News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Random Thoughts Anew

Started by mamselle, May 27, 2019, 09:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Unrelated to anything above.

I'm very pleased that a young woman in a lab coat won Miss America this time.

But since she obviously knew the result would include tertiary-colored foam columns shooting into the air and cascading over the desk, it's not really an "experiment, is it?

Wouldn't that come under the heading of a lab demonstration, or a "show-n-tell" event?

Just being nitpicky, really.

I keep going back and marveling over the whole thing, watching all the cascading colors....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Economizer

If there were a contest for the best political gaff, of less than seven words during 2019, might it be "Pocahontas"?
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Economizer

I find myself wondering whether or not mules lactate. Any views on that?
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

aside

Quote from: Economizer on January 02, 2020, 04:40:54 PM

I find myself wondering whether or not mules lactate. Any views on that?

Every ass knows that.

Economizer

RE: A music festival in Tenn.

There appears to be some 70 musical acts [bands] performing on the occasion.  However, I do not recognize, by name, any of the group/artist participants, save one.

Miley Cyrus, the celebrity actress-singer will be there.  Many, perhaps, would not recognize her due to a change in her "looks".  My Google sources state that she has changed to a "Mullet" style hair do. Others signed on for the event, I suppose, will continue to sport more "Crappie" like hair designs. Having previewed Ms. Cyrus' change, I think that she is on the right track!

Economizer

As to my previous post:  What am I doing wrong?  Help me as I strive for perfection, please! Oh, a Crappie is a type of fish, as is a Mullet!
My remarks are really meant to be like a pun, your know, "A pun, a play upon words, a pun.  Two thirds of a pun, P U"!

Economizer

As I am exposed to this trifling issue every day, I have decided to get some other "takes" on it, from y'all.  Almost every time I buy something from a person or machine, I am given a choice as to whether I want the receipt for the purchase.  When I take the, already printed, receipt, the clerk, when a person is the cashier, does something with the receipt.  In many instances, I am quite sure that the clerk is keeping my receipt separate for some purpose.  So, are businesses, persons, etc. saving up the receipts to be able to write them off of taxable amounts? Some of the people that offer the receipts seem to have a bit of a bad attitude or a queer visual appearance when I say that I do want my receipt.  Is that a clue that something is amiss in business operations, accounting, etc.?

This may be why that, as business is up, tax inflow into IRS coffers is reported to be down. Thus, we the people are getting robbed.  I am not totally sure, but this may well be true!

magnemite

Go home now, or do one more semi productive task, is my current thought exercise...
may you ride eternal, shiny and chrome

Anselm

Quote from: Economizer on January 07, 2020, 09:05:01 AM
RE: A music festival in Tenn.

There appears to be some 70 musical acts [bands] performing on the occasion.  However, I do not recognize, by name, any of the group/artist participants, save one.

Miley Cyrus, the celebrity actress-singer will be there.  Many, perhaps, would not recognize her due to a change in her "looks".  My Google sources state that she has changed to a "Mullet" style hair do. Others signed on for the event, I suppose, will continue to sport more "Crappie" like hair designs. Having previewed Ms. Cyrus' change, I think that she is on the right track!

I've never been a fan of her but she did a great job of covering  Say Hello to Heaven from Temple of the Dog.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

apl68

Last night I had a dream in which a dog sprouted wings and flew around like some canine gryphon.  My dreams don't usually have such surreal imagery.

Maybe this belongs on the fauna thread?  Except it wasn't exactly what one would call natural....
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

mamselle

Hybrids fit in well with medieval art history.

Maybe we should start a thread on fantastic animals we have known.

I had a student who used to do a great imitation of that gargoyle on the side of Notre Dame--you know, the one with its chin in its hands and its jaw sticking out?

Sometimes I could even joke her out of it by pointing to the sculpted moule of the same figure that her mom had sitting in the room.

I always wondered if she was doing it on purpose.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ciao_yall

Quote from: apl68 on January 23, 2020, 07:25:03 AM
Last night I had a dream in which a dog sprouted wings and flew around like some canine gryphon.  My dreams don't usually have such surreal imagery.

Maybe this belongs on the fauna thread?  Except it wasn't exactly what one would call natural....

How about the dreams thread?

apl68

Quote from: ciao_yall on January 23, 2020, 07:35:17 AM

Didn't realize we had one.  Thanks!
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

ciao_yall

Quote from: apl68 on January 23, 2020, 07:43:45 AM
Quote from: ciao_yall on January 23, 2020, 07:35:17 AM

Didn't realize we had one.  Thanks!

Weird. I can't find it now.

Economizer

Is there a nightmare thread.  If so, maybe some of the dream interpretation experts here might offer germane comments re those, huh?