News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Jerry Falwell Jr. takes leave of absence

Started by jimbogumbo, August 08, 2020, 06:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

I was just reading that last week.

Nothing new under the sun...or the tabernacle roof...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

writingprof

Quote from: apl68 on August 11, 2020, 10:58:07 AM
Quote from: mamselle on August 11, 2020, 09:59:09 AM
Check out Jacob, Esau, and Isaac for an earlier mess...

M.

Or perhaps more pertinently, the High Priest Eli's sons, Hophni and Phinehas.

That is some impressive Biblical literacy.

apl68

Quote from: writingprof on August 11, 2020, 12:48:32 PM
Quote from: apl68 on August 11, 2020, 10:58:07 AM
Quote from: mamselle on August 11, 2020, 09:59:09 AM
Check out Jacob, Esau, and Isaac for an earlier mess...

M.

Or perhaps more pertinently, the High Priest Eli's sons, Hophni and Phinehas.

That is some impressive Biblical literacy.

Well I AM, as noted above, from a family of ministers.  Bible stories from Old and New Testaments were our bedtime reading growing up, along with Treasure Island and Black Beauty.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

mamselle

And besides writing, researching and teaching the liturgical arts (our Italian Renaissance art history instructor told us the first week to read the Hebrew Scriptures, and the next to read the NT, "because a lot of the art you're going to see in this class is based on those two books) I read two chapters a day and have for years.

It just becomes a kind of language--Scriptural narratives become a kind of emotional shorthand, in something like the way Tolstoy saw art: a representation of emotional, spiritual, or metaphoric truth that summarizes the nub of the issue in a scene or a few names.

One forms, and is formed by, ones hemeneutic, maybe.

M.

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

paultuttle

Quote from: writingprof on August 08, 2020, 06:36:08 AM
This is an interesting story.  The photo itself (easily viewable online) is "racy" in only the mildest sense of the word.  Yet it's reasonable to argue that Falwell should be held to the same standard to which Liberty holds its students.  Could one of them post such a picture without consequence?  I honestly don't know, but it seems to me unlikely.

That said, I'm reminded of moments when conservatives cheer a progressive's descent into #MeToo hell, or a progressive's "cancellation."  No, no, no.  If an ideology is illegitimate, it's illegitimate whether it's attacking one's friends or one's enemies.  Leftists should take note.  If you don't like Liberty-style anti-intellectual Christianist legalism, you shouldn't like it when it eats Jerry Falwell, Jr.

Writingprof is correct: We shouldn't be interested merely in scoring points off each other politically; instead, we should be concerned about the disjointedness, lack of consistency, malicious intent masquerading as "truth" or "compassion," and other illnesses inherent in certain systems and ideological positions.

(Just trying to be real here, not defending Junior's choice to share a rather unappetizing selfie on social media.)

All that said, I would much rather have seen Liberty's board pitch Junior out of his position due to the multiple other things he's done that show his lack of ability and questionable morality as a university leader.

nebo113

Quote from: writingprof on August 11, 2020, 06:57:37 AM
Quote from: nebo113 on August 09, 2020, 04:44:24 AM
Liberty students would be expelled for the same conduct, so writingprof is wrong.

Since that is what I said, I suppose I am "right."

Yet it's reasonable to argue that Falwell should be held to the same standard to which Liberty holds its students.  Could one of them post such a picture without consequenceI honestly don't know, but it seems to me unlikely.

Check your language in bold type.

nebo113

Quote from: paultuttle on August 12, 2020, 05:27:55 AM
This is an interesting story.  The photo itself (easily viewable online) is "racy" in only the mildest sense of the word.  Yet it's reasonable to argue that Falwell should be held to the same standard to which Liberty holds its students.  Could one of them post such a picture without consequence?  I honestly don't know, but it seems to me unlikely.

That said, I'm reminded of moments when conservatives cheer a progressive's descent into #MeToo hell, or a progressive's "cancellation."  No, no, no.  If an ideology is illegitimate, it's illegitimate whether it's attacking one's friends or one's enemies.  Leftists should take note.  If you don't like Liberty-style anti-intellectual Christianist legalism, you shouldn't like it when it eats Jerry Falwell, Jr.

Writingprof is correct: We shouldn't be interested merely in scoring points off each other politically; instead, we should be concerned about the disjointedness, lack of consistency, malicious intent masquerading as "truth" or "compassion," and other illnesses inherent in certain systems and ideological positions.

(Just trying to be real here, not defending Junior's choice to share a rather unappetizing selfie on social media.)

All that said, I would much rather have seen Liberty's board pitch Junior out of his position due to the multiple other things he's done that show his lack of ability and questionable morality as a university leader.

Liberty has appointed an "acting" prez.  I never remember the distinction between acting and interim, bu I have a vague recollection that acting signals that he is expected to return....which of course could change.

jimbogumbo

OP here. Didn't start this thread to score points. I'd read many things about prior issues, including the really good Probublica reporting the spork linked to. IMHO it was the many "other" things which led to the dismissal, and this incident was the final straw. Thanks to apl68 and mamselle for the Biblical perspective.

writingprof

Quote from: nebo113 on August 12, 2020, 06:17:04 AM
Quote from: writingprof on August 11, 2020, 06:57:37 AM
Quote from: nebo113 on August 09, 2020, 04:44:24 AM
Liberty students would be expelled for the same conduct, so writingprof is wrong.

Since that is what I said, I suppose I am "right."

Yet it's reasonable to argue that Falwell should be held to the same standard to which Liberty holds its students.  Could one of them post such a picture without consequenceI honestly don't know, but it seems to me unlikely.

Check your language in bold type.

I wish others would weigh in, because now I'm beginning to doubt my own sanity.  It seems clear to me that the message of my words was "It seems to me unlikely that a Liberty student could post such a picture without consequence."

apl68

Quote from: jimbogumbo on August 12, 2020, 06:27:23 AM

OP here. Didn't start this thread to score points. I'd read many things about prior issues, including the really good Probublica reporting the spork linked to. IMHO it was the many "other" things which led to the dismissal, and this incident was the final straw. Thanks to apl68 and mamselle for the Biblical perspective.

Yes, this was surely a last straw in a long line of increasingly disturbing and embarrassing incidents.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

Ruralguy

He's the Steve Bannon of College Presidents. Religion is just a racket for him, most likely.

ciao_yall

spork

Thy shalt not covet thy neighbor's bisexual pool boy.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.