News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Preparing for Coronavirus?

Started by Cheerful, February 25, 2020, 09:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Speaking of new shipments of cleaning supplies disappearing instantly...

Today a staff member was on hand at a local discount store when their shipment arrived.  She got two cans of Lysol.  Another customer got two.  A third customer took ALL of the rest!  Whether this third customer was stockpiling for herself or buying for a syndicate of friends and family is unknown.

The shipment's sanitary wipes were apparently also gone within minutes.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

dismalist

Most stuff still exists: What's going on is that the stockpiles are moving from stores to people's homes!

Those who hoard could put their hoards up on e-bay and we could bid for it.

Or, if money is not to matter anymore, because prices can't be raised, I'll put in a hoard of cognac. Now, that's a liquid asset. :-)

The cause of all this nonsense? Mass hysteria.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Economizer

I do not think we are ready for this suggestion yet but entrepreneurs could be ramping up on it and be ready to go when restrictions on certain types of businesses are lifted. The result would be thousands of part time business concessions. What am I writing about?  Restroom attendants! I would not want to do it, but there are a great number of men and women who have and who know how to safely work such a post and the services and goods that could be offered. Is restroom (or powder room) cleanliness, security, and proper supply important. CERTAINLY!

In days past larger entertainment facilities, bars, venues, discos, had people working as such. They were not used each evening or at all open hours; however, the money received in an hours time could mount up. Goods could be purchased and services given (with the expectation of a "tip"). Sometimes visitors might be given a word or look of approval (or disaproval). Priceless!

When I was out and about more than I am today, l'd generally tip a dollar or two for the help I  received or, sometimes, just because there was someone attending. Today, that could be a FIVE!
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Hegemony

The key would be making sure that restroom attendants do not have an active infection of the virus. (And I'm not sure how you'd make sure of that.) Otherwise, having them there would just be to increase the chances of everyone else being infected.

Economizer

Quote from: Hegemony on July 09, 2020, 09:00:47 PM
The key would be making sure that restroom attendants do not have an active infection of the virus. (And I'm not sure how you'd make sure of that.) Otherwise, having them there would just be to increase the chances of everyone else being infected.
Being healthy and properly safeguarded and safeguarding would be, and would have been in the past, a part of the requirements of the job and the responsibility of facility management and owners.
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: apl68 on July 09, 2020, 01:12:03 PM
Speaking of new shipments of cleaning supplies disappearing instantly...

Today a staff member was on hand at a local discount store when their shipment arrived.  She got two cans of Lysol.  Another customer got two.  A third customer took ALL of the rest!  Whether this third customer was stockpiling for herself or buying for a syndicate of friends and family is unknown.

The shipment's sanitary wipes were apparently also gone within minutes.

Annoying. I've had trouble finding spray and wipes. I managed to purchase some concentrated Lysol and I may have to make my own wipes using paper towels.

Economizer

Perhaps the recent surge in the number of new Caronavirus cases in many areas of the U.S. has awakened or reawakened sanitation concerns, putting store ordering, shipping, and manufacturing beind again? Ask a clerk/stocker when new shipments are expected. Their "hand held" technologies allow them to research such. I tried a "store to store", 30 mile search for Lysol spray disinfectant last week [different than cleaner].

apl68

Quote from: Economizer on July 10, 2020, 06:20:09 AM
Perhaps the recent surge in the number of new Caronavirus cases in many areas of the U.S. has awakened or reawakened sanitation concerns, putting store ordering, shipping, and manufacturing beind again? Ask a clerk/stocker when new shipments are expected. Their "hand held" technologies allow them to research such. I tried a "store to store", 30 mile search for Lysol spray disinfectant last week [different than cleaner].

I think the hand held technologies are one of the main reasons why shipments are gone so quickly.  They facilitate the instant spread of insider info about new shipments.  Those who get this info and are in a position to respond quickly and ruthlessly have the advantage.  Just another example of the ways in which all kinds of playing fields are becoming less level due to technology.

pgher

Quote from: Economizer on July 09, 2020, 08:33:58 PM
I do not think we are ready for this suggestion yet but entrepreneurs could be ramping up on it and be ready to go when restrictions on certain types of businesses are lifted. The result would be thousands of part time business concessions. What am I writing about?  Restroom attendants! I would not want to do it, but there are a great number of men and women who have and who know how to safely work such a post and the services and goods that could be offered. Is restroom (or powder room) cleanliness, security, and proper supply important. CERTAINLY!

In days past larger entertainment facilities, bars, venues, discos, had people working as such. They were not used each evening or at all open hours; however, the money received in an hours time could mount up. Goods could be purchased and services given (with the expectation of a "tip"). Sometimes visitors might be given a word or look of approval (or disaproval). Priceless!

When I was out and about more than I am today, l'd generally tip a dollar or two for the help I  received or, sometimes, just because there was someone attending. Today, that could be a FIVE!

Who carries cash any more? I do, but my kids don't. At a conference I help organize, this is an issue raised by international attendees--often, the only reason they need US currency is to tip the bartender.

In other news, I stopped by my pharmacy today to get a prescription. From the drive-thru, only ONE of the roughly 8 employees I could see was wearing a mask. WTF?

apl68

Found masks in Wal-Mart today, and lots of small bottles of hand sanitizer.  And that's about it.  Have another batch of masks on order from an online source.  They have fewer boxes of mask on hand than the other day.  Wonder whether the Governor's mask mandate announcement yesterday caused a run on them?  Maybe not, given that there were some left today.

spork

3M N95 masks are impossible to find. Amazon, Home Depot, Walmart, etc. -- nothing.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Morden

The N-95 shortage is a real issue for people who need them for other things--like fiberglassing.

Cheerful

The predicted late July announcements of fully online for Fall 2020 have begun.  UC-Berkeley and several others today.

Watch for more big announcements over the next 11 days!

But, but, wait, students signing pledges to be socially responsible was going to make everything OK!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Cheerful on July 20, 2020, 06:46:10 PM
The predicted late July announcements of fully online for Fall 2020 have begun.  UC-Berkeley and several others today.

But, but, wait, students signing pledges to be socially responsible was going to make everything OK!

Ha hahahahahahaha! We all know how responsible students are...

nebo113

Quote from: Cheerful on July 20, 2020, 06:46:10 PM

Friend of mine teaches at a Texas uni in area with bad covid numbers.  They're opening up as usual.  Friend thinks they will return to online just as soon as date passes to report enrollment.  Money.