News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

someone swiped my green marker! Outrage

Started by Aster, September 20, 2019, 08:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishbrains

Sniffing the green markers while writing on the board makes me very, very happy. And sniffy. And maybe a little twitchy.

Just sayin' that I can't be the first person to have noticed this effect.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

mamselle

In second grade, there was a kid sitting in front of me (Hiram Elam, are you still around??) who used to slow down the passing of dittoed worksheets down the row because he'd sit there sniffing them.

Something in the ditto master fluid, I later heard, was sort of like sniffing glue, apparently.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Juvenal

Quote from: mamselle on September 22, 2019, 01:25:49 PM
In second grade, there was a kid sitting in front of me (Hiram Elam, are you still around??) who used to slow down the passing of dittoed worksheets down the row because he'd sit there sniffing them.

Something in the ditto master fluid, I later heard, was sort of like sniffing glue, apparently.

M.
Methanol, I believe.   Ah, the days of spirit masters and purple stains!  I kept a box of unused masters after their supercession and it's probably still around somewhere (with my unused roll of Kodachrome 64), but doubt it's worth putting up on eBay.

Whiteboard markers clearly use a different solvent, as they don't have the quite pleasant scent of methanol.  Now for a "Call de-con" moment, sniff a Magic Marker.  Any whiteboard tragedies when someone thought it OK to use one of them there?
Cranky septuagenarian

aside

Quote from: Aster on September 20, 2019, 08:12:59 AM
It finally happened. My precious green dry erase marker has been stolen.

I accidentally left it in the classroom yesterday afternoon. This morning when I realized the mistake, I rushed back. Too late. It's already been thefted.

Kudos to the professor that only stole the green marker, yet *left every other marker* in the room.

I must find a way to chain the green marker to my person. Maybe one of those bungee things used with small children will work.

Interestingly enough, in the room in which I taught this morning there were only two abandoned markers, both green.  Perhaps it's more migration than theft.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: aside on September 23, 2019, 09:42:33 AM

I accidentally left it in the classroom yesterday afternoon. This morning when I realized the mistake, I rushed back. Too late. It's already been thefted.

Kudos to the professor that only stole the green marker, yet *left every other marker* in the room.

I must find a way to chain the green marker to my person. Maybe one of those bungee things used with small children will work.

Interestingly enough, in the room in which I taught this morning there were only two abandoned markers, both green.  Perhaps it's more migration than theft.

Or, maybe there's something like a wormhole that they can slip through?  I imagine it being rather like the ones used by socks in the dryer.

mamselle

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on September 23, 2019, 10:13:30 AM
Quote from: aside on September 23, 2019, 09:42:33 AM

Or, maybe there's something like a wormhole that they can slip through?  I imagine it being rather like the ones used by socks in the dryer.

Or...

Maybe we know who the thief is!!!!!
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Deacon_blues

Inspired by this thread, I have just bought new markers--a variety pack with black, red, blue, and purple.  Green, alas, was not part of the selection.  I also bought two whiteboard erasers.  The felt has come off of both (both!) erasers in one of my classrooms, and strange to say, the foam handles do not do a good job of erasing!  I'm tired of resorting to paper towels....

Anyway, carry on!

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on September 23, 2019, 03:37:05 PM
Oh!

Anybody missing a purple sock?

M.

I believe I did lose one some years back.  Since wormholes can move through time as well as space, we can't rule it out...
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

apl68

Quote from: Deacon_blues on September 24, 2019, 07:16:47 AM
Inspired by this thread, I have just bought new markers--a variety pack with black, red, blue, and purple.  Green, alas, was not part of the selection.

Maybe for the best, since green markers seem vulnerable to theft/migration/slipping through wormholes.  That might have been what happened to any green markers in your variety pack.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Deacon_blues

Quote from: apl68 on September 24, 2019, 02:48:17 PM
Inspired by this thread, I have just bought new markers--a variety pack with black, red, blue, and purple.  Green, alas, was not part of the selection.

Maybe for the best, since green markers seem vulnerable to theft/migration/slipping through wormholes.  That might have been what happened to any green markers in your variety pack.

Ah! That makes total sense....

Vkw10

What shade of green? I happen to know a supply closet with an excess of neon green dry erase markers. The supply of blue is dwindling quickly, but the neon green appears to be multiplying. Perhaps we could trade? Two neon green for one blue?
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

mamselle

QuoteWhiteboard markers clearly use a different solvent, as they don't have the quite pleasant scent of methanol.  Now for a "Call de-con" moment, sniff a Magic Marker.  Any whiteboard tragedies when someone thought it OK to use one of them there?

If that happens, you write over it with an erasable marker and then wipe both away.

(Wait, did someone just say that on the "Heloise" thread?)

M.

Parasaurolophus

I start teaching proofs today, so the matker situation is very important. I hope nobody's swiped them all (I prefer to hoard the markers I inherited).\
I know it's a genus.

wareagle

Inspired by this thread, I have just bought new markers--a variety pack with black, red, blue, and purple.  Green, alas, was not part of the selection.  I also bought two whiteboard erasers.  The felt has come off of both (both!) erasers in one of my classrooms, and strange to say, the foam handles do not do a good job of erasing!  I'm tired of resorting to paper towels....

Anyway, carry on!

I use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on whiteboards.  Cheap, reusable, and they work great.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum