RIP: To remember those lost to us, whether close or at large

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 05:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: marshwiggle on October 19, 2021, 08:36:43 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 19, 2021, 08:23:29 AM

Quote from: marshwiggle on October 18, 2021, 09:36:52 PM

The ones who don't commit or cover up war crimes so they can enrich themselves.

Give a specific example.

You know that the implication, here, is that there are no such people?

I'm happy to concede that there are. I'm sure there must be. There are a lot of military officials in the world, and I don't keep close tabs on their careers. At a pass, how about Roméo Dallaire?

Roméo Dallaire suffered a serious mental breakdown from having been prevented from intervening during a genocide. It sounds to me like isolationism is the only acceptable option for you.

...no? I just don't accept war crimes, coups, and other needless interventions. Anybody who commits war crimes is a bad person in my book, even if they fed stray dogs and gave to charities.

War crimes are very  very bad. And most military personnel manage not to commit them.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on September 20, 2021, 10:03:09 AM
The confirmation of the death of Gabby Petito is due after the forensic autopsy tomorrow, but the announcement to the family has been made and investigations have apparently moved towards a likely criminal charge of her fiance, who is himself missing, shortly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogTMRKTsyxQ

Both families are dealing with difficult issues; peace to them all.

M.

The FBI has identified remains found in the woods of an environmental reserve near the Laundrie family home in Orth Port, FL, which until recently had been flooded, as those of Brian Laundrie, Gabby Petito's fiance. He was a person of interest in her murder, and a suspect fugitive in the theft of her credit cards after the confirmed date of her death.

Whatever has happened, both families need peace now.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

pgher

My uncle just passed away. He was in his 80s and was diagnosed with lymphoma a few years ago. Despite being vaccinated and being diligent about mask-wearing, he still got COVID-19. His weakened immune system (between the cancer and the chemo) just couldn't handle it.

Fortunately, he had enough time--several days--that his kids could (almost) all come home to be with him. He was a great man, a kind man. He was lucky, in all the best ways. He made his own luck through a combination of hard work and truly, deeply caring about other people. He is one of the reasons I am so accepting of people different from me. Despite being an upper-middle-class white man, he always emphasized how important it is to see the world through the other person's eyes.

You know, even when it's expected, and even after a long, full life, the end is always too soon. His death will leave a huge hole in the family and his community.

Volhiker78

Quote from: pgher on October 22, 2021, 01:52:54 PM
My uncle just passed away. He was in his 80s and was diagnosed with lymphoma a few years ago. Despite being vaccinated and being diligent about mask-wearing, he still got COVID-19. His weakened immune system (between the cancer and the chemo) just couldn't handle it.

Fortunately, he had enough time--several days--that his kids could (almost) all come home to be with him. He was a great man, a kind man. He was lucky, in all the best ways. He made his own luck through a combination of hard work and truly, deeply caring about other people. He is one of the reasons I am so accepting of people different from me. Despite being an upper-middle-class white man, he always emphasized how important it is to see the world through the other person's eyes.

You know, even when it's expected, and even after a long, full life, the end is always too soon. His death will leave a huge hole in the family and his community.

I am very sorry for your loss. 

mamselle

+1

It sounds like you were all so fortunate to have known him.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Sorry for your loss, pgher. He sounds like he was a wonderful person.

pgher

Thanks all. I hadn't seen him in a few years, but then was able to visit him in August. That was a blessing.

fishbrains

Peter Scolari at 66. Plenty of television shows, and I saw him on Broadway in Lucky Guy.

Once, in an Italian Renaissance literature course we briefly pondered what it would be like to be the television version of Rick Moranis.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

evil_physics_witchcraft

SO lost his estranged brother to an OD. Been interesting over here.

mamselle

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on November 03, 2021, 05:11:09 PM

Please extend my consolation to your SO and his family, and to you both for absorbing the complications and sense of loss.

M.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on November 03, 2021, 05:41:40 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on November 03, 2021, 05:11:09 PM

Please extend my consolation to your SO and his family, and to you both for absorbing the complications and sense of loss.

M.

Thanks.

mamselle

AmLitHist

(I think your dates are off a bit, Mamselle.  It was November 22, 1963.)

mamselle

Quote from: AmLitHist on November 06, 2021, 11:51:36 AM
(I think your dates are off a bit, Mamselle.  It was November 22, 1963.)

Right. I saw a retrospective and started looking up other things; one of them had that title and I was confused.

Apologies.

M.

mamselle

So, to recall the correct date, as noted above...

....and sadly, the 5 individuals, part of a downtown holiday parade, who were killed by an out-of-control driver fleeing charges for domestic violence in Waukesha, WI yesterday evening.

M.