News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Preparing for Coronavirus?

Started by Cheerful, February 25, 2020, 09:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Quinoa is hard to find.  A small local store has it in bulk, which is kind of against the health department rules but oh well.

spork

Quote from: downer on September 16, 2020, 04:41:42 PM
Quote from: spork on September 16, 2020, 04:34:07 PM
Quote from: downer on September 16, 2020, 04:21:06 PM
How many are you cooking for, Spork?

Two, though sometimes I give away loaves of homemade bread.

Do you ever have pasta, potatoes, or quinoa? What variety of rice are you purchasing?

My thought is that is a lot of rice for two people.

I eat rice like a Southeast Asian, though typically it's a mix of 1/3 brown and 2/3 jasmine white. We have a large rice cooker.

We also have ~ 30 pounds of peanut butter.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: spork on September 16, 2020, 06:25:34 PM

Do you ever have pasta, potatoes, or quinoa? What variety of rice are you purchasing?

I eat rice like a Southeast Asian, though typically it's a mix of 1/3 brown and 2/3 jasmine white. We have a large rice cooker.

Will you quantify that? I'm just curious. Maybe a cup (cooked) a meal?

Edit: Sorry, not trying to be nosy. I just really enjoy calculating.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: spork on September 16, 2020, 02:52:50 PM
Quote from: Puget on September 16, 2020, 02:42:06 PM

[. . .]

This seems. . .excessive.

[. . .]

I cook a lot. It doesn't take me very long to run through basic staples. Even without a pandemic interrupting supply chains, I prefer making a bi-monthly trip to the Vietnamese supermarket to buy rice in 50 lb bags than to buy tiny bags of rice weekly at much higher prices at the white folks' supermarket. As for the firewood, I insist on having multiple ways to heat my house in case one system goes down, as happened two years ago in Merrimack Valley, Massachusetts.

Another way to look at this is that he could be grinding rice to make rice flour.

evil_physics_witchcraft

On another note/third (gripping) hand, I've noticed that certain supplies are still out of stock at the local food store (and online).

I can find flour in some places, but absolutely no Lysol products (except toilet cleaner). There are certain things that we are stocking up on because, well, who the heck knows what will happen in the 'near' future.

spork

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on September 17, 2020, 08:20:57 PM

I cook three cups of dry rice at a time. I don't really know how much that equates to cooked, but it's typically gone in 48 hours.

I need to start looking for yeast, too.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Langue_doc

QuotePosted by: evil_physics_witchcraft
« on: September 17, 2020, 08:20:57 PM »Insert Quote

I get about four servings from one cup of uncooked rice.

apl68

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on September 17, 2020, 08:26:32 PM
There are certain things that we are stocking up on because, well, who the heck knows what will happen in the 'near' future.

And so is everybody else.  Hence the recurring shortages.  I suspect a lot of these local shortages are the result of sudden surges of stocking up and/or panic buying based on rumor.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

apl68

Quote from: Langue_doc on September 18, 2020, 05:35:49 AM
QuotePosted by: evil_physics_witchcraft
« on: September 17, 2020, 08:20:57 PM »Insert Quote

I get about four servings from one cup of uncooked rice.

I get two from one and a half cups of uncooked rice.  But I live alone and only cook it once a week, so the ten-pound supermarket bag works fine for me when I stock up.

apl68

Quote from: spork on September 16, 2020, 02:52:50 PM
As for the firewood, I insist on having multiple ways to heat my house in case one system goes down, as happened two years ago in Merrimack Valley, Massachusetts.

It's really good to have something to fall back on like that.  Especially if you live in a rural area.  The fact that our main central heating was a wood stove got us through several winter outages when I was growing up.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: spork on September 18, 2020, 04:56:20 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on September 17, 2020, 08:20:57 PM

I cook three cups of dry rice at a time. I don't really know how much that equates to cooked, but it's typically gone in 48 hours.

I need to start looking for yeast, too.

I remember yeast was hard to find earlier in the year. You can always go back to 'wild-caught' yeast when in trouble.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: apl68 on September 18, 2020, 07:24:17 AM
There are certain things that we are stocking up on because, well, who the heck knows what will happen in the 'near' future.

And so is everybody else.  Hence the recurring shortages.  I suspect a lot of these local shortages are the result of sudden surges of stocking up and/or panic buying based on rumor.

Possibly. I tend to have a 6 month pantry (which I did before the virus hit). I have been slowly stocking up for the fall/winter a few items at a time instead of doing a massive hit to the supply line.

spork

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on September 18, 2020, 08:25:29 AM
Quote from: apl68 on September 18, 2020, 07:24:17 AM

Possibly. I tend to have a 6 month pantry (which I did before the virus hit). I have been slowly stocking up for the fall/winter a few items at a time instead of doing a massive hit to the supply line.

I don't work in mid-management for any retailers, but shelf stock for at least one supermarket chain in my area has still not returned to pre-pandemic levels. I go in one week and there's no vegetable oil, the next week there's no potatoes and onions. Chicken is hit or miss. This is a low-end chain, so there might be price ceilings that the company is not willing to exceed when buying from distributors, but I really doubt empty shelves are from panic buying episodes in random product categories.

secundem_artem

Excuse me please, I'm looking for The Fora.  I accidentally seem to have wandered into an episode of Doomsday Preppers.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: secundem_artem on September 18, 2020, 09:12:23 AM
Excuse me please, I'm looking for The Fora.  I accidentally seem to have wandered into an episode of Doomsday Preppers.

:D