The murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis, MN last Monday, May 25

Started by mamselle, May 31, 2020, 09:59:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hmaria1609

There's a curfew at 11 pm for DC tonight:
https://wtop.com/dc/2020/05/dc-protests-of-george-floyds-death-expected-for-a-3rd-night/
During the 10 pm local newscast last night, there was coverage of the protests in front of the White House.

Wahoo Redux

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

quasihumanist

We need to make any death of a person at the hands of police, except in the cases where they have obviously (as a matter of fact, not as a matter of perception) no other option, (and regardless of whether the police actively caused such a death or merely failed to take action to prevent it) a crime.

Part of the purpose is to tell people who think they might be at risk of losing their cool and killing someone or letting them die that they had better not join the police unless they want to end up in jail because they lost their cool.

nebo113

This country was founded to protect white male property owners, a number of whom held enslaved people.  The power structure today, predominately white and male, protects and supports the very wealthy.  Until that underlying dynamic is recognized, nothing will change.  And yes, I am white, female, and therefore privileged.....and very, very sober.

mahagonny

Quote from: nebo113 on June 01, 2020, 05:09:36 AM
This country was founded to protect white male property owners, a number of whom held enslaved people.  The power structure today, predominately white and male, protects and supports the very wealthy.  Until that underlying dynamic is recognized, nothing will change.  And yes, I am white, female, and therefore privileged.....and very, very sober.

Just curious. If male motorists are pulled over more than female ones often for traffic infractions, speeding, burnt out taillight, or other stated purpose, is there an injustice to be addressed?

And please, If anyone chooses to respond, I am not comparing such a scenario to the tragic George Floyd situation. Just interested in finding out what people think.

Aside: I have a friend is 6'4" 250 lbs. He claims large men are pulled over more often than small men.

Cheerful

Quote from: mamselle on May 31, 2020, 09:59:10 AM
I am deeply saddened, and at a loss to understand how one human being could treat another so.

How do we learn from and teach about such situations so as to make a difference going forward?

These statements could also apply to how the elderly have been treated before and during the pandemic.  Where is the outcry and protesting regarding how the U.S. views and treats its elderly?

mahagonny

Quote from: Cheerful on June 01, 2020, 07:34:40 AM
Quote from: mamselle on May 31, 2020, 09:59:10 AM
I am deeply saddened, and at a loss to understand how one human being could treat another so.

How do we learn from and teach about such situations so as to make a difference going forward?

These statements could also apply to how the elderly have been treated before and during the pandemic.  Where is the outcry and protesting regarding how the U.S. views and treats its elderly?

Specifically what? Flu like viruses have a bias against the elderly of course, but it seems to me many are working hard to take care of the elderly. The US has so many elderly because of that. Of course, there is room for improvement.
Cuomo has taken some heat for sending them from hospitals back to the older folks living facilities where they were in close quarters with others. But what's the logic in leaving them in hospital when others need treatment, I wonder. These were calculated risks.

apl68

One of the ironies here is that this current wave of protests was touched off despite the police department in question acting promptly, for once, to deal with the offending officers.  This is an URGENT wake-up call for police departments around the country to clean house.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

marshwiggle

Both the far left and the far right are ridiculously inconsistent and it shows in situations like this.

On the far left, people are in favour of sweeping government power to legislate all kinds of things, but are totally paranoid about the enforcement of laws, and want to restrict that as much as possible.

On the far right, people are paranoid of government legislation and want to restrict their ability to make laws, but are willing to grant sweeping powers to law enforcement.

Centrists feel that in order to have a society, governemnts need to have some ability to make and enforce laws, but because both those who make the laws and those who enforce them are fallible human beings, the powers need to be limited, and monitored constantly.

The extremists have the advantage of being able to make pithy slogans that fit on placards; the centrists have the disadvantage that a Twitter post can't contain the nuance necessary for a meaningful discussion.

It takes so little to be above average.

mamselle

In one sense, yes, it's true they were all disciplined by the end of the day.

But the larger concern is that only the direct perpetrator was charged, and only with 3rd degree murder, while the rest, so far as I've yet seen, were not charged at all--and the three of them, acting together, could have almost certainly saved Floyd's life...so that's a serious concern also.

I went to sleep, very fitfully and slowly, last night, sort of pray-wondering, why didn't people in the crowd step in? Any three of them could have overcome the arresting officer and gotten Floyd up, done CPR, or...something.

I was reminded of the fourth plane on 9/11....where were their spiritual or practical heirs?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mahagonny

Quote from: marshwiggle on June 01, 2020, 08:26:40 AM
Both the far left and the far right are ridiculously inconsistent and it shows in situations like this.

On the far left, people are in favour of sweeping government power to legislate all kinds of things, but are totally paranoid about the enforcement of laws, and want to restrict that as much as possible.

On the far right, people are paranoid of government legislation and want to restrict their ability to make laws, but are willing to grant sweeping powers to law enforcement.

Centrists feel that in order to have a society, governemnts need to have some ability to make and enforce laws, but because both those who make the laws and those who enforce them are fallible human beings, the powers need to be limited, and monitored constantly.

The extremists have the advantage of being able to make pithy slogans that fit on placards; the centrists have the disadvantage that a Twitter post can't contain the nuance necessary for a meaningful discussion.

'And if either the right or the left wing gets total control of the country, it will fly in circles.' Pat Paulsen

Quote from: mamselle on June 01, 2020, 08:26:57 AM
In one sense, yes, it's true they were all disciplined by the end of the day.

But the larger concern is that only the direct perpetrator was charged, and only with 3rd degree murder, while the rest, so far as I've yet seen, were not charged at all--and the three of them, acting together, could have almost certainly saved Floyd's life...so that's a serious concern also.
M.

I suppose Officer Chauvin could be a bully who has intimidated the other cops at some point. Also I have experienced first hand where cops cover things up  for each other (such as negligence) or suddenly become unavailable if you have too many questions. It doesn't have to involve race (and I know you didn't say it did).

Economizer

President Trump has been advised that the most injurious and provocative of the "demonstrators" are the "ANTIFA". It has been supposed in the press that term means "anti-Facists". So who the heck are the Facists?
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

marshwiggle

Quote from: Economizer on June 01, 2020, 10:07:37 AM
President Trump has been advised that the most injurious and provocative of the "demonstrators" are the "ANTIFA". It has been supposed in the press that term means "anti-Facists". So who the heck are the Facists?
Anyone Antifa dislikes, by definition.
It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

Quote from: Economizer on June 01, 2020, 10:07:37 AM

Great. Is the person who advised him knowledgeable, or another hack who got his job by kissing Trump's ass?

Parasaurolophus

The police and National Guard in Kentucky opened fire on a crowd last night. One man was killed (well, murdered).
I know it's a genus.