Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Breakfast Thread

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, July 10, 2020, 09:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 10, 2020, 02:42:52 PM
So many yummy ideas.

I ordered more jalapenos and apricot jam (actually preserves). It's the same brand that you mentioned ab_grp. I used to buy a French brand from the farmer's market, but I haven't ventured up there in some time. BM is still pretty good.

Edit: Oh, and hot sauce is a must on eggs. Definitely.

2nd edit. I meant to say that I used to buy a different brand of French jam/preserves, since BM is also French.

Also, maybe Mamselle has half a sandwich today and the other half tomorrow? Chocolate croissants though..... yuuuuuuum.

Liquidambar

Oatmeal with fresh peach again.  This time I remembered to add pecans.  Today's tea:  Earl Grey cream tea with cream and a little sugar.  This is one of my favorite Earl Greys.  I have to special order it from Canada.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

evil_physics_witchcraft

I'm anticipating a kiwi and toast (butter + apricot jam) and also a coffee+milk+sugar.

mamselle

Quote from: OneMoreYear on July 10, 2020, 06:01:24 PM
Quote from: mamselle on July 10, 2020, 02:12:52 PM
Each AM, early:

1/2 chocolate croissant
1 cup cocoa

Second breakfast: c. 10 AM or so.

1/2 egg sandwich (or, occasionally, an omelette, or waffles, or pancakes, but usually the egg sandwich)
1/2 slice of toast with raspberry, apricot, or strawberry jam/preserves etc.
1 cup/tea (first of many for the rest of the day).

M.

This sounds lovely, Mamselle (especially the chocolate croissant), but why half of everything? How does one make a half egg sandwich?

The egg sandwich is made whole on a muffin every other day; I divide it in half and save that for the next day. Saves time, calories, and cholesterol intake...win-win-win.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

Hopefully Im in the HOF:

Breakfast is the most important meal before lunch!!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

OneMoreYear

Quote from: mamselle on July 11, 2020, 03:16:48 PM
Quote from: OneMoreYear on July 10, 2020, 06:01:24 PM
Quote from: mamselle on July 10, 2020, 02:12:52 PM
Each AM, early:

1/2 chocolate croissant
1 cup cocoa

Second breakfast: c. 10 AM or so.

1/2 egg sandwich (or, occasionally, an omelette, or waffles, or pancakes, but usually the egg sandwich)
1/2 slice of toast with raspberry, apricot, or strawberry jam/preserves etc.
1 cup/tea (first of many for the rest of the day).

M.

This sounds lovely, Mamselle (especially the chocolate croissant), but why half of everything? How does one make a half egg sandwich?

The egg sandwich is made whole on a muffin every other day; I divide it in half and save that for the next day. Saves time, calories, and cholesterol intake...win-win-win.

M.

Well that makes sense. I was just impressed at the half of many things.  I don't have enough brain power in the morning to attempt half-portions of multiple things. My breakfast is not worthy of this thread--either toast and coffee or oatmeal and coffee. Black coffee.  When I'm really motivated, toast, egg, and coffee. But I do like to read everyone else's amazing breakfasts--maybe I'll try some of them for lunch.

ab_grp

We just had some fried eggs over leftover roasted sweet potato/mini potato in anticipation of more carbs to come throughout the day.  And coffee!

secundem_artem

Whole wheat toast > a schmear of Vegemite > a blop of guacamole > slice of bacon/Canadian bacon > poached/fried egg on top > hot sauce.

I spent a couple of years in Oz and got a taste for Vegemite.  For most Americans, it seems that Aussies have taught their children to eat shoe polish.  I disagree. Food of the gods when prepared in this fusion cuisine, wot I has invented all by meself.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

mamselle

My chocolate croissants are in halves because it's easier to find good whole croissants, split them, and insert a triangular half-square of Ghiradelli's 72% dark chocolate every morning than find a good source for real 《pain chocolat》.

Heat for as long as it takes the teakettle to boil and the chocolate gets good and gooey...mmmmm.....

Win-win-win-win

;--》

Mmmm.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Liquidambar

Mamselle, your chocolate croissants sound delicious!

This morning's tea:  The Whistling Kettle Snowflake:  black tea with almond and coconut.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Liquidambar on July 12, 2020, 04:41:31 AM
Mamselle, your chocolate croissants sound delicious!

This morning's tea:  The Whistling Kettle Snowflake:  black tea with almond and coconut.

That tea sounds intriguing.

ab_grp

I agree... chocolate croissants sound very yummy and a great way to start the day.

We had an everything bagel with veggie and jalapeno cream cheeses and a fried egg over mustard roasted potatoes with parsley and tomatoes.  I really like these potatoes with the eggs!

mamselle

Saw your mustard roasted potatoes discussion on the dinner thread...

Yum!

Might also be good paired with a pork or beef roast (in fact, a spoonful of powdered mustard is what one French friend puts in all her pork roasts: slight bit of water, turns it once, and leaves it in the bottom of the pan to bake, covered, for a couple of hours...)

<<walks off, singing, 'Nooooooo, I have work to dooooo!!!'......>>

M.

ab_grp

That's a great idea, Mamselle!

Liquidambar

Two cups of tea this morning:  Adagio chocolate truffle with cream and sugar (nice chocolatey black tea that doesn't taste fake), and August Metropolitan ("vibrant black tea with bergamot, plum and clove").

I'm working on my plans for an upcoming staycation.  Since people can't socialize inside because of COVID, but it's super hot outside, I'm thinking breakfast outdoors will be a good option.  Toward that end, I'm about to go shopping for patio furniture, and I've been thinking about breakfasts that can be prepped in advance and easily carried outside (i.e., not last minute stuff like fried eggs).