News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Classroom Victories

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eigen

Another favorite thread of mine was started by system_d back in 2009, and provides a place for us to talk about victories in the classroom- the little things that keep us going.

Quote from: systeme_d_ on November 19, 2009, 07:37:05 PM
I posted about a classroom victory of mine over on the Inhaling thread, but as I was doing so, it occurred to me that it might be cool to have a thread called "Classroom Victories."

I'd like to hear about the things forumites have done in the classroom that were planned well and worked well, or that accidentally worked well, or that were just plain fun.

Have at it!
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

mamselle

Two music students, last week.

One, newish student to me, with a strong background, took something I said about the music in Debussy's 'Claire de Lune' actually being there to set off the silences, and completely revised his playing of those sections. I could hear it in his playing even before he told me that was what he'd done.

I'll have to pass him along in a year or so to someone who can challenge him further, but I'm so grateful to be working with him now.

Other example, my sweet, joyous, ADHD-and-neural-issues student works so hard to make things 'smooth'--our code for no stops, starts, or uncertain repetitions of correct notes. He nailed 'The Entertainer' last week, including his goofy insistance on transposing it up a key the second time through, then turned and said to me "That's the best I've ever played that" (for which it was OK'd with a "Good," because I agreed.)

He proceeded to do riffs on whole notes in the next song, and got some lovely ones going (he "gets" theory and loves improv, which requires major tooth-and hair-pulling for many students who fear not knowing what they're "supposed" to play next.) He then started playing very intently with the chords, following up or chasing something he heard inside. I didn't dare interrupt (didn't want to), it was awesome.

And then he took his review piece from a year ago, played it correctly, and transposed THAT up a whole step (unasked, or anticipated), too.

Thankfulness barely covers it.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Aster

Class: "Are we not getting our exam hard copies back? You used to do that."

Me: "Yes. I stopped doing that last year when I started finding copies of my old exams online. So I made up new exams and nobody gets them back anymore."

Class: "Aw...."

prof_beardo

I had a student pick one of the more obtuse topic options for their term project and then throw themselves with enthusiasm into the first wave of research and out of a rough semester so far, it was a shocking bright spot I needed.

sprezzatura

Do you mean "abstruse"?  I would hate to think that instructors set obtuse topics for discussion!

marshwiggle

Quote from: sprezzatura on September 27, 2019, 05:10:07 AM
Do you mean "abstruse"?  I would hate to think that instructors set obtuse topics for discussion!

Except in geometry.
It takes so little to be above average.

prof_beardo

Quote from: marshwiggle on September 27, 2019, 06:46:31 AM
Quote from: sprezzatura on September 27, 2019, 05:10:07 AM

Except in geometry.

I probably meant "obscure" but last week was a heck of a week.

Puget

Have we seriously had no victories since September?? How sad if so!

I went hunting for this thread because my seminar students are just great this semester. They participate actively in discussions, and they get super into the new gamified activity I've added to each class. Class ends at 4:50, it has been dark and rainy, yet I nearly always have at least 2-3 students (and not always the same students) staying after class to ask questions about stuff that got them excited, just because they are curious.

The new activity does help spice things up, but I don't think I can really take that much credit-- this is my 4th time teaching this seminar and each year is a little different depending on the mix of students, and this bunch just seem particularly adorably nerdy.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

mamselle

QuoteHave we seriously had no victories since September?? How sad if so!

I've had a couple more like the ones listed above; I continue to be grateful for all my students this year.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Liquidambar

I have to revive this thread since I'm in a good mood...

I submitted grades for one of my classes.  Final grades were consistent with previous times I taught this class.  Students' grades were fairly consistent pre- and post-COVID.  We all worked hard, they learned stuff, and I don't have any significant concerns about academic honesty.  I'm calling that a major victory!
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

apl68

Quote from: Liquidambar on May 11, 2020, 08:54:30 PM

I submitted grades for one of my classes.  Final grades were consistent with previous times I taught this class.  Students' grades were fairly consistent pre- and post-COVID.  We all worked hard, they learned stuff, and I don't have any significant concerns about academic honesty.  I'm calling that a major victory!

Congratulations!  It's good to be reminded that even with all the pandemic disruption there can still be worthwhile teaching and learning.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

marshwiggle

Quote from: apl68 on May 12, 2020, 10:11:55 AM
Quote from: Liquidambar on May 11, 2020, 08:54:30 PM

Congratulations!  It's good to be reminded that even with all the pandemic disruption there can still be worthwhile teaching and learning.

Indeed. I'd say Liquidambar should write an article about the pros and cons of the online instruction, since those results are consistent with f2f instruction which should allow for good balance in the analysis.

Liquidambar

Thanks, apl68 and marshwiggle!  I was fortunate to have only upper-level classes this semester, and to be at a school with fairly motivated, privileged students.

I think it helped that I kept the class very structured to keep everyone on track.  We already had weekly graded assignments.  When we switched to remote teaching, I had students continue turning those in by scanning with their phones.  (The assignments involve equations and graphs so couldn't be typed.)  I also added low stakes reading quizzes so students would keep up with the material and I could identify areas of confusion.  Synchronous class sessions became optional.

The reading quizzes worked really well.  I would do those again for in-person classes so I could have more interactive classes with more prepared students.  Quizzes were:  1) Summarize the reading.  2) What questions (if any) do you have about the reading?  3) Easy auto-graded multiple choice question.  They were pretty quick to grade.  Students seemed to like that I answered some of their questions when grading.

Cons:  Remote teaching was bloody time-consuming.  After the first week, I surveyed the class and found they were struggling to learn from the book, so I started recording videos for each section.  They could either read the section or watch the video.  I think it was worthwhile, but it took yet more time.  The other con was that most of the class skipped my ungraded interactive activities.  Pre-COVID, I had relied on social pressure to get students to do those in class.  Post-COVID, they weren't motivated to do them at all.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

marshwiggle

Quote from: Liquidambar on May 12, 2020, 11:28:18 AM
Cons: Remote teaching was bloody time-consuming.  After the first week, I surveyed the class and found they were struggling to learn from the book, so I started recording videos for each section.  They could either read the section or watch the video.  I think it was worthwhile, but it took yet more time.  The other con was that most of the class skipped my ungraded interactive activities.  Pre-COVID, I had relied on social pressure to get students to do those in class.  Post-COVID, they weren't motivated to do them at all.

This is what I've found from adapting one set of labs so far; everything is incredibly front-loaded. Of course, once auto-graded quizzes and so on are set up it should reduce some operational time. The rythm
is very different.

AmLitHist

The pass rates (C and above) were higher for all of my classes this spring, including the F2F sections that got pushed online.  Attrition was high, but the vast majority who withdrew after midterm were ones who needed to go anyway, i.e., students who were already failing miserably before everything else fell apart (in most cases because they'd submitted fewer than half of the assignments to that point).

My F2F students did just fine in the transition, but I use Bb heavily in those F2F classes, too, so there wasn't much of a learning curve for them.  I'm proud of all my students who stuck with it and finished the semester with me, and I told them all so!