News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Post For Stuff You Wanna Tell People

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 17, 2019, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

namazu

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 15, 2021, 08:39:05 PM
I would ask on my community's FB page, but it seems kinda rude to post a picture of weird poo!
My neighborhood FB page would be much livelier if people posted pictures of weird poo!

You can at least rule out wombats.  Continent notwithstanding, they poop cubes rather than globules.  I suspect someone (possibly even you?) probably already linked to that article here.

apl68

I found an odd set of prints crossing much of the library's lot this morning.  It's something small.  Probably a varmint of some kind, or maybe a cat.  They're sunk too deep to be able to see the shape of the foot.

I've also seen what appear to be deer tracks on the edge of my yard.  That's surprising.  Although I do live near the edge of town, I had never supposed that they ventured through people's front yards in the neighborhood at night.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Puget

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 15, 2021, 08:39:05 PM
I was bushwhacking in the woods the other day, and found several piles of strange scat, a fair hike apart. I wonder what it is? I guess it's probably just really weird deer scat (really quite large, in a soft tower of globules), but I've never seen it like that before (nor so big). It also seems like the wrong season for ruminant scat to look like that, but... I guess the general absence of winter means the vegetation is always kinda wet? Shrug.

I would ask on my community's FB page, but it seems kinda rude to post a picture of weird poo!

Do you have elk? (I think so if you're where I think think you are). Their scat is like deer scat but larger.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: namazu on February 15, 2021, 09:14:19 PM

You can at least rule out wombats.  Continent notwithstanding, they poop cubes rather than globules.  I suspect someone (possibly even you?) probably already linked to that article here.

Hehe, very true!

Quote from: Puget on February 16, 2021, 07:40:41 AM

Do you have elk? (I think so if you're where I think think you are). Their scat is like deer scat but larger.

Hmm, maybe. It looks kind of right for elk. I don't think I'm in their preferred habitat, but a chunk of the mainland is, so they could swim over. The occasional bear and cougar swim over, but while the scat's the right size for a bear, it doesn't look right. I don't think anyone's ever seen and elk over here (or a moose, for that matter), but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

So: the options seem to be either the biggest deer scat ever, or an elk led astray!
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Something new and of interest every day on this forum...

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Also, apparently it's reading week this week. I thought it was next week. Sigh.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

I just found this skating couple and I'm in awe...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOCuxsRnVTQ

Of course, sounds like they're retiring/retired now, but....wow.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

wareagle

Quote from: mamselle on February 17, 2021, 04:28:55 PM

M.

+1, just.......wow.  Incredible.  Thanks so much for sharing the link.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

Charlotte

M.

I've watched this four times and WOW. Thank you so much for posting this. It made my day so much better.

fishbrains

Your "mentee" came to the interview with holes in his clothes, and he left his air-buds in the entire time the committee talked to him. And we know he has money, because he told us who his father is quite a few times (it's weird how teenagers seem to think all adults like each other).

The other interviews went really well. Just sayin' that it ain't looking good.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

Parasaurolophus

Found out today about someone (local) who regularly teaches 20+ sections a semester across several institutions (most local, some online). (Bear in mind that this would be for real, decent pay; he's not stitching together $1500 gigs.)
I know it's a genus.

FishProf

Isn't it more likely that they are NOT teaching 20+ sections each semester?
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Langue_doc

I recall someone who was teaching around 10 or so courses a semester in several institutions talk about how to keep the grading manageable--give only multiple-choice tests and exams. I was teaching similar courses which were most definitely not multiple-choice type assessment courses. I'm not sure how the departments/institutions viewed the assessments.

FishProf

I have one online course I teach every semester.  NOT counting the new lectures and updates I do in between semesters to keep it fresh and updated, I spend a lot of time (4-5) just managing the course and dealing with student issues.  Even at 2 hours a week per class (which is very low) 20+ sections seems utterly unmanageable.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Harlow2

Quote from: wareagle on February 19, 2021, 12:08:53 PM

M.

+1, just.......wow.  Incredible.  Thanks so much for sharing the link.

What a lovely way to begin the morning!