the facts) that if you listen to them you would think white on black racism is our nation's biggest challenge. Which is utterly absurd, yet there are many people who know that who are playing along. More absurd than four more years of Donald Trump as the most powerful person in the world? Not sure. On the one hand, if Donald Trump as POTUS is a bad thing, then ending it for a nutty reason is still a good thing. And with Trump gone, the republican party can begin to reconstruct itself. there are a lot of younger conservatives, and impressive number of them POC, who could begin that important work. OTOH, Biden won't make a better economic recovery than Trump will, and that's what we'll be needing. Hmm...
It used to be I could never have not voted against Trump because he was weakening labor protections via packing the NLRB with a less-labor friendly staff member. I still resent him for that. But in real life, I find liberals more contemptful of labor, irrespective of what laws their candidates support.

mamselle

If Biden does anything like Obama did with economic recovery, you'll be glad you voted for him.

The cycle of "Republics raid the US government like an ATM for their big-time cronies, while bleating about inflation and scaring the little folks (like my parents), then the Democrats fix it by getting social justice spending to benefit the GNP and turn the economy-ship back on course with a win-win" has been going on for at least a century now.

I was hoodwinked by it as a 19-year-old first-time voter, and voted for Nixon.

I'm surprised you haven't yet seen the light.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Sun_Worshiper

Moody's forecast gives Biden's plan quite an edge in job creation: https://www.businessinsider.com/joe-biden-economic-plan-jobs-trump-republicans-democrats-moodys-create-2020-9

And the numbers don't suggest that Trump managed the economy better than Obama, even pre-COVID: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/27/opinion/trump-obama-economy.html