News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Gladly.

I've been propping up a situation that isn't likely to last much longer, and I'm getting tired of it. It also looks as if I'll be washed out with the tide if it goes, so I'm scrambling now to do CV and resume updates on my various online sites, and to start thinking about how nimble I can be if things go as they look like they could.

So...let's see....RED for rage at the center (because...well, just because)...and maybe GREEN next because it's the complementary opposite so it will make the strongest contrast...and...I dunno...what do you suggest for tier three??

And do we need a couple of whetstones to sharpen the darts on? Or how do you sharpen darts?

Boy, didn't think I was this mad, but apparently the imagaic options brings it out...!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

So... to turn in my final grades, i have to:

• Manually enter them into an online form that's not part of the regular CMS. (Fine, that's not entirely unusual, apart from the manual part.)
  • Fill out one of those exam booklets and have a colleague counter-sign it. (!)

And because it's the summer session, I have one day (today) to do it, rather than the usual two weeks. Sigh. I wonder if anyone will even be around.
I know it's a genus.

downer

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 24, 2019, 07:02:42 AM
So... to turn in my final grades, i have to:

• Manually enter them into an online form that's not part of the regular CMS. (Fine, that's not entirely unusual, apart from the manual part.)
  • Fill out one of those exam booklets and have a colleague counter-sign it. (!)

And because it's the summer session, I have one day (today) to do it, rather than the usual two weeks. Sigh. I wonder if anyone will even be around.

#2 seems cruel and unusual. The one day deadline is the kind of thing that would lead me to put the final exam 2 weeks before the end of the session.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Parasaurolophus

Just did it. Not only did I have to list every assignment and grade for each student, but the final grades list is alphabetized differently from what Moodle gives me. So... major hubting and pecking.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Is "hubting" something only Parasaurolophi do?

,<...ducks and runs...>

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

histchick

Quote from: mamselle on June 23, 2019, 05:15:42 PM

So...let's see....RED for rage at the center (because...well, just because)...and maybe GREEN next because it's the complementary opposite so it will make the strongest contrast...and...I dunno...what do you suggest for tier three??

And do we need a couple of whetstones to sharpen the darts on? Or how do you sharpen darts?

Superduperspecial Snowflake Opaque Paint (works for students, administrators, and and other doofuses we encounter!) As for the darts, I'm thinking that a Swiss Army Knife can do anything, but I will defer to those  with more experience in such matters. 

mamselle

Definitely need that paint for my Ex. Dir. right now.

He's trying to paddle up two creeks at once and wants me to navigate.

I'm bailing (all meanings intended...)

M.

Bbmaj7b5

I was asked to approve a proposal in routing on which I am a co-PI. Budget was suddenly very different than what I had agreed to. A few tense emails later, all was set to right. This made me think of all the other times I just sort of approved stuff.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: mamselle on June 24, 2019, 12:43:59 PM
Is "hubting" something only Parasaurolophi do?

,<...ducks and runs...>

M.

Avakyrwkt!

(Absolutely!)
I know it's a genus.

drbrt

I somehow was allowed to book an insanely short layover on tomorrow's international flight and thunderstorms are forecast. Now I have to get up at the crack of dawn to get on standby for earlier connecting flights. Self, you really need to stop doing this to yourself. Flying is stressful enough without help.

downer

Quote from: drbrt on June 26, 2019, 07:57:15 PM
I somehow was allowed to book an insanely short layover on tomorrow's international flight and thunderstorms are forecast. Now I have to get up at the crack of dawn to get on standby for earlier connecting flights. Self, you really need to stop doing this to yourself. Flying is stressful enough without help.

I didn't know you could do that. Good luck!
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

drbrt

Quote from: downer on June 27, 2019, 05:17:09 AM

Oh, there's a fee to do it, but I'm not risking a 56 minute layover on an international flight through Atlanta if I don't have to. I'm mostly mad I didn't notice when I booked. I didn't pay enough attention to the minutes and thought I had a more reasonable two hours. I got on a better connecting flight. Hanging out at Atlanta all afternoon but that's better than missing my flight.

histchick

Quote from: drbrt on June 27, 2019, 05:45:42 AM
Quote from: downer on June 27, 2019, 05:17:09 AM

Oh, there's a fee to do it, but I'm not risking a 56 minute layover on an international flight through Atlanta if I don't have to. I'm mostly mad I didn't notice when I booked. I didn't pay enough attention to the minutes and thought I had a more reasonable two hours. I got on a better connecting flight. Hanging out at Atlanta all afternoon but that's better than missing my flight.

As they say down here, "To get to Hell, one must first change planes in Hartsfield-Jackson." 

Thursday's_Child

Toys whose use requires supervision by a responsible adult.  What is this world coming to?

bioteacher

Dear Neighbors,

It is Sunday, June 30th. Some of us have to be up at O-Dark-Thirty to go to our jobs. We do NOT need your fireworks. It is not a holiday. Tomorrow is not a holiday, either. There is no reason to subject all of the neighborhood to the sound of things that go BOOM and KABAM. Many veterans, housepets, and groups of wildlife find the noise alarming and traumatizing. Leave it to the professionals.

I say this as a parent to a pair of kids (one nineteen) who will be permitted to watch their father set off some very low-level stuff in the driveway, during daylight, with proper eye protection and fire safety gear in hand on July 4th. None of it will be very noisy. None of it will pose a disruption to sleep.

Thank you,
The Grumpy Old Lady