Random Thoughts Anew

Started by mamselle, May 27, 2019, 09:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Unrelated ^

Too many quagmires.

That is all.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mahagonny

I wonder why a survey about our impressions, as faculty, about the state of the mental health of students, wants to know the race of the respondent.

downer

Every morning Microsoft sends me an email from Cortana which asks me if I did the things I said I would do for students.

There hasn't been anything more annoying since the MS Word paperclip office assistant.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

marshwiggle

Quote from: downer on March 05, 2021, 07:24:16 AM
Every morning Microsoft sends me an email from Cortana which asks me if I did the things I said I would do for students.

There hasn't been anything more annoying since the MS Word paperclip office assistant.

I get that same idiotic email. I wish I had the email of the engineer who designed this "feature" so I could email every day and say "Did you brush your teeth this morning?"
It takes so little to be above average.

sinenomine

I missed changing one of my clocks last Fall, and I've procrastinated changing it since then. Now that will pay off, when I won't need to adjust it tomorrow morning.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

Langue_doc

Quote from: marshwiggle on March 05, 2021, 07:30:48 AM
Quote from: downer on March 05, 2021, 07:24:16 AM

I get that same idiotic email. I wish I had the email of the engineer who designed this "feature" so I could email every day and say "Did you brush your teeth this morning?"

I've learned to delete the emails from Cortana without reading them. I do not want Big Brother keeping track of my emails or other activity on my computers.

mahagonny

Not blending with this place. Not sure I have enough patience and will to try...hmm...pause and reflect.

Economizer

Though far away [as I can get] from  NY/NYC politics, I admit that I am drawn to the controversy about Gov. Cuomo's improprieties. JUST TOUCHING. The guy is getting a raw deal. Perhaps, in the realm of politics, a non invasive caress  to woman is the equivalent of a back slap to a supporter or dais member, etc. The governor may experience an involuntary sensual welcome, even. He is known to be a ruggedly handsome sex magnet by the accounts of media publicity! Furthermore, HE IS SINGLE! If he's "hittin' on a chic" he probably still feels like a dumb teenager when he fails. It is probably better if he goes back to the age old Italian custom of just pinching the butt of those he finds alluring. Those complaining now could have simply said something like "knock it off", discreetly of course.

About the nursing home disgrace, the Gov., I would bet, hates that more than anything that he's ever had to deal with. How about folks and media helping him straightening that out. He damn sure was not
the help he was supposed to get before such events!

So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Economizer

Meant to say he did not get the help he was supposed to get/ Economizer

A gremlin at work??????
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

downer

I get a good laugh when I get emails asking me to donate to the college which pays me peanuts.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

wareagle

Quote from: downer on March 24, 2021, 06:40:23 AM
I get a good laugh when I get emails asking me to donate to the college which pays me peanuts.

We have a major campaign going on today, and I've had two students, the school mascot, and someone from the foundation office at my door encouraging me to donate.  And it isn't even noon.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

apl68

Quote from: downer on March 24, 2021, 06:40:23 AM

I feel the same way about beg letters from the grad school where I spent six years as cheap labor and still ended up with no PhD.

Still like to visit their campus once every couple of years, though.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

mamselle

Didn't someone on the old forum answer an in-school donation request by saying,

"I already do donate. Look at the differential between my pay and the standard for my pay grade around the country...,"

...or something like that...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Cheerful

I also find the donation requests insulting.  Not only due to salary/no raises/other financial matters, but because these fundraising emails never acknowledge the priceless, selfless, major contributions I provide to the university on a daily basis throughout the year.  Maybe I'd be less insulted if they'd at least acknowledge such in their spamming.

Harlow2

Especially annoying are the appeals that come in the wake of failed contract negotiations where admins refuse to go to the table