News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volhiker78

Thanks everyone.  Little One is healing well and is walking better now. She still hisses when we enter the room but will let us hold her for short periods.  I mainly just hang out in the room and talk to her.

We have fostered kittens for our Humane Society several times so we know it is hard to give them up.  Never fostered an injured feral so this is new.  No, I wouldn't take that bet. 

citrine

Well, if you're going to foster fail, it might as well be with this one...

Slightly good news: the Head Cat Whisperer at the shelter has taken Charlie home for a TLC-filled long weekend. Hopefully that will help him some, or, well, if it doesn't, someone will be with him all the time.

AmLitHist

Little Cat sits by me and "helps" while I'm at my desk. This frequently involves conning me into giving her treats. (She has me trained.)

Yesterday she was playing with her Snacky Mouse, batting it around to get the treats to fall out. It got very quiet, and when I looked to see why, she was sitting there with a forlorn expression:  she batted it and its head fell off. I guess she thought she killed it.

(I put the head back on, and all was well again.)

mamselle

Quote from: citrine on August 30, 2019, 06:32:22 PM
Well, if you're going to foster fail, it might as well be with this one...

Slightly good news: the Head Cat Whisperer at the shelter has taken Charlie home for a TLC-filled long weekend. Hopefully that will help him some, or, well, if it doesn't, someone will be with him all the time.

Prayers and good thoughts you have--Charlie, the cat-whisperer, and all others who care for him (pun well-intended).

Also skritches, if he wants them...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

citrine

Even better news as of yesterday: someone who met Charlie earlier in the month has approached the shelter about adopting him. He will come back to the shelter on Wednesday to see the vet and then perhaps he will go home with this lovely woman who said "yes, I would like this ten year old blind cat who may need regular sub-q fluids and to be hand fed his cat food" instead of wanting one of the thirty kittens or forty healthier and/or younger adult cats that we currently have.

citrine

Charlie went home yesterday and is doing very well with his new human, according to the Head Cat Whisperer. We are all pleased. I hope to not see him again unless he is visiting for a vet checkup.

mamselle

Yea!

Happy sequel to his story.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

onehappyunicorn

As I was making dinner a few weeks ago one of our cats wandered into the kitchen, flopped down, and stretched out. When she got up there was a pretty good amount of blood there on the floor. Turns out she had an inch and a half long slice behind her front left leg. She seemed pretty nonchalant about it considering she was bleeding everywhere.

It was a Sunday so off to animal emergency room we go for the next four hours. Three stitches, 400 bucks, and two weeks stuck in the cone of shame because she couldn't leave the wound alone. All of our cats are indoors only so we still don't know how she managed to cut herself like that.

mamselle

Awww..sorry for the mean Cone of Shame, but glad you caught it in time!

A jagged edge somewhere? Even a sharp piece of cardstock, hit while jumping up or down, might have torn the skin....

Poor kitty (and poor you in the pecuniary sense!)

M.

0susanna

Quote from: onehappyunicorn on September 11, 2019, 05:25:05 AM
As I was making dinner a few weeks ago one of our cats wandered into the kitchen, flopped down, and stretched out. When she got up there was a pretty good amount of blood there on the floor. Turns out she had an inch and a half long slice behind her front left leg. She seemed pretty nonchalant about it considering she was bleeding everywhere.

It was a Sunday so off to animal emergency room we go for the next four hours. Three stitches, 400 bucks, and two weeks stuck in the cone of shame because she couldn't leave the wound alone. All of our cats are indoors only so we still don't know how she managed to cut herself like that.
Of course it was a Sunday. How do they always manage to wait until the weekend to manifest mysterious wounds, collywobbles, or other emergency ailments? But of course, care is necessary.
I hope she's healing well.

geoteo

Children are exactly the same!  I cannot count the number of Friday nights I spent in the ER with our asthmatic offspring because they got sick at the very moment our GP was herding his family onto a plane for a visit to Jamaica.  It is similar to the start-wheezing signal that is triggered as soon as Mom puts her head on the pillow.  If we could figure out what causes it, we might be able to stop it!

the_geneticist--do you have any updates?

onehappyunicorn

Yes, it is undoubtedly a mystery as to the timing. The last time we had to take a kitty into the emergency was when my wife and I were out on vacation and my sister was house sitting.

Sushi is healing well, thank you. She is sweet but kinda dim, my guess is she wedged herself behind something and got caught. It was a pretty deep cut though the edges of the wound were really clean so who knows.

mamselle

It is very hard to teach a good but clinically hyperactive 12-year-old boy his piano lesso when his two adorable 3-month-old marmalade tabbies are having a case of the zoomies around your feet.

That is all...

M.

citrine

One of my favorite shelter cats, Squish (a favorite in part because he reminded me in appearance and temperament of Brucey), has finally gotten adopted after many months with us. I will miss his cranky meows every time I dared to spend time with another cat, but I'm so glad he has a home now.

FishProf

After a year and a half of training Elektra to give head-butts by using treats as reinforcement, she has finally got it.

Now, she won't stop.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.