News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fake Jake 2019

Started by RatGuy, August 23, 2019, 12:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RatGuy

Y'all, I think I might have my very own Fake Jake!

He doesn't look anything like his roster photo. In his school ID / roster photo, he looks like a Chris Pine/MBA type. In class, he looks like a Johnny Depp/demon barber type. He mentioned on day 1 that he was from Houston, but then today didn't seem to be able to answer any of his classmate's questions about the city. ("I'm from the West part." "Katy? Sugar Land?" "Uh, no, like, you know, west.") And now I receive an email from him, asking if he missed anything in class today. If he wasn't there, then who put his name on the class exercise?

I'll keep you updated as I look into this.

mamselle

I was just thinking of him (was it Anthroid's student on the old forum?) the other day, reading elsewhere, about someone whose student had changed radically from the beginning to end of the semester, and turned out to have a doppelganger....at least Elizabeth Warren's lookalike isn't asking for money to pose as her on the campaign trail!

It also put me in mind of the way Carol Burnett and her double (Vicki somebody?) both benefitted by turning it into a base for the Mama-daughter skits.

Or Twain's "Prince and the Pauper," as well.

Parallel--or skewed--or diced, minced, and sliced lives, it would seem...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

dr_codex

<Pops popcorn, and settles in for the ride. Go, pseudo-Jake, go!>
back to the books.

polly_mer

For those who need context for the name Fake Jake: https://www.chronicle.com/forums/index.php/topic,126029.0.html

It's a good saga.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

writingprof

Quote from: polly_mer on August 23, 2019, 05:59:00 PM
For those who need context for the name Fake Jake: https://www.chronicle.com/forums/index.php/topic,126029.0.html

It's a good saga.

Thank you.  It's a great lazy Saturday morning read.  And Larry's third post--

QuoteChat with your chair immediately. If these two know they are busted, who knows what bullsh*t they are hatching right now.

--is good advice for the ages and widely applicable.

Caracal

I don't think I'd really have any way of knowing if one of my students was not who they claimed to be. We don't have any pictures for the rosters. I suppose this kind of thing is probably quite rare just because it does take some real commitment. Its one thing to write someone's paper for them, but actually coming to class for a whole semester and taking exams and presumably studying? Ethical issues aside, you'd need to pay me a lot of money to make that seem worth it.

RatGuy

Quote from: Caracal on August 25, 2019, 06:25:56 AM
I don't think I'd really have any way of knowing if one of my students was not who they claimed to be. We don't have any pictures for the rosters. I suppose this kind of thing is probably quite rare just because it does take some real commitment. Its one thing to write someone's paper for them, but actually coming to class for a whole semester and taking exams and presumably studying? Ethical issues aside, you'd need to pay me a lot of money to make that seem worth it.

This class is a gateway class in our department, and there's a departmental attendance policy. The majority of my students who fail this class are the ones who exceed their allotted absences. I could imagine that a student who didn't want to show might hire a ringer to simply be a warm body. Since the work is submitted electronically, the actual student could be doing actual work. But if that's the case, why hire a seat-filler who looks half a decade older than everyone else?

backatit

Ugh, I teach fully online and I really would have no idea if I had a ringer. I don't do proctored tests (I teach humanities and quantitative testing isn't the best way to assess anyway) so I just accept it as a risk.

But if they showed up to a physical class I probably wouldn't notice either, due to a combination of a degree of face-blindness and poor eyesight at a distance.

monarda

Quote from: polly_mer on August 23, 2019, 05:59:00 PM

It's a good saga.

Thanks, polly!
I'd missed that whole thread the first time around. What an adventure!

Begs many questions years later - Where is Jake now? And more importantly,  where is ptarmigan now? On these new fora under a different name?  I can't seem to search for recent posts on the old fora. ...

citrine

Ptarmigan is well but I don't think she's migrated to the new fora.

polly_mer

Quote from: backatit on August 25, 2019, 07:12:16 AM
Ugh, I teach fully online and I really would have no idea if I had a ringer. I don't do proctored tests (I teach humanities and quantitative testing isn't the best way to assess anyway) so I just accept it as a risk.

I had a suspected set of ringers for one student ID based on IP addresses and very different voices participating in the discussion boards for various courses and yet another voice during email with me.  The situation resolved itself when the student officially withdrew from the whole program instead of sending in the official transcripts from other institutions attended prior to being enrolled into the next academic term.

I still don't know what was going on there, but that's the only student who withdrew upon being pushed for transcripts instead of being contrite that the transcripts were still pending into the second 8-week term of attendance and/or asking for help navigating the transcript process at other institutions.

Hegemony

Vicky Lawrence, wasn't it?  On Carol Burnett.

polly_mer

mamselle

Thanks, yes, I was thinking that but questioning whether I had her mixed up with someone else...

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Scout

Subscribing. I'm not missing this one, the first time around!