News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Look! A bird!

Started by professor_pat, May 31, 2019, 11:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishProf

Great Blue Heron in the 3 inch deep Kiddie Pool out back.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: FishProf on May 28, 2020, 03:28:21 PM
Great Blue Heron in the 3 inch deep Kiddie Pool out back.

Awesome! Do you plan to stock it with fish? Just kidding.

The local Carolina Wrens have been teaching their kids how to be birds. I see them around the yard most days.

nebo113

Quote from: Catherder on May 28, 2020, 03:18:17 PM
It's a yellow and orange spring.  There are at least 15 goldfinches pecking on the lawn and 5 Baltimore orioles in the cherry tree.

Then there are geese, swans and a great blue heron at the edge of the lake, and red-wined blackbirds, cat birds and robins all over the place.

WOW!  Just.....WOW!

Catherder

Wow indeed!  I didn't mention the crowd of bumblebees buzzing around the lilac bushes. They are very welcome as long as they stay out of my house.

CBC just ran a story about dandelions and how we should not treat them as weeds because they encourage the birds and the bees.

The impressive crop on my front lawn explains the goldfinches' interest.  There are now 8 geese on my back lawn chowing down on them there.

paultuttle

The cardinals and sparrows are very interested in who I am and what I'm doing, so from time to time they land on the front porch railing as I work in my "home office"--the former dining room--and peer in at the window while I'm typing on my computer or participating in yet another Zoom meeting.

Catherder

Quote from: paultuttle on May 31, 2020, 06:15:16 AM
The cardinals and sparrows are very interested in who I am and what I'm doing, so from time to time they land on the front porch railing as I work in my "home office"--the former dining room--and peer in at the window while I'm typing on my computer or participating in yet another Zoom meeting.

Seems that baby robins are equally social. Yesterday I had a 10 minute chat with one that settled on the window ledge next to my desk.

nebo113

Quote from: Catherder on May 31, 2020, 07:03:34 AM
Quote from: paultuttle on May 31, 2020, 06:15:16 AM

Seems that baby robins are equally social. Yesterday I had a 10 minute chat with one that settled on the window ledge next to my desk.

Were you able to get it to help you grade papers?

Catherder

Nah!  It just flapped its beak at me. I think it wanted a worm.  Then this morning there were two baby robins below my mudroom window waiting on Mom to feed them. She took her time, which reminded me to call my daughter to see if she needed groceries.

namazu

Robins' nest raided.  Broken eggs on the ground.  Alas.  Didn't see it happen, so can't finger the culprit.

cathwen

I've seen a number of chipping sparrows recently.  While they are not rare birds, I haven't seen any at our home in a good while--so it's nice to have them back, with their cute little rusty caps.

mamselle

Quote from: namazu on June 01, 2020, 07:54:18 AM
Robins' nest raided.  Broken eggs on the ground.  Alas.  Didn't see it happen, so can't finger the culprit.

Sorry for the lost baby birds.

Jays or owls, maybe...still sad.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

namazu

Quote from: mamselle on June 01, 2020, 09:54:53 AM
Quote from: namazu on June 01, 2020, 07:54:18 AM
Sorry for the lost baby birds.
Jays or owls, maybe...still sad.
Yes, I'm hoping that some other bird family is doing well as a result.  (Though the local jays and crows are kind of overbearing...and I can't rule out raccoons.)  Nature red in tooth and claw, and all that.

mamselle

Just got this book recommendation from a library:

https://bpl.bibliocommons.com/item/show/5042251980

Might be subtitled, "How to be a Bird"....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

delsur

A beautiful, bright red cardinal moved into my backyard a couple of weeks ago. Has a huge voice! Hope it stays.

nebo113

I just heard that I should not put out a bird feeder in the summer as it undermines the natural need of baby birds to find food in the wild.  Selfishly, I love watching birds at my feeders.  Your thoughts?