News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Look! A bird!

Started by professor_pat, May 31, 2019, 11:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Inspired by a sighting yesterday afternoon, during a blustery walk home to lunch, after the morning's overcast had blown away:

An eagle soaring
At play in a bright blue sky
Looks like so much fun
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Catherder

Now there are two families of geese on my lawn with at least 11 goslings between them--the little ones keep moving around so it's hard to count them.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I just saw a female ruby-throated hummingbird fly by my window! It hovered for a bit and when I looked to see what attracted it, I noticed quite a bit of spider webbing. I know that this material is used for nest-making, so I can only assume that it was looking to build (or look at its reflection in the window?). Well, maybe it was just nosy and was wondering what I'm doing at my desk, but really, I'm betting on nest-making.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on April 30, 2020, 12:57:11 PM
I just saw a female ruby-throated hummingbird fly by my window! It hovered for a bit and when I looked to see what attracted it, I noticed quite a bit of spider webbing. I know that this material is used for nest-making, so I can only assume that it was looking to build (or look at its reflection in the window?). Well, maybe it was just nosy and was wondering what I'm doing at my desk, but really, I'm betting on nest-making.

It came back just now! I saw it actively tugging at the spiderweb. So cool! This really made my day.

nebo113

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on April 30, 2020, 02:13:24 PM

It came back just now! I saw it actively tugging at the spiderweb. So cool! This really made my day.

Didn't know that about spider webs.  Very cool!

apl68

Quote from: nebo113 on May 01, 2020, 04:33:24 AM

Using spider webs for nesting material?  There's something fairy-like about that.  But that's hummingbirds for you.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

FishProf

We saw our first Turkey in our yard ever.  The cats were quite excited by this.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: FishProf on May 01, 2020, 11:11:36 AM
We saw our first Turkey in our yard ever.  The cats were quite excited by this.
You might need to catch it to supplement your diet in this lockdown world. Just kidding.... or am I?

evil_physics_witchcraft

Yep. Apparently, they use lichen and moss.

https://www.audubon.org/content/how-create-hummingbird-friendly-yard

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: apl68 on May 01, 2020, 07:31:24 AM

Using spider webs for nesting material?  There's something fairy-like about that.  But that's hummingbirds for you.

Yep yep. We found a nest years ago in the back yard. It was so tiny and fragile.

cathwen

Last night, while watching the news, I glimpsed a large moving object out of the corner of my eye.  I looked through the window in time to see a great blue heron alighting onto the roof of one of the condo units across the way.  S/he sat there for a few moments, then took off, gliding elegantly away.

Thursday's_Child

A pair of Great crested flycatchers spent a few minutes foraging in my back yard this morning!  I hope they nest in the area again - without the crows finding it this year, of course.

Last weekend seems to have been the last blast of winter birds.  I saw a Yellow-rumped warbler, a small flock of Cedar waxwings, and the last of the White-throated sparrows.  It was also a bad weekend for two pairs of nesting Cardinals - a Bluejay(!) raided their nests, literally diving into the foliage and quickly heading off with the nestling - and the parents in noisy pursuit!  That was a new one for me, especially since they really like peanut pieces and I keep the feeder well stocked.

nebo113

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on May 02, 2020, 09:34:05 AM
A pair of Great crested flycatchers spent a few minutes foraging in my back yard this morning!  I hope they nest in the area again - without the crows finding it this year, of course.

Last weekend seems to have been the last blast of winter birds.  I saw a Yellow-rumped warbler, a small flock of Cedar waxwings, and the last of the White-throated sparrows.  It was also a bad weekend for two pairs of nesting Cardinals - a Bluejay(!) raided their nests, literally diving into the foliage and quickly heading off with the nestling - and the parents in noisy pursuit!  That was a new one for me, especially since they really like peanut pieces and I keep the feeder well stocked.

Blue jays eat baby birds!?!?!?!  Yikes.

nebo113

A pair of young cardinals beak to beak appearing to exchange  a seed. 

Penna

Quote from: apl68 on April 30, 2020, 10:01:53 AM
Inspired by a sighting yesterday afternoon, during a blustery walk home to lunch, after the morning's overcast had blown away:

An eagle soaring
At play in a bright blue sky
Looks like so much fun

^I love that!

My favorite recent bird sighting was an adorable Common Yellowthroat I saw hopping nearby while I was out on my porch doing some grading.  I also have a bush right outside my home office window that  sometimes attracts small birds.  Sometimes they pause and seem to be looking directly in at me as I sit at my desk, and it always makes me feel happier!