News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fake Jake 2019

Started by RatGuy, August 23, 2019, 12:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Quote from: citrine on August 25, 2019, 08:48:02 AM
Ptarmigan is well but I don't think she's migrated to the new fora.

Too bad, but it makes sense.  I don't think ptarmigans are migratory birds anyway.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

RatGuy

Update on Jake

For the last few classes, Jake has arrived late. He takes no notes -- indeed, he doesn't seem to have any material with him. Today he sends me an email asking about the first assignment, which is due Monday. Apparently he does not know what he's supposed to do for this assignment. He also writes that he's late all the time because he's got a class on the other side of campus and it takes him about 20 minutes to make the walk. Now I'm curious, and I pull up his class schedule. He does have a class before mine, but it's hardly on the other side of campus. What stands out for me, though, is his schedule; other than my class, a freshman-level foundational, he's enrolled in 3 other 500-level courses. He's classified as a senior, first enrolled in 2014, but he's also classified as a transfer (rather than a redamit or something else). So, did he enroll here initially in 2014, leave, then transfer back for grad courses? How could he advance so far without taking my course, which I would have thought was a prerequisite for most other gen-ed courses? I guess if he's 5 years older than everyone else, then that would explain the discrepancy between his roster photo and reality. I think I've got more questions than answers now.

dr_codex

I wonder... is this a Fake Jake, or a Flake Jake? So sad to see the quality of stand-ins decline.
back to the books.

mamselle

I think I'd at least mention it to someone.

The discrepancies are...weird...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

RatGuy

A student showed up to class with her hair dyed crimson. Classmates said "You look completely different!" I said, "next semester you'll look nothing like your roster photos and your profs will wonder why." Fake Jake looks up and says, "Yeah, I got that a lot since I got my nose job and cheek implants."

And then the class devolved into a discussion of plastic surgery. So now I know why he looks nothing like his photo. Now I need to learn why a grad student is in a Freshman class.