News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

someone swiped my green marker! Outrage

Started by Aster, September 20, 2019, 08:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aster

It finally happened. My precious green dry erase marker has been stolen.

I accidentally left it in the classroom yesterday afternoon. This morning when I realized the mistake, I rushed back. Too late. It's already been thefted.

Kudos to the professor that only stole the green marker, yet *left every other marker* in the room.

I must find a way to chain the green marker to my person. Maybe one of those bungee things used with small children will work.

Thursday's_Child

'Twas not I.  I have many green markers - I even sometimes use them!  Also, if given a choice, I often prefer purple markers.  Except when the proportions of the classroom require maximum contrast and I have to use black.

Now, if you were complaining that your favorite red gel pen had been swiped, I'd be guilty.

Deacon_blues

Oh no! My university does not consistently supply dry erase markers, so I have become very vigilant about my (boring) black markers. Maybe I should branch out into other colors....

Aster

This is one of the reasons that I feel that chalkboards are far superior to whiteboards.

Hardly anyone steals chalk.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on September 20, 2019, 08:29:18 AM
'Twas not I.  I have many green markers - I even sometimes use them!  Also, if given a choice, I often prefer purple markers.  Except when the proportions of the classroom require maximum contrast and I have to use black.

In my experience, the black marker never works.

Happily, I inherited a desk full of blue markers. :)
I know it's a genus.

Biologist_

I use powerpoint quite a bit in my teaching, but there are some things that I like to draw on the board. Thus, i use up whiteboard markers slowly. However, one of my colleagues in another department pointed out that he can exhaust a whiteboard marker in one or two lectures because he uses the board for everything. Since then, I am a bit slower to assume nefarious behavior when markers disappear from a classroom.

There's a chalkboard in my classroom this term so I don't need to worry about markers. When I have a whiteboard, I usually try to contribute one set of four markers to the classroom population at some point during the term, but I also keep a set handy in my bag in case the ones in the room disappear.

apl68

It wasn't me!  I'm partially color blind, so I have trouble even seeing green.

Then again...maybe I didn't take time to read the label and didn't realize which marker I was taking.  If so, sorry.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

sinenomine

Quote from: Deacon_blues on September 20, 2019, 10:25:59 AM
Oh no! My university does not consistently supply dry erase markers, so I have become very vigilant about my (boring) black markers. Maybe I should branch out into other colors....

A number of years ago, when my university supplied markers, scented markers showed up in one of my classrooms — they were quite disgusting!
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

RatGuy

My classrooms are generally held in Arts and Sciences buildings. These English, Foreign Languages, and Anthropology classes never have community markers, and I'm forced to carry a few with me at all times.

In the Spring of 2019, I taught two honors sections of a humanities course, and they were held in the fancy-schmancy Business building named after an infamous donor. Both of those class rooms had fancy automated marker dispensers! An array of colors! Always available and always working! It's amazing what money can do!

(That building also had those fountains designed specifically to fill water bottles. That, my friends, is a game changer).

mamselle

Hot water dispensers, too?

One library I use has those.

My tea consumption per day has tripled.

As to markers, I always carry a 12-pack with me.

Helps when I want to put all the French verb tenses in different colors when doing a full schema....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Wahoo Redux

Someone stole the eraser from my 10 o'clock classroom.

Who would do such a thing?
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Liquidambar

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on September 21, 2019, 05:31:44 PM
Someone stole the eraser from my 10 o'clock classroom.

Who would do such a thing?

I hate it when that happens.  When we had a new building, nobody thought to stock the new classrooms with erasers.  I kept bringing erasers to my classroom and leaving them for me to use next time, and they kept disappearing.  I think people who taught in all the other classrooms were coming to mine and taking my erasers.

This semester I've been carrying the same eraser in my bag for a month, and I haven't yet needed it for restocking my classroom.  But I am prepared just in case.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

Bede the Vulnerable

I'm not confessing to anything.  But let's just say that someone wanted to return a thefted green marker.  How would they do so?
Of making many books there is no end;
And much study is a weariness of the flesh.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: Bede the Vulnerable on September 22, 2019, 02:06:02 AM
I'm not confessing to anything.  But let's just say that someone wanted to return a thefted green marker.  How would they do so?

Um, this could be tricky, since the goal is to return it with minimal chance of someone else misappropriating it.

Is there a class in the room just before Aster's?  If so, how long is the break?  Are there lots of students usually milling around?  Does Aster tend to arrive early or right before class?

If sneaking into the room right before looks too difficult, you might have to use campus mail.  Just be sure to either use a brand new envelope (this gives you the opportunity to enclose a small guilt offering) OR dig through the dept'l. stash of envelopes until you find one last sent to whomever you'd like to have blamed.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: Bede the Vulnerable on September 22, 2019, 02:06:02 AM

If you have a building key you will need to enter the scene of the crime after everyone, even the custodians, have left for the night.  Enter the classroom.  Put the green marker on the whiteboard tray.  Make sure you have wiped everything for fingerprints.  Simply leave.  Never mention this to anyone.

If your campus has security cameras (ours is poor and does not) or you don't have a building key (ditto) there is nothing that can be done.  Bury the green marker someplace no one would ever look.  Go home.  Never mention it to anyone.  Ever.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.