News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

"Favorite" student sentences

Started by Thursday's_Child, September 26, 2019, 08:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday's_Child

Don't suffer in silence - share 'em here!

"Alexander Fleming discovered that mold was inherited by bacteria."

apl68

And the viruses have been angry ever since, and saying "But Grandma promised me the mold!
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Diogenes

"I know I shouldn't be diagnosing anyone with anything without a license to do so, but seriously, something just isn't right with humans."

cathwen

In a discussion board on the arts in the Middle Ages, one student contributed this gem:

What stood out to me the most is the quill pen. The pens are made from large Goose quills and they are great writing tools. Plastic is so bad for the environment so it is great to see them using a non-plastic alternative for everyday use.

Ummmmm......

mamselle

Well, but it's true!

Environmentally sound ink, you know, and....hmmmm...well, maybe except for the goose.

I was dispirited when I discovered they don't just pluck a few feathers up from the ground in the barnyard.

Of course, I guess if the goose is going to be killed and eaten, better that the quills not be wasted.

Anyway, I have a dozen or so working ones, if anyone wants to try them.

Might need to sharpen 'em up a bit, the kids who (mostly) use them press a bit hard and blunt the tip, sometimes, but otherwise, they're alright...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

RatGuy

Playing "Monopoly" always reminds me of the wise words of the late great Kenny Rogers.

mamselle

"You don't spit in the wind?"

Etc....

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

traductio

Quote from: mamselle on September 28, 2019, 07:25:41 AM

Etc....

M.

Nor do you tug on Superman's cape, nor pull the mask off the ol' Lone Ranger.

These are not in any way advisable activities.

kaysixteen

According to his Wikipedia page literally right now, Rogers isn't dead yet.

Chemystery

Quote from: RatGuy on September 28, 2019, 07:21:04 AM
Playing "Monopoly" always reminds me of the wise words of the late great Kenny Rogers.

"Sometimes you got to fight when you're a man."

marshwiggle

Quote from: traductio on September 28, 2019, 01:51:56 PM
Quote from: mamselle on September 28, 2019, 07:25:41 AM

Etc....

M.

Nor do you tug on Superman's cape, nor pull the mask off the ol' Lone Ranger.

These are not in any way advisable activities.

And those are not from Kenny Rogers, they're from Jim Croce.
It takes so little to be above average.

mamselle

Shows how closely I ever listened to the radio then...

M.

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on September 27, 2019, 07:03:39 PM
Well, but it's true!

Environmentally sound ink, you know, and....hmmmm...well, maybe except for the goose.

I was dispirited when I discovered they don't just pluck a few feathers up from the ground in the barnyard.

Of course, I guess if the goose is going to be killed and eaten, better that the quills not be wasted.

Anyway, I have a dozen or so working ones, if anyone wants to try them.

Might need to sharpen 'em up a bit, the kids who (mostly) use them press a bit hard and blunt the tip, sometimes, but otherwise, they're alright...

M.

An artist writing about pen-and-ink drawing once said that he got all the quills he needed for pens from a nearby pond where migratory geese passed through.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Cool!

I do have one smaller quill from, I think, a pheasant or something similar. It does a lovely job of making fine lines for scrollwork.

But you do have to isolate and clean them if found live, they can carry various tiny vermin, of course.

M.

present_mirth

"These evil desires are birthed into society through sin and christened with putrid breath by ancient sages still barely old enough to comprehend them, but too beaten to conquer the miasma created by these monsters. What names these cantankerous mind-germs are ascribed varies from culture to culture, but, as language is the favorite hilt of morality's sometimes tempered blade, these names bear chief importance in the war against sin."

I feel like someone would rather be writing a fantasy novel than the literary analysis paper I assigned, but OK...