Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Trendy Words I Do Not Like

Started by Cheerful, September 09, 2020, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RatGuy

Quote from: ciao_yall on September 17, 2020, 08:10:40 AM
"utilize"

Maybe it's not trendy, but it's one of those multi-syllabic words that seems overused. Why not just "use" or "apply?"

I try to use "utilize" when I'm describing using something for something other than it's intended use. Kinda like how I'm always  utilizing a butter knife because I've misplaced the screwdriver again.

Hibush

Quote from: downer on September 17, 2020, 06:07:34 AM
Quote from: Hibush on September 17, 2020, 05:57:52 AM
Quote from: downer on September 16, 2020, 03:47:11 PM
forsooth

Is "Forsooth" trending, or are you exclaiming archaically at the deplorable trendy terms?

I think it is trending as much as many of the other terms being discussed.

A very repeatable phenomenon is that when someone voices a particular grammatical or usage complaint--no matter how specific--it unleashes everybody's urge to unload all their own usage complaints.

Anyone can succumb. Strunk and White's little guide, famous for the admonition "No unnecessary words!" devotes it's final chapter to all the usages that annoyed Prof White.

If he could not resist, what hope do the rest of us have?

I consider it a law of nature.

fishbrains

"Work with students."

If anyone says this in a meeting--as in "Faculty need to 'work with students'"--I now demand a definition and specific examples. It's kind of an a-hole move on my part, but I've yet to find anyone who can do more than stammer through an explanation of what they think they mean by the phrase.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

dismalist

Quote from: fishbrains on September 17, 2020, 10:46:03 AM
"Work with students."

If anyone says this in a meeting--as in "Faculty need to 'work with students'"--I now demand a definition and specific examples. It's kind of an a-hole move on my part, but I've yet to find anyone who can do more than stammer through an explanation of what they think they mean by the phrase.

I believe it means to suspend the rules. Have seen it used that way in the admissions requirements of a certain program.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Cheerful

deleted.

apl68

Quote from: RatGuy on September 17, 2020, 08:30:29 AM
Quote from: ciao_yall on September 17, 2020, 08:10:40 AM
"utilize"

Maybe it's not trendy, but it's one of those multi-syllabic words that seems overused. Why not just "use" or "apply?"

I try to use "utilize" when I'm describing using something for something other than it's intended use. Kinda like how I'm always  utilizing a butter knife because I've misplaced the screwdriver again.

That example you gave would be an awkward substitution, all right.  Butter knives are just not made for opening paint cans or starting cars.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

dismalist

Oh, and another one: Best practices!

What, we were going to use worst practices? Or are "adequate practices" inadequate?
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

wareagle

+1.

And who decides that these practices are the best?
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

marshwiggle

Quote from: dismalist on September 17, 2020, 01:07:53 PM

What, we were going to use worst practices? Or are "adequate practices" inadequate?

How would refer to the most effective and evidence-based techniques ane procedures without using such a long phrase as I just did? For instance, if you're talking about teaching, and you want to talk about things like flipped classrooms, active learning, and the kind of ideas in the "Jedi mind tricks" and "sane course policies that make your life easier" threads, what's the overall term you'd use for that?
It takes so little to be above average.

dismalist

Quote from: marshwiggle on September 17, 2020, 01:26:33 PM

How would refer to the most effective and evidence-based techniques ane procedures without using such a long phrase as I just did? For instance, if you're talking about teaching, and you want to talk about things like flipped classrooms, active learning, and the kind of ideas in the "Jedi mind tricks" and "sane course policies that make your life easier" threads, what's the overall term you'd use for that?

Trendy? :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

wareagle

[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

marshwiggle

Quote from: dismalist on September 17, 2020, 01:45:17 PM
Quote from: marshwiggle on September 17, 2020, 01:26:33 PM

Trendy? :-)

Ah, well that's a different issue; i.e. if you think what's being discussed is basically a useless fad. Are there ever things you see that are changes from how things used to be done that you think should become more mainstream in the future? If so, what do you call them?

Quote from: wareagle on September 17, 2020, 01:46:49 PM
Rich pedagogy?

That sounds a bit more abstract and airy-fairy to me; "practices" sound like concrete things that can be done.
It takes so little to be above average.

dismalist

QuoteAre there ever things you see that are changes from how things used to be done that you think should become more mainstream in the future?

No. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Wahoo Redux

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.