News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Look! A bird!

Started by professor_pat, May 31, 2019, 11:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

I saw three crows chasing a red-shouldered hawk today. Actually, I heard the hawk and crows before I saw any of them.

mamselle

Crows are fierce on hawks and owls.

I was typing a paper one morning, heard a tremendous racket, and there was a whole convention of them all screeching at an owl up in the tree outside.

Finally, the owl flew away--and then it was suddenly dead quiet.

The crows had chased it over the houses and followed it for quite awhile.

Then I went back inside and kept typing.

Made for an interesting break in my work...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

cathwen

I am enjoying the sounds and sights of spring.  A few days ago I saw my first goldfinch of the season in his summer plumage.  The song sparrows are singing their little hearts out, joined by a chorus of house finches and phoebes, with downy woodpeckers drumming in the background.  Then there are the tufted titmice, Carolina wrens, blue jays, cardinals, robins...  The usual suspects, in other words--nothing exotic--but they make my heart glad.

mamselle

I can just hear them from your description.

I'm especially delighted to find goldfinches--there are two or three spots where I've seen them in the last few years and it's always a tiny bit of joy in my day.

This post documents another urban avian presence, one of several sightings in unexpected places:

https://publish.twitter.com/?query=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FOnlyInBOS%2Fstatus%2F1244300835988832260&widget=Tweet

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

cathwen

Mamselle, I love that photo!

That reminds me of when we first moved to Manhattan (we're no longer there).  One of my husband's colleagues described seeing a turkey strolling down W. 23rd Street while she was on her way to work.  She thought that was odd, but then a police officer stopped her and said, "Hey lady, is that your turkey?"  Well, I guess in New York, nothing is too strange!  I suppose that one *could* have a pet turkey.

Battery Park used to have a resident turkey named Zelda.  I actually saw Zelda once!  I've been out of New York for years now, so I don't know what the current status of turkeys is in the city!

mamselle

There are many urban turkeys about; I saw four in the side yard of an apartment I once rented.

"Mr Gobbles" was legendary in his day:

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2008/03/11/farewell-mr-gobbles/

and

https://cambridge.wickedlocal.com/article/20080311/NEWS/303119832

note his popularity.

More recently, I got photos of twelve of the critters wandering around, foraging in the back gardens of a legal institution.

I suspect they were the for the education, not the food.

M.

paultuttle

Quote from: mamselle on April 07, 2020, 10:39:56 AM
. . . .

More recently, I got photos of twelve of the critters wandering around, foraging in the back gardens of a legal institution.

M.

Dare I suggest how well they might fit in with some of the current crop of law school graduates?

<ducks (no pun intended) and runs>

FishProf

A pair of Goldfinches, a pair of Cardinals, and one Downy woodpecker.

Alas, My virtual office puts my back to the window.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

Quote from: paultuttle on April 07, 2020, 11:19:17 AM
Quote from: mamselle on April 07, 2020, 10:39:56 AM
. . . .

M.

Dare I suggest how well they might fit in with some of the current crop of law school graduates?

<ducks (no pun intended) and runs>

Just don't let the turkeys get you down!

M.

Thursday's_Child

Mockingbird nestlings in a large shrub.  I'll just leave the necessary yardwork in that area for later...

apl68

A bluebird hopping
Among the yellows and whites
And the tall, green grass
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

evil_physics_witchcraft

Today I heard quite a ruckus. Crows were mobbing the hawk again, only this time there were TWO hawks, but one of them way much farther away. I could hear them calling to each other.

Nightshade

Our flicker came to the feeder again today while I sat almost directly underneath it! They are such flashy birds, but look quite silly trying to hold onto our platform-style feeder. They make a hot mess throwing out most of the seed before pecking at a peanut incessantly, but I love them. Also saw our towhee, a variety of chickadees, noisy finches of all kinds, red-breasted and white-breasted nuthatches, a robin, juncos, and some creaky blue jays! They took turns drinking water from our critter bowl. It's been a good day for birds. Can't wait for the western tanagers to make their spring appearances though!

mamselle

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on April 08, 2020, 12:42:51 PM
Today I heard quite a ruckus. Crows were mobbing the hawk again, only this time there were TWO hawks, but one of them way much farther away. I could hear them calling to each other.

I wonder if both species are nesting and the crows know what hawks do to nestlings...

M.

Catherder

Babies!  The mourning doves have hatched.