Coronavirus

Started by bacardiandlime, January 30, 2020, 03:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kron3007

Quote from: Caracal on January 27, 2021, 04:56:11 PM
Quote from: Kron3007 on January 27, 2021, 04:00:14 PM
Quote from: Caracal on January 27, 2021, 01:51:34 PM
Quote from: the_geneticist on January 26, 2021, 09:32:03 AM

I have my non-majors discuss this topic.  We have some of the same tools (soap, news media, trained medical staff, social distancing) and new ones (wide acceptance of germ theory, a vaccine, respiratory therapists, ventilators, etc.).  The hard lesson is that we know what we ought to do (stay home, don't socialize, etc.), but we are very bad about doing it. 
What's worrying is that we really didn't "beat" the 1918 flu.  It circulated for 30+ years as a seasonal disease until it was displaced by a more virulent strain.

Lots of people have to leave home to work. Economic disparities mean those people are more likely to live with more people who have health conditions that make them more vulnerable. Thinking about everything in terms of individual choices is one of the huge mistakes of this whole thing. Another is assuming that socialization is optional and failing to provide good messaging about how people can do it in safer ways.

True, but in this particular point in time there is a huge segment of the population that simply dosn't believe.  This has been further fanned by politicians and the prevelence of false information.  So yes, even if everyone were on board there are social dynamics that make it harder for some people to follow the advice, but as it stands that is not the main problem.

There are many countries that have demonstrated that if everyone works together Covid can be largely controlled.  These countries all have people in these same jobs and situations (to varying degrees), but can manage.  The science is pretty clear, so it seems to me that the main problem is more related to personal choice in this case.

There's some truth to that, but those countries have also done things to help with those social dynamics. I don't think the two things are totally unrelated.

Yes, definitely.  I am in Canada, where there has been quite a bit of support and our deaths per capita are less than half that south of the border.  There are many other factors at play, but I agree that this is an important factor.  Hard to stay home when you need to eat.

apl68

Our county's number of active cases has declined a good deal in the past week.  We're finally past that long holiday season spike.  I hope we don't have another surge coming.

We now have 22 deaths in the county.  One was a woman my age (early 50s).
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

spork

Editorial saying that CDC's guidelines for school re-openings are too restrictive and not based on science:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/02/12/cdc-report-schools-problems/.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

downer

QuoteContrary to what many believe, remote instruction did not decrease county-level incidence during the fall surge, when compared to in-person instruction.
https://twitter.com/youyanggu/status/1363920599064674305

This leaves me perplexed. Was there good scientific evidence for a move to remote instruction in the fall?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

pgher

Quote from: downer on February 25, 2021, 01:12:51 PM
QuoteContrary to what many believe, remote instruction did not decrease county-level incidence during the fall surge, when compared to in-person instruction.

This leaves me perplexed. Was there good scientific evidence for a move to remote instruction in the fall?

My understanding is that there was good scientific evidence to prevent people from congregating in enclosed spaces (e.g. classrooms). What actually occurred, though, was regardless of what was happening in classrooms (or not, because classes were remote), students continued to do what students do: congregate in each others' rooms, go to parties, etc. My son created a pod of, I think, 6 students and did just fine. My niece created a "pod" of 30+ students. Unsurprisingly, she got COVID.

In general, very few cases of transmission have been traced to classrooms, at least on my campus and at the ones my kids attend. Plenty have been traced to off-campus activities. Going to remote instruction but keeping dorms and frats open was evidently a bad idea.

the_geneticist

Quote from: pgher on February 25, 2021, 08:02:47 PM
Quote from: downer on February 25, 2021, 01:12:51 PM

My understanding is that there was good scientific evidence to prevent people from congregating in enclosed spaces (e.g. classrooms). What actually occurred, though, was regardless of what was happening in classrooms (or not, because classes were remote), students continued to do what students do: congregate in each others' rooms, go to parties, etc. My son created a pod of, I think, 6 students and did just fine. My niece created a "pod" of 30+ students. Unsurprisingly, she got COVID.

In general, very few cases of transmission have been traced to classrooms, at least on my campus and at the ones my kids attend. Plenty have been traced to off-campus activities. Going to remote instruction but keeping dorms and frats open was evidently a bad idea.
Lots of schools are planning to reopen the dorms and dining for Fall.  The reasons are complicated, but I'm sure the anticipated revenue is a major contributing factor.  And students want the "college experience" of living on campus, eating with friends, etc.  I hope that we can get enough folks vaccinated that Fall won't be an utter disaster.

clean

Word out today that we will revert to the 2019 course modes.  So no more hybrid classes.  We will still offer some fully online classes, but no more hybrid ones. 

Plans are for staff to return from remote work in July. 

No word about graduation yet, but I suspect that we will have anohter virtual one this May. 

No word about the start/end dates.  I was a fan of ending face to face instruction by Thanksgiving.  I hope that remains.  I suppose that I can make my schedule so that it works out that way IF they university doesnt make 'the right decision'. 

As we dont know when we will end, we dont know when we will start.  I suppose that there is/was a 5 year schedule, so I suppose that there exists a plan on the books somewhere!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

spork

It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

evil_physics_witchcraft

So, I was on campus the other day and I saw someone teaching without a mask or face shield. Masks are required in all campus buildings. There are even signs on the doors. I can't think of an exception to this...

clean

Report sighting to his/her dean? 

Perhaps take a picture?  Print and then send to dean on paper (no electronic trail!)
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

lightning

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on March 06, 2021, 06:33:50 PM
So, I was on campus the other day and I saw someone teaching without a mask or face shield. Masks are required in all campus buildings. There are even signs on the doors. I can't think of an exception to this...

Doesn't your campus have an anonymous online tip form, to anonymously rat out instances of mask violations?

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: lightning on March 06, 2021, 07:09:03 PM

Doesn't your campus have an anonymous online tip form, to anonymously rat out instances of mask violations?

I'll have to check.

histchick

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on March 06, 2021, 09:10:52 PM

I'll have to check.
You may also want to re-check your campus policies.  At our place, some folks have accommodations that allow them to refrain from mask-wearing.  I can't imagine a faculty member being allowed to teach without one, though. 

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: histchick on March 07, 2021, 09:53:26 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on March 06, 2021, 09:10:52 PM

I'll have to check.
You may also want to re-check your campus policies.  At our place, some folks have accommodations that allow them to refrain from mask-wearing.  I can't imagine a faculty member being allowed to teach without one, though.

Yep, I looked and they do have accommodations, so it is possible that this person is exempt from mask-wearing, but it just seems odd to me. If your health (physical/mental) prevents you from wearing a mask, then why are you teaching in person? I know there are probably a lot of reasons for this, since I don't know what's going in in everyone's life. I will admit, that I'm still freaked out by the event.

apl68

Since yesterday morning I have had a rather bad case of "the flux."  Much worse than anything I'm accustomed to having.  Otherwise I feel fine.  Since looseness of the bowels is one possible sign of COVID, the members of the staff are now looking at me with suspicion.  The lack of other symptoms makes me strongly suspect that it's simple runs.  But I am taking steps to isolate myself and get tested ASAP.  Looks like I'm going to be pre-emptively banished from work for the next couple of days.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.