Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Look! A bird!

Started by professor_pat, May 31, 2019, 11:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebo113

Pyrrhuloxias and curved bill thrashers

apl68

Heard owls hooting in the distance again on my morning walk before sunrise.  It's nice to take a long walk that spans the morning twilight time and hear the birds gradually waking up around you.  I wonder--do they feel sleepy when they wake up?  Or do they simply snap fully awake when the biological clock tells them to?

In recent days I've also been seeing flocks of geese heading back north.  Short winter, huh?
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Catherder

4 juvenile bald eagles are perched on the edge of the ice.  10 swans are floating on the open water with a gaggle of geese.  Two doves, half a dozen chickadees,and  one female and one brilliant male cardinal are occupying the cherry tree. A pair of robins are chasing each other and another pair of chickadees are renovating last year's nest in the lilac bush.

Spring? Maybe?

Thursday's_Child

It's trending toward spring here - lots of songs and the beginnings of territorial disputes.

nebo113

Quote from: Catherder on March 04, 2020, 07:32:22 AM
  4 juvenile bald eagles are perched on the edge of the ice.  10 swans are floating on the open water with a gaggle of geese.  Two doves, half a dozen chickadees,and  one female and one brilliant male cardinal are occupying the cherry tree. A pair of robins are chasing each other and another pair of chickadees are renovating last year's nest in the lilac bush.

Spring? Maybe?

WOW!!!

apl68

Swarming starlings swoop
To light in a bare tree-top
Swish of many wings
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Quote from: apl68 on March 05, 2020, 07:30:50 AM
Swarming starlings swoop
To light in a bare tree-top
Swish of many wings

Like^

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Something I witnessed this morning that I've never seen before:

I hear a soft smack
Of feathers striking feathers
Spring birds colliding

nebo113

Quote from: apl68 on March 11, 2020, 10:34:44 AM
Something I witnessed this morning that I've never seen before:

I hear a soft smack
Of feathers striking feathers
Spring birds colliding

Thanks.

mamselle

Not a present bird, but the haunting thought of a tiny bird/dinosaur preserved in ancient amber flits about in my mind's eye and makes me wonder.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Catherder

OK now I understand the phrase "lovey-dovey".   A pair of mourning doves is building a nest in the cherry tree directly in front of my desk.
Since the branches are still bare I can watch their affectionate canoodling. 

So where does  "canoodling" come from?

apl68

Apparently there are several theories.  "Canoodle" looks kind of like a Swedish word knulla, which apparently has to do with fornication, and a German word, knuddeln, which is supposed to mean "to cuddle."  Alternatively it's been suggested that it might be derived from an old English dialect word that has to do with foolish behavior.

Its earliest recorded usage was in the mid-nineteenth century United States.  There were lots of German immigrants in the U.S. then, so I'd guess that knuddeln was the origin.  Not knowing German myself, I don't know whether that's correct.

Catherder

Tks.  The male flies off to collect a twig or some soft lining material every 10 minutes or so, then comes back, places the twig, and then cuddles with the female until he goes for another twig.

I'm enjoying watching them too much to put a sign in my window warning them to practice social distancing.

apl68

Pretty sure they have nothing to worry about!

With less traffic on the streets and highways, the birds in general are probably having a more pleasant time this spring.

nebo113

Quote from: Catherder on March 24, 2020, 09:33:59 AM
Tks.  The male flies off to collect a twig or some soft lining material every 10 minutes or so, then comes back, places the twig, and then cuddles with the female until he goes for another twig.

I'm enjoying watching them too much to put a sign in my window warning them to practice social distancing.

Sweet.  Smiling.  Thank you.