News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larimar

I've just learned a wonderful new word: the shifting gold-green color of many cats' eyes is called aeneous.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

smallcleanrat

A few updates on the Maestro:

1) Since "no!" and "ow" didn't seem to deter the nipping, the other day I tried my best imitation of a cat's hiss (no bopping or any other consequence, just a hiss). He instantly backed away looking at me with an expression of shock. Then he decided maybe it would be more fun to wrestle with his teddy bear instead. I really hope this works long-term.

I don't actually mind the nipping so much; it doesn't hurt too badly and it's mostly in play. But cat owners in my life are saying it's important to discourage the habit of biting people, because they can do some real damage when their adult teeth come in and their bite becomes more forceful.

2) This week I gave Maestro his first piano lesson. I say, "Maestro, piano!" and he presses the keys. He didn't always get a sound out of them, but at this stage I am rewarding him as long as he touches the keyboard. He looks so natural at the piano; must be the tuxedo.

3) He has now learned to get all his evening zoomies out by dashing around the floor, playing with his toys. Now when he comes to bed he is ready to snuggle in for sleep. Sometimes he even lets me wrap my arms around him as if he's a stuffed animal. Some nights he snuggles in even closer to my side, using my shoulder as a pillow for his head. I fall asleep to the sound of his tiny kitty snores.

He still gets nippy when he first wakes in the morning, but usually takes the hint when booted from the bed.

4) His new favorite toy is a plush fish only slightly smaller than he is. It's the perfect size and shape for him to wrap his front legs around and bunny-kick with the back. Sometimes we see him prancing around with the fish in his mouth, occasionally tripping over it because it is such a large toy. It's adorable.

mamselle

Glad you thought of the hiss, and that it worked!!

I also love the image of him toting the fish around and playing with it...and of you both cuddling up for bed. You're both lucky.

One of my students has two kitties, brothers, and my student's keyboard is right under the windowsill where one of them likes to bird-watch.

As we started the lesson, the dozing kitty awoke, sat upright, and leaped down--landing on some keys with a loud 'smush' of sound and looking so startled that he bolted from the room.

It took us both a minute to stop laughing so we could re-start the lesson...

M.

P.S., the Zez Confrey rag "Kitten on the Keys" is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBxRRUj1bcA

Have fun!

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Larimar

What a great Maestro update, smallcleanrat. Glad things are going well for you two.

Mamselle, your student's "kitten on the keys" story is really funny. Thanks.

Quote from: Larimar on July 02, 2020, 08:48:39 AM
I've just learned a wonderful new word: the shifting gold-green color of many cats' eyes is called aeneous.

Just to be exact, "aeneous" is an adjective, not a noun.

Larimar

OneMoreYear

Quote from: smallcleanrat on July 02, 2020, 09:37:30 AM
A few updates on the Maestro:

<snip>

Wonderful updates on Maestro, smallcleanrat.  He sounds like a wonderful kitten!  So glad he is learning the ways of ruling his people without bitting.  He sounds very talented with the piano already.  I love snuggly kitties. Neither of mine snuggle at night, so I"m a little jealous.  Prancing kitten! Ours prance with milk rings. 

Puget

Quote from: Larimar on July 02, 2020, 01:22:37 PM

What a great Maestro update, smallcleanrat. Glad things are going well for you two.

Yes, sounds like you two are doing great together! Cats often get snugglier as they grow out of some of their crazy kitten energy.

And hissing is often effective-- you are speaking cat with him! That's just what they do with each other when play gets too rough-- in my household when  panther boy forgets he's way bigger than little calico now, and she has to remind him to play nice.

Panther boy has taken to going into the yard on a leash (little calico has gone a few times, but generally declines to participate), and has become very vocal about it when he thinks it's time to go out (he seems to be part Siamese, so that's very vocal indeed!)-- I need to convince him that time to go out is after work, when I'm ready, and not any time I happen to get near the back door (luckily the back door opens into an enclosed porch with its own door, so there is a kitty airlock between him and the great outdoors. And he is NOT AMUSED if he can see me in the yard and I didn't take him with me.
He is pretty cute though-- he'll lay down to get his harness on, then rush through the door and make a beeline for the grass.

"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

OneMoreYear

Quote from: Puget on July 02, 2020, 01:39:35 PM
Panther boy has taken to going into the yard on a leash (little calico has gone a few times, but generally declines to participate), and has become very vocal about it when he thinks it's time to go out (he seems to be part Siamese, so that's very vocal indeed!)-- I need to convince him that time to go out is after work, when I'm ready, and not any time I happen to get near the back door (luckily the back door opens into an enclosed porch with its own door, so there is a kitty airlock between him and the great outdoors. And he is NOT AMUSED if he can see me in the yard and I didn't take him with me.
He is pretty cute though-- he'll lay down to get his harness on, then rush through the door and make a beeline for the grass.

Ninja loooooves to go outside with my SO. She prances through the grass, then appears to spend most of her time hanging out in the shade by the fence. If he is out there without her, she will sit by the backdoor and wail. She will not be distracted from her pleas to go out. And she is persistent!  If I'm working inside and am doing something that requires good attention (so no music/TV in background), I've actually had to take off my hearing tech (I am then almost completely deaf) to ignore her.  Occasionally, she will then come find me and yowl directly at me to make her point; she does not appear realize that if I've taken my tech off, I see her mouth open, but I don't hear anything.   
We didn't manage to harness train her b/c as a kitten she got her jaw stuck in her collar (scary for us and her; we must have had it on a little too loose).  After that, if we attempted to put a collar or anything similar on her, she had a panic attack.
But it is wonderful that Panther Boy has learned the steps to go outside (1st harness, then yard).

evil_physics_witchcraft

Elder Evil cat has started dragging a blanket up the stairs. I wonder what he wants to do with it?

mamselle

Sure it's a he?

Sounds like nesting behaviour...

M.

Puget

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 07, 2020, 09:06:54 AM
Elder Evil cat has started dragging a blanket up the stairs. I wonder what he wants to do with it?

I've been finding two throw pillows under the couch many mornings. These are not throw pillows FROM the couch mind you-- they are from a chair across the living room, and one of them is quite large. I imagine them proudly dragging them across the floor like a lion with a gazelle.  I'm a bit  tempted to get a wildlife cam to see what they get up to at night.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

OneMoreYear

He's dragging the blanket upstairs because the blanket belongs upstairs. Obviously.

the_geneticist

Secret cat business obviously! 
Maybe he's putting it back?  sleeping on it?  hunting it as a mighty foe?

evil_physics_witchcraft

Elder Evil cat has always been vocal. I neglected to mention that when he drags the blanket upstairs, he is also howling/yowling and sometimes stops to knead it with front and back feet. He also carries around a stuffed crab (in his mouth) that belonged to deceased Evil dog. And yes, he is quite vocal about it.

mamselle

Nesting.

He's a she.

Kittens coming soon...

(just kidding...)

M.