News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Biden Administration

Started by mythbuster, November 12, 2020, 12:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaysixteen

If Blue Dog or other southern or moderate Dems do nuke Biden's stimulus plan, why on earth would they do so?   These people certainly have many a constituent who could well benefit from such stimulus.   Heck, so does Moscow Mitch.   Granted, many of these constituents have been duped by bad economics and, quite frankly also bad theology, but why wouldn't at least Dem politicians try hard to educate them, esp since such stimulus efforts would benefit the entire country.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: kaysixteen on January 17, 2021, 06:43:32 PM
If Blue Dog or other southern or moderate Dems do nuke Biden's stimulus plan, why on earth would they do so?   These people certainly have many a constituent who could well benefit from such stimulus.   Heck, so does Moscow Mitch.   Granted, many of these constituents have been duped by bad economics and, quite frankly also bad theology, but why wouldn't at least Dem politicians try hard to educate them, esp since such stimulus efforts would benefit the entire country.

Same reason that Manchin wants to prevent adequate stimulus cheques from going out. They're fucking morons in thrall to bad economics and worse ethics.

(Not that we should grant any credibility to Economizer's randomated musings.)
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Now Graham wants Schumer to cancel the Senate portion of the impeachment proceedings "for the good of the country."

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/17/graham-schumer-senate-vote-canceling-impeachment-trial-460014

What kind of emotional blackmail is that?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

kaysixteen

We'll say one thing for ol' Moscow Mitch, he's got balls.

Welcome to the Minority, pal.   Now sit down and shut up.

As to Mnuchin and other assorted bad actor Trumpanzees, obviously *they* will act this way, and have done a great job snowing the iggerint with their bad economics and bad morality, but the Dems should actively engage their constituents, esp in places like East Muleshoe, KY, with the reality here.   They have little to lose in so doing.

ciao_yall

Because people don't want to believe they are dependent on the government, even if they are. So making sure they know that "the gummint" is giving checks to "lazy people" which now includes themselves, well...

Hence "Keep the government out of my Medicare" signs.

Economizer

There is an enormous difference in "nuking" proposed expenditures and "paring them down". I think that direct money to the citizenry will be the least affected of those currently discussed. For a while anyway, some congressional legislators will make good arguments that money is real and that unrealistic proposals will have damaging consequences now and in the future.
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Economizer

Quote from: kaysixteen on January 17, 2021, 07:38:59 PM
We'll say one thing for ol' Moscow Mitch, he's got balls.

Welcome to the Minority, pal.   Now sit down and shut up.

As to Mnuchin and other assorted bad actor Trumpanzees, obviously *they* will act this way, and have done a great job snowing the iggerint with their bad economics and bad morality, but the Dems should actively engage their constituents, esp in places like East Muleshoe, KY, with the reality here.   They have little to lose in so doing.
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 17, 2021, 06:47:33 PM

Same reason that Manchin wants to prevent adequate stimulus cheques from going out. They're fucking morons in thrall to bad economics and worse ethics.

(Not that we should grant any credibility to Economizer's randomated musings.)

Are there any Blue Dog Democrats still about?  Moderates? To refresh my opinion, I've really not heard anything about or from either of them lately!

So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

kaysixteen

With the Dem majorities in both houses as slim as they are, it would not take many Blue Doggies to ruin things.  Indeed, the Senate being what it is, my hidden fear is that Manchin could be induced to switch parties, much like WV Gov. Justice did in 2017.   There really do not seem to be many Democrats left in WV, and these people, largely very ignorant and eager to demonstrate their opposition to elites, have doubled down on their choice to support the party that does not have their best interests at heart.

Cheerful

Other than some rhetoric, a commitment to encouraging/enforcing mask-wearing where possible, Dr. Fauci in the media 24/7, Biden displaying a notebook at a press conference, and a pledge of financial aid to those struggling economically, I see nothing major and tangible on Covid so far from the Biden Administration.  Am I missing something?

mamselle

Some of those issues will take full congressional action (protocols for which are still being hammered out) and can't be taken care of by Executive degree. And there are still issues arising about Covid's new mutations, responses to shots, etc., that are probably making some recommendations uncertain.

He can't undo 4 years of nonsense overnight by himself, basically. And it's probably wiser to take time to sort out the issues in some of those cases, too.

I might have wanted someone else, but I do trust him to get there.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Puget

Quote from: Cheerful on January 25, 2021, 11:49:10 AM
Other than some rhetoric, a commitment to encouraging/enforcing mask-wearing where possible, Dr. Fauci in the media 24/7, Biden displaying a notebook at a press conference, and a pledge of financial aid to those struggling economically, I see nothing major and tangible on Covid so far from the Biden Administration.  Am I missing something?

Executive actions list-- a bunch are Covid related: https://www.federalregister.gov/presidential-documents/executive-orders/joe-biden/2021

Most other things depend on congress passing the relief bill he sent them on day 1. Remember, congress controls the budget, not the president.

Also, I know we all want things fixed immediately, but maybe give it more than 5 days before getting impatient? Especially since they didn't get cooperation during the transition and have to sort out the mess starting now.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Cheerful

Quote from: Puget on January 25, 2021, 03:48:37 PM
Quote from: Cheerful on January 25, 2021, 11:49:10 AM

Executive actions list-- a bunch are Covid related: https://www.federalregister.gov/presidential-documents/executive-orders/joe-biden/2021

Most other things depend on congress passing the relief bill he sent them on day 1. Remember, congress controls the budget, not the president.

Also, I know we all want things fixed immediately, but maybe give it more than 5 days before getting impatient? Especially since they didn't get cooperation during the transition and have to sort out the mess starting now.

I'm familiar with all the Executive Orders.  The transition excuse isn't convincing.  They've had months to plan, consult with all the relevant experts, etc.  I thought a campaign promise was to make a big difference fighting Covid.  Like vaccine production and distribution, immediately.  For many dramatic and sad reasons, there is no time to waste.  Many governors (D and R) have also been less than stellar and transparent.

When do you think we'll see some real results?

mamselle

Here's a part of the same answer:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/senate-gridlock-threatens-biden-agenda/2021/01/23/6119e512-5cf3-11eb-b8bd-ee36b1cd18bf_story.html

And I suspect when you have to take time away from planning in the last two weeks to sort out issues like extra security, re-vamping all the inaugural plans because, crazed people taking over the Capitol, and all--well, yeah.

Proper process takes time.

M.

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on January 25, 2021, 04:46:08 PM
Here's a part of the same answer:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/senate-gridlock-threatens-biden-agenda/2021/01/23/6119e512-5cf3-11eb-b8bd-ee36b1cd18bf_story.html

And I suspect when you have to take time away from planning in the last two weeks to sort out issues like extra security, re-vamping all the inaugural plans because, crazed people taking over the Capitol, and all--well, yeah.

Proper process takes time.

M.

Sorry for the double, but the glacier named McConnell has made a tiny bit of forward movement:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/25/politics/senate-republicans-power-sharing-deal/index.html

The pragmatic issue of not wasting energy, time, and good will on proposals that will die in committees still run by Repubs, or bringing things to discussion or vote when the filibuster looms over all is a part of the delay.

The wheels may grind slowly, but you do have to let them grind. A President trying to short-circuit the process by strong-arming people was what got us in this mess.

Any other way than the right way means they've won in the larger debate over how things get done for the best of all concerned.

M.

Parasaurolophus

For the historical forum record: the "jobs" plan that just dropped is a huge net good, even despite its failings.
I know it's a genus.