News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Doomscrolling and getting nervous

Started by Faith786, May 12, 2021, 04:26:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruralguy

The ratings assessment is accurate (at least from what I have heard). However, I don't think the current Israeli-Palestinian flare up is exaggerated to create clicks or views on cable. Though obviously the origins of the conflict are truly ancient, this current mess is worse than the last time ( I think a few years ago, but its hard to keep track). In particular, Hamas has more rockets, is more willing to fire them, and the rockets probably have increased accuracy. There is also much more of a tie in to community relationships between Jews and Arabs "on the ground." I don't think it is a harbinger of doom outside of the region, and it will likely die down in a few days, but its pretty bad, i.e., newsworthy.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Ruralguy on May 13, 2021, 06:16:06 AM
The ratings assessment is accurate (at least from what I have heard). However, I don't think the current Israeli-Palestinian flare up is exaggerated to create clicks or views on cable. Though obviously the origins of the conflict are truly ancient, this current mess is worse than the last time ( I think a few years ago, but its hard to keep track).

I think you're right, but unfortunately it has come to the place that the lives are only secondary to the ideological debate about whether to be pro-Israel or pro-Palestine. (i.e "Are you anti-Semitic or Islamophobic?")
It takes so little to be above average.

Ruralguy

Why does anyone have to be only "pro" one side?  Even if that is so (which, of course, it is in many cases), I think a very large number on either side or no side would want this particular conflict to end as soon as possible, and think of better ways to prevent them in the future. This comes from years of "deferred maintenance" on the relationship.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Ruralguy on May 13, 2021, 07:06:28 AM
Why does anyone have to be only "pro" one side?  Even if that is so (which, of course, it is in many cases), I think a very large number on either side or no side would want this particular conflict to end as soon as possible, and think of better ways to prevent them in the future. This comes from years of "deferred maintenance" on the relationship.

I think you're right about individuals; but journalists often have to pick a particular spin on the story to assuage to outrage mob on Twitter. To report without *nodding to a particular side would be too scary for many (most?)

*Even just by deciding which carnage to cover, or which people to interview.
It takes so little to be above average.

Faith786

Quote from: marshwiggle on May 13, 2021, 06:56:33 AM

I think you're right, but unfortunately it has come to the place that the lives are only secondary to the ideological debate about whether to be pro-Israel or pro-Palestine. (i.e "Are you anti-Semitic or Islamophobic?")

Oh, wow, interesting, I never thought of it that way.
I need this grant approved...