Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

"Racist" professor found dead in home

Started by Wahoo Redux, July 24, 2020, 10:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: marshwiggle on July 27, 2020, 10:25:32 AM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on July 27, 2020, 10:05:22 AM

Perhaps I mis-posted or maybe didn't qualify enough.  Certainly racism is a matter of culture and upbringing as much as anything else. I was just thinking of James Fields ramming his car into protesters or Jeremy Joseph Christian stabbing people on a train.  The interviews I've seen with Richard Spencer and David Duke, both of whom would meet legal definitions of sanity, also struck me as indicative of mental illness.  Perhaps I am drawing the distinction too broadly and judging from superficial traits, but in all these cases I thought there was something very wrong with their demeanor that spoke to something more than, say, inculcation of racist beliefs from childhood or immersion in a racist culture (which I don't think is the case with Duke and certainly not with Spenser).  There was simply something badly skewed in their thoughts and motivations.   There is a distinct lack of logic and empathy in these sorts of people, grinding hate, and delusion about what they can actually accomplish (the white father-land pipe dream) that just speaks to a dislocation from reality, not to mention that they have endangered their own persons and made themselves public pariahs, which just screams mental dysfunction...or maybe I don't know what I am talking about.

How about the BLM leader saying that whites are sub-human? Does that count as mental illness as well?

Geeze.  Yeeeeeesss Marshy, both sides have irrational people.  My God, son.

Provided that the quote is true, she sounds like a very frustrated, radicalized, immature, not very smart person.  Is that "mental illness"?  Maybe.  Dunno.  We'll see what her other behaviors are.  She is not someone I would particularly follow or would associate with.  I might suggest that her history is different from Mike Adams, which may account for her radicalism (I can only imagine the kind of person you would be, Marshy, if you had come from a demographic with a history of similar oppression), but that is a cul de sac conservatives want to avoid.

And way to post a right-wing tabloid agitprop. The depth of your thought never ceases to amaze me, Marshy. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on July 27, 2020, 11:33:24 AM
Quote from: marshwiggle on July 27, 2020, 10:25:32 AM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on July 27, 2020, 10:05:22 AM

Perhaps I mis-posted or maybe didn't qualify enough.  Certainly racism is a matter of culture and upbringing as much as anything else. I was just thinking of James Fields ramming his car into protesters or Jeremy Joseph Christian stabbing people on a train.  The interviews I've seen with Richard Spencer and David Duke, both of whom would meet legal definitions of sanity, also struck me as indicative of mental illness.  Perhaps I am drawing the distinction too broadly and judging from superficial traits, but in all these cases I thought there was something very wrong with their demeanor that spoke to something more than, say, inculcation of racist beliefs from childhood or immersion in a racist culture (which I don't think is the case with Duke and certainly not with Spenser).  There was simply something badly skewed in their thoughts and motivations.   There is a distinct lack of logic and empathy in these sorts of people, grinding hate, and delusion about what they can actually accomplish (the white father-land pipe dream) that just speaks to a dislocation from reality, not to mention that they have endangered their own persons and made themselves public pariahs, which just screams mental dysfunction...or maybe I don't know what I am talking about.

How about the BLM leader saying that whites are sub-human? Does that count as mental illness as well?

Geeze.  Yeeeeeesss Marshy, both sides have irrational people.  My God, son.

Provided that the quote is true, she sounds like a very frustrated, radicalized, immature, not very smart person.  Is that "mental illness"?  Maybe.  Dunno.  We'll see what her other behaviors are.  She is not someone I would particularly follow or would associate with.  I might suggest that her history is different from Mike Adams, which may account for her radicalism (I can only imagine the kind of person you would be, Marshy, if you had come from a demographic with a history of similar oppression), but that is a cul de sac conservatives want to avoid.

And way to post a right-wing tabloid agitprop. The depth of your thought never ceases to amaze me, Marshy.

Hoiw about this one?
On Feb. 9, Yusra Khogali tweeted, "Plz Allah give me strength to not cuss/kill these men and white folks out here today. Plz plz plz."

Or is the CBC also a "right-wing tabloid agitprop"?
It takes so little to be above average.

Wahoo Redux

You really don't get things, do you Marshy?

mahagonny

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on July 27, 2020, 09:45:22 AM

What is interesting to me is that anybody cared.  What is the paradoxical position of the "professor" in society that we want to slowly starve the institution and at the same time single out this job title as somehow remarkable enough that a dick-bigot is worthy of a news story?  Would anybody have cared if this were, say, a supermarket manager or janitor or auto-mechanic or what-have-you?

Easy to see what the story is here. I would have expected academics wish the story would go away because they think it makes tenure look bad whether because (1) he wasn't a very nice guy, or, (2) he sued successfully against their denying him a promotion and he won the case and the promotion and it cost them almost a million. So either way it's a black eye for tenure. You can see more evidence of this, the pearl-clutching on the 'asides' thread.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: mahagonny on July 27, 2020, 09:50:43 AM

OK, but...you still haven't shown one quotation. The way you describe him, it should be as easy as picking dandelions.
And it's so easy to offend people nowadays that, yes, it becomes a game. And there are some who deserve it to be.

and in other words, evidently you agree that you can throw in racism because you think someone's obnoxious company.

I thought I answered this.  I guess it was removed?  Or maybe I forgot to "post."

Anyway, this did a pretty good job of isolating exactly what you are asking, even if you don't appreciate the doxxing aspect of the site.

https://ratemyracistprofessor.com/professors/anti-immigrant/mike-adams/

Say what you will, Adams rhetoric is just hate-filled.  I spent a little time today reading his "Muck Rack" links: hatred, attack journalism (sometimes very personally), and lop-sided stoking the cultural wars.  He represents no reasonable position.  He struck the poise that many of these self-righteous hatemongers do and portrayed himself as a victim even as he strove to victimize other people.  His school hated him----he excreted where he consumed; they tried to get rid of him and he won, but every day he had to go to a place where people hated him.  He started a fight and in the end it took him down.

What possible good comes from acting the way this guy did?

mahagonny

I agree, he was piece of work. Nevertheless, I stick to this: insulting Blacks Live Matter is not the same as insulting Black people in general. Black Lives Matter is an organization with a website, a statement of 'what we believe' (some of it downright stupid, as I've already posted), as least one nutty immature person among the founders, as you acknowledged upthread, and most definitely an agenda. I would bet my last dollar he liked Coleman Hughes and Candace Owens or at least some of those Black conservatives.

Calling your organization "Black Lives Matter" and insisting that anyone who doesn't support their agenda believes that black lives don't matter is like saying "Support The Troops" has to mean you're voting for George W. Bush and his regime changing for a second term or else you're not patriotic. These are bullshit emotional blackmail ploys.

Therefore, I don't see racism. Every time somebody points a finger and says 'racist' Black Lives Matter is getting their flame fanned. This would bother some critical thinkers.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: mahagonny on July 27, 2020, 06:23:28 PM
I agree, he was piece of work. Nevertheless, I stick to this: insulting Blacks Live Matter is not the same as insulting Black people in general.

[...]

Therefore, I don't see racism. Every time somebody points a finger and says 'racist' Black Lives Matter is getting their flame fanned. This would bother some critical thinkers.

Did you read the things he wrote?  Plenty of people take issue with BLM, some more legitimately than others.  And, while there are issues with BLM as there are with all things human, there is the notion that racism has morphed into something that hides behind the guise of rational criticism but is simply racially motivated resentment.  It's a long way from Jim Crow but insidious in its own way.

But you are being disingenuous if you claim he "just pointed the finger at Black Lives Matter." 

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on July 27, 2020, 07:47:50 PM
And, while there are issues with BLM as there are with all things human, there is the notion that racism has morphed into something that hides behind the guise of rational criticism but is simply racially motivated resentment.  It's a long way from Jim Crow but insidious in its own way.

Pretty Orwellian to talk about the "guise" of rational criticism. Either an argument makes logical sense or it doesn't. If it does, it's true no matter what the reasons are for someone making it and it deserves to be taken seriously.
It takes so little to be above average.

Wahoo Redux

mahagonny

QuoteDid you read the things he wrote?  Plenty of people take issue with BLM, some more legitimately than others.  And, while there are issues with BLM as there are with all things human, there is the notion that racism has morphed into something that hides behind the guise of rational criticism but is simply racially motivated resentment.

Didn't go so well for this woman.  https://www.vnews.com/Windsor-High-School-Story-34741525

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: mahagonny on July 27, 2020, 08:24:00 PM
QuoteDid you read the things he wrote?  Plenty of people take issue with BLM, some more legitimately than others.  And, while there are issues with BLM as there are with all things human, there is the notion that racism has morphed into something that hides behind the guise of rational criticism but is simply racially motivated resentment.

Didn't go so well for this woman.  https://www.vnews.com/Windsor-High-School-Story-34741525

Yeah, it's scary when one can lose one's livelihood over comments spoken or posted off the job.  I totally think this principal should be reinstated with back-pay and pain-and-suffering.  We need laws to protect people from this sort of harassment and intimidation.   What sort of democracy are we where people are afraid to speak their minds?

It is very frightening when institutions, particularly government institutions, have control over what we say and do.

But I don't know what you think you've proved by posting this.

Are you, my friend, dividing the world as if you are cheering for a football team?  Are you trying to illustrate how some people who support BLM can be overly zealous?  Well, duh. 

This story does nothing to invalidate what BLM is trying to do.  That post does nothing to alter the racism hiding behind political posturing.  If anything, this incident demonstrates the insensitivity of one individual (BLM does not say anyone's else's life is unimportant or any less important---Principal Tiffany was stupid on that account) and the zealotry of frustrated people (it appears the members of the community made the typically hysterical association between critique, no matter how ill-informed, and overt racism).  It's all very frustrating.

Mahagonny my brother, you've just enacted the other major issue facing Western culture right now: the insistence on martyrdom as an attempt to invalidate people who you disagree with.

mahagonny

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on July 28, 2020, 04:56:16 PM

Yeah, it's scary when one can lose one's livelihood over comments spoken or posted off the job.  I totally think this principal should be reinstated with back-pay and pain-and-suffering.  We need laws to protect people from this sort of harassment and intimidation.   What sort of democracy are we where people are afraid to speak their minds?

It is very frightening when institutions, particularly government institutions, have control over what we say and do.

Are you, my friend, dividing the world as if you are cheering for a football team?  Are you trying to illustrate how some people who support BLM can be overly zealous?  Well, duh. 

This story does nothing to invalidate what BLM is trying to do.
That post does nothing to alter the racism hiding behind political posturing.  If anything, this incident demonstrates the insensitivity of one individual (BLM does not say anyone's else's life is unimportant or any less important---Principal Tiffany was stupid on that account) and the zealotry of frustrated people (it appears the members of the community made the typically hysterical association between critique, no matter how ill-informed, and overt racism).  It's all very frustrating.

Mahagonny my brother, you've just enacted the other major issue facing Western culture right now: the insistence on martyrdom as an attempt to invalidate people who you disagree with.

It's an example of what they are trying to do. They want to see people like Tiffany fired. They want to infiltrate college curricula and change our teaching. It's astonishing to me how college professors who pride themselves on healthy skepticism about initiatives that come from above or outside, get their hackles up over even the possibility of academic freedom infringement, seem to be so trusting of this mob. And, they claim to take pride in the dissolution of the nuclear family, which has obviously been the biggest setback for urban blacks since around 1960. I can't think of a single reason to support them other than peer pressure.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: mahagonny on July 28, 2020, 05:48:30 PM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on July 28, 2020, 04:56:16 PM

This story does nothing to invalidate what BLM is trying to do.
That post does nothing to alter the racism hiding behind political posturing.  If anything, this incident demonstrates the insensitivity of one individual (BLM does not say anyone's else's life is unimportant or any less important---Principal Tiffany was stupid on that account) and the zealotry of frustrated people (it appears the members of the community made the typically hysterical association between critique, no matter how ill-informed, and overt racism).  It's all very frustrating.

It's an example of what they are trying to do. They want to see people like Tiffany fired. They want to infiltrate college curricula and change our teaching. It's astonishing to me how college professors who pride themselves on healthy skepticism about initiatives that come from above or outside, get their hackles up over even the possibility of academic freedom infringement, seem to be so trusting of this mob. And, they claim to take pride in the dissolution of the nuclear family, which has obviously been the biggest setback for urban blacks since around 1960. I can't think of a single reason to support them other than peer pressure.

"They"?

"this mob"?

"take pride in the dissolution of the nuclear family"!?

BLM has no redeeming qualities but instead want to dissolve the family!?

Uh, no.

There really is no reason to discuss here.

Wahoo Redux

And BTW, is your reaction any less sectarian and hysterical than the people who had Principal Riley fired?

mahagonny

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on July 28, 2020, 07:23:52 PM
And BTW, is your reaction any less sectarian and hysterical than the people who had Principal Riley fired?

It's taken from their website: 'what we believe.'