News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Look! A bird!

Started by professor_pat, May 31, 2019, 11:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishProf

There is a headless rabbit in my driveway.  The squirrels are intrigued.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: FishProf on May 08, 2020, 01:31:27 PM

Ewww. How is this bird-related?

:P

I saw a Carolina wren with his/her fledgling hanging out on the front porch today. Cute.

FishProf

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 08, 2020, 07:30:59 PM

Umm, when the eagle/hawk/vulture/owl/crow comes to get it...it will be?

(This was intended for the Fauna thread)

Or, you could give me the finger for posting here....
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: FishProf on May 09, 2020, 05:49:30 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 08, 2020, 07:30:59 PM

Umm, when the eagle/hawk/vulture/owl/crow comes to get it...it will be?

(This was intended for the Fauna thread)

Or, you could give me the finger for posting here....

Point taken. No fingers needed.

Thursday's_Child

Reports from the last few days:

Bluebirds everywhere!  At least two families, maybe three, seemingly hanging out together (seven in the feeder or sitting on its hanger at once while several others foraged on the ground!)!  I've never seen this before - I'm afraid it might be an indicator of food availability, so I'm stocking the feeder even more lavishly.

Fledgling bluejays, plus one each of cardinal and chickadee.

No titmice yet, but before this last cold snap one pulled several head-sized clumps of fur - I save pet fur and put it out in a suet cage - so they're nesting.

Rose-breasted grosbeaks really hung around a long time this spring, but they are apparently gone now.  I'm now much better at spotting the females.

Catherder

The first Baltimore oriole of the year just landed on my cherry tree (blooming for the first time in 3 years).  Also 3 varieties of warbler are enjoying the blossoms.

And there are now at least 6 families of Canada geese using my lawn-about 30 goslings.

Thursday's_Child

I'm sure I saw an oriole a couple of days ago - a good-sized but slender flame-colored bird sitting on a small branch in a sunbeam doesn't fit much else around here.  Binocs weren't easily at hand, so I can't confirm it.

Bluebirds continue in abundance; a phoebe hung out for several days; pine warbler is back to visiting the feeder (this suggests he's feeding nestlings); and, I got several really close looks at a male blackpoll warbler!

Also, I'm relieved that so many birds who prefer mealworms will eat peanut pieces, because live mealworms are in short supply.  Apparently they became essential for zoos several weeks ago so the various stores that stock them are being strictly rationed.  I got my usual thousand the other day and am trying to stretch it for at least a week.  This does not please the wrens, but they just can eat peanuts and suet dough with everyone else.

nebo113

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on May 21, 2020, 09:40:43 AM
I'm sure I saw an oriole a couple of days ago - a good-sized but slender flame-colored bird sitting on a small branch in a sunbeam doesn't fit much else around here.  Binocs weren't easily at hand, so I can't confirm it.

Bluebirds continue in abundance; a phoebe hung out for several days; pine warbler is back to visiting the feeder (this suggests he's feeding nestlings); and, I got several really close looks at a male blackpoll warbler!

Also, I'm relieved that so many birds who prefer mealworms will eat peanut pieces, because live mealworms are in short supply.  Apparently they became essential for zoos several weeks ago so the various stores that stock them are being strictly rationed.  I got my usual thousand the other day and am trying to stretch it for at least a week.  This does not please the wrens, but they just can eat peanuts and suet dough with everyone else.

Peanut pieces?  Regular peanuts or from farm/pet supply store?

clean

The mockingbirds are out of the nest!
They are 'hunting' in my back yard in the afternoons (last 2 days anyway). 
One in particular is still learning, but wanting to make a good impression. It runs, sort of lifts (rather than opens) its wings and then Looks UP (to see if mama is looking and going to reward him/her with a bug).

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

Awww.....

I remember quite a long time ago, now, what must have been a mother grackle and her baby.

I think she was trying to teach him to find food for himself, but it wasn't working.

The baby kept following her, she'd pull up a bug or something and swallow it, and then look over to him to see if he'd gotten the idea--put head down, open beak, grab food--from seeing it done live.

Instead, he'd hop over closer to her and open his beak and start HOWLING (I'd never heard a bird that small make such a racket) as if to say (as I imagined), "What are you doing? That was MINE! You're supposed to feed MEEEeeeee!!!"

Reminded me of some people I know, actually...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: nebo113 on May 22, 2020, 05:20:01 AM

Pet supply store, for me.  They taste like the roasted unsalted grocery store ones, but cost less.

The only issue I'm aware of is that young birds might choke on the larger pieces.  I see lots of birds hammering them into smaller chunks, but others just grab and swallow (or stuff...).

nebo113

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on May 23, 2020, 07:14:35 AM
Quote from: nebo113 on May 22, 2020, 05:20:01 AM

Pet supply store, for me.  They taste like the roasted unsalted grocery store ones, but cost less.

The only issue I'm aware of is that young birds might choke on the larger pieces.  I see lots of birds hammering them into smaller chunks, but others just grab and swallow (or stuff...).

Thanks.

Puget

Sparrows have brought their fledglings to the feeder. Earlier they were picking up seeds and dropping them in the fledglings' mouths, but the young ones seem to be learning to peck for themselves now.

The grackles and robins have been very interested in my gardening activities and barely wait for me to move out of the way before coming to see what worms and bugs I may have turned up for them. In return they are providing free lawn aeration services.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Catherder

It's a yellow and orange spring.  There are at least 15 goldfinches pecking on the lawn and 5 Baltimore orioles in the cherry tree.

Then there are geese, swans and a great blue heron at the edge of the lake, and red-wined blackbirds, cat birds and robins all over the place.