News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Post For Stuff You Wanna Tell People

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 17, 2019, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

You're welcome!

This article just appeared that was very interesting, too...

https://lithub.com/how-do-writers-without-access-to-books-develop-a-craft/

And I agree, yea, Tate's! (Rich as they are...!)

Their Coconut Cookies are the Rondellos I fell in love with in the UK in 1973, and could never find an equivalent stateside.

Thump-thump....thump....thump-thump....(beating heart won't be still....)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

I only vaguely remember the children's songs and lullabies I sang as a kid.

Turns out I remember a lot of the hymns I had to sing every morning in high school, though.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

We might have bought one of the most expensive infant car seats, but man, it sure is a dream to use and adjust.

My memories of my sisters' car seats had me terrorized, but this one is fab.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 09, 2021, 04:08:39 PM
We might have bought one of the most expensive infant car seats, but man, it sure is a dream to use and adjust.

My memories of my sisters' car seats had me terrorized, but this one is fab.

A car seat that is easy to install, use, extract, etc. is a complete treasure! Trying to wrangle a baby/child and who knows what else is going on in the environment can be a real challenge to make it through without tearing out of hair or similar (or worse).  So happy you found a great one!

Vkw10

A librarian friend sent me a link to a blog post from McGill University library, https://news.library.mcgill.ca/a-giant-medieval-puzzle/, with lovely medieval manuscript pages. The brief mention of Cantus: A Database for Latin Ecclesiastical Chant made me think of Mamselle, as the only person I know whose research is related to music and theology.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

apl68

Quote from: Vkw10 on April 09, 2021, 07:04:10 PM
A librarian friend sent me a link to a blog post from McGill University library, https://news.library.mcgill.ca/a-giant-medieval-puzzle/, with lovely medieval manuscript pages. The brief mention of Cantus: A Database for Latin Ecclesiastical Chant made me think of Mamselle, as the only person I know whose research is related to music and theology.

There's a big need for that sort of detective work to reconstruct medieval manuscripts.  In the past illuminated manuscripts were often butchered into saleable individual pages.  Sort of like how vintage magazines are plundered today to get those full-page ads you see for sale in antique places and on E-Bay.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Quote from: apl68 on April 10, 2021, 06:23:17 AM

There's a big need for that sort of detective work to reconstruct medieval manuscripts.  In the past illuminated manuscripts were often butchered into saleable individual pages.  Sort of like how vintage magazines are plundered today to get those full-page ads you see for sale in antique places and on E-Bay.

Thanks, yes, Cantus is a significant resource, and it grew intelligently, shepherded by Ruth Steiner, from one if those "little search-engines-that-could" tiny database programs at CUA in the 80s/90s to a seriously useful program now.

I had stacks of offprints from it in the 90s (hmmm...still do, it appears...) and their "familiarity programs" at conferences like K'zoo included presentations by folks like Anonymous 4, a couple years back, now, explaining how they used the database to find the pieces they worked on for their then-latest CD, and how they'd used a couple new features to trim their search further, etc 

Then they sang one for us....

Bliss.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Vkw10

Quote from: mamselle on April 10, 2021, 05:57:29 PM
Quote from: apl68 on April 10, 2021, 06:23:17 AM

Thanks, yes, Cantus is a significant resource, and it grew intelligently, shepherded by Ruth Steiner, from one if those "little search-engines-that-could" tiny database programs at CUA in the 80s/90s to a seriously useful program now.

I had stacks of offprints from it in the 90s (hmmm...still do, it appears...) and their "familiarity programs" at conferences like K'zoo included presentations by folks like Anonymous 4, a couple years back, now, explaining how they used the database to find the pieces they worked on for their then-latest CD, and how they'd used a couple new features to trim their search further, etc 

Then they sang one for us....

Bliss.

M.
Thanks, apl68 and mamselle. I enjoyed the illustrations, but had never thought about manuscript fragments as a scholarly puzzle or realized that such databases would be used by familiar artists. I have CDs by Anonymous 4, but never considered how they located the music I enjoy.

mamselle

I have met more musicians who perform medieval works sitting beside them at a microfilm reader or in archival libraries....

One, a couple years ago, used exceprts from one of my transcriptions to "thread" a program's pieces together.

That was pretty cool, too.

M.

P.S. I should clarify, in most cases these are not fragments being reunited (although there are folks doing that kind of work, too...the people who study Beneventan script know where ALL the little backing pieces, originally written in Beneventan, then later cut up and used to fill in book spines, are located...)

Cantus' biggest service is making it possible to look at variants of standard chants in many different sources at once, rather than having to run all over Europe and the US to visit the libraries that have those manuscripts, and study them in place.

Of course, there's certainly something to be said for doing that, if you must, as well...

Parasaurolophus

I just beatboxed the hatchling to sleep from an all-out cry.
I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

namazu

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 11, 2021, 05:16:24 PM
I just beatboxed the hatchling to sleep from an all-out cry.
(Very quiet) High-five! 

Ours cut tooth #1 today.

mamselle

This looks like a cool opportunity for someone interested in crab parasitology:

https://phys.org/news/2021-04-retracing-professor-replicate-fieldwork-years.html

They're replicating the northern coastal part of the study, around Seattle, but the whole southern US-to-Baja Pacific coast is still up for grabs...

M.

Bbmaj7b5

Fun fact: The fabled Texas Power Grid is not, in fact, completely isolated. There is a DC connection in Arkansas. Presumably when this sort of thing happens again, some kind soul would be able to jump the entire grid with a 9 volt battery.

Vkw10

Quote from: Bbmaj7b5 on April 15, 2021, 04:15:59 AM
Fun fact: The fabled Texas Power Grid is not, in fact, completely isolated. There is a DC connection in Arkansas. Presumably when this sort of thing happens again, some kind soul would be able to jump the entire grid with a 9 volt battery.

Texans are being asked to conserve energy because damaged grid may not be able to cope with peak summer demand. Also in Texas news, should ERCOT install a batch of natural gas backup generators produced by Warren Buffett? Pretty sure Buffett isn't producing and ERCOT doesn't install, but I'll give them time to post corrections before I read past headline. Other headlines mention guns (reduce restrictions) and abortion (increase restrictions) and testing (can't skip K12 testing). And people wonder why I'm not buying a house here.