News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Happy Canada Day!

Started by traductio, July 01, 2020, 11:49:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Also worth noting that the CAQ is Québec's first conservative government in fifty years.

If we have anything like a red state here, it's Alberta (which has had one non-conservative government in the last fifty years).
I know it's a genus.

kaysixteen

Mais il n'y a pas des protestants evangeliques en Quebec?

WRT the Canadian quarantine policies, if the Mounties call up the quarantinee, and he does not take the call, what then?  Does the Mountie go by and see if the quarantinee is there, and ask him why he did not take the call?  And if he has skipped out on quarantine, do the Mounties call for an APB on quarantinee?  And when they locate him, what then-- is he hauled off to HM Penitentiary Yukon, or just told to go home and stay there?   

IOW, whatever you all are doing up there, you are obviously doing something right.   Clearly one would expect more cases in your very most densely populated metropoleis, but many places in this country are very thinly populated as well, with vastly more drastic results.

mamselle

I don't know, but am just guessing, that if the French element in Quebec's population is like what I've experienced in France itself, there aren't a lot of strongly identified evangelical protestants overall.

The religious demographic as I experienced was: a) the presence of a smallish but very active, very tight RC community, usually centered around the traditional churches in each town; b) Some expat Anglicans and Lutherans, usually in the larger cities; c) one or two smaller, very fervent Protestant groups, some with original Huguenot roots, most more recent 'upstarts;' d) a huge no. of devoted agnostics, atheists, and 'nones.'

Along the French-Canadian border with the US, mostly in northern New England, if there's a "French church" in town, it's usually Catholic--often set up in the 19th c. as logging in the far north and work in the mill towns drew people across the border (the 17th c. Jesuits on Mt. Desert Island who visited the colonial-era Native Americans in Cape Cod represent just the first such group: by 1717 and 1734 there were secret French and Irish Masses celebrated in private homes in Boston).

Someone else might be able to update my impressions, or correct them entirely, but if there's any latent sense of identity among francophile communities, it most often seems to me to be RC, or secular/humanist/atheistic, rather than Protestant.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

The Quiet Revolution (1960-9) killed religion in Québec. mamselle is right.
I know it's a genus.