News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Post your asides here

Started by aside, June 05, 2019, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Certain members of the staff are now receiving weekly commodities distributions.  They are even getting them at work, instead of having to go to fetch them.  They are sharing the fruits, vegetables, etc. that they receive with friends and family.  Sometimes there are more apples and onions than they need, so they leave these in the staff break room.  That's where I get my occasional free apples.  I've also been taking some of the onions home.  I don't know what the situation is like elsewhere, but around here COVID-19 related measures to get agricultural surpluses to those who need it are improving the availability of fresh fruits and vegetables for a lot of people.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

mamselle

That is so thoughtful.

Glad you can make use of them!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AmLitHist

When someone shows you who they are (repeatedly, over a period of months/years, with no variations ever) believe them.

DNFTT.

little bongo

(may or may not be related)

Well, I don't always agree, to put it mildly, but credit where credit is due:

Solid, solid burn, because it is grounded in truth.

aside

[related?]

So, you see adjuncts as oppressed by the tenure-track and cry "injustice," but you can't see see systemic racism and white fragility as real things?

little bongo

Right, then. Irrelevant, incompetent, and immaterial, as lawyers like to say--the kind of response I should have expected. And me wasting perfectly good fish.

But I think I've learned my lesson at last. And to continue the fish metaphor, I definitely have bigger ones to fry.

Ignoring and letting go. Feels good.

downer

I find the "ignore" function is a boon to mental health.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Langue_doc

little bongo

Thank you, downer and Langue_doc. I will investigate the "ignore" function, and commit to the DNFTT philosophy. I could use all the boons to mental health I can get.

mahagonny

Quote from: aside on October 21, 2020, 07:19:43 PM
[related?]

So, you see adjuncts as oppressed by the tenure-track and cry "injustice," but you can't see see systemic racism and white fragility as real things?

White fragility - when you talk about race, white people get uncomfortable, so we clam up. Silence is violence. Stop being violent. Say something. Don't say what you're thinking, read the script and confess. Say what you're thinking, you bigot. Stop being a jerk.

Systemic racism - black people have to attend inferior schools? Let's do something about it, if we have the intelligence to. Let's not incarcerate poor people indefinitely over relatively minor offenses. Give them freedom and another chance. Too many illegal aliens might be bringing down wages at the bottom. Things to think about.

Anti racism is a religion that makes certain white people (mostly affluent)  feel cleansed. It has little connection to a serious results-oriented effort to see more people prosper, live in safe communities and have better lives.

Tenure - if the teaching is done by people who can't make a living at it, something is wrong. Unless this work is not important. If this work is not important then the students are not important. That's where we are.

Langue_doc

Quote from: little bongo on October 22, 2020, 07:08:42 AM
Thank you, downer and Langue_doc. I will investigate the "ignore" function, and commit to the DNFTT philosophy. I could use all the boons to mental health I can get.

Take good care of yourself, little bongo.

downer

Quote from: Langue_doc on October 22, 2020, 08:01:11 AM
Quote from: little bongo on October 22, 2020, 07:08:42 AM

Take good care of yourself, little bongo.

Yes, it helps to be able to focus on worthwhile interlocuters.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

apl68

I just learned that my alma mater's most famous alum is a viral video "celebrity" from a couple of years back.  Wonder whether she'll ever get a plaque on campus?
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

permanent imposter

mahagonny

Wishing good health to almost all.