News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Dunno.

I've been in bed all day, editing, writing, and doing research. I put two hot thermoses of tea and three sandwiches beside the bed, and a buncha cookies.

I might get up and look out the window in a bit.

But for the last two weeks they've been predicting all kinds of dire stuff and the only thing that happened up to yesterday (when I was last out) was a bit of drizzle on the pavement the night before.

So I am meteo-sceptic at the moment.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

We've had constant wind, rain, sleet, and hail since Saturday. I've been going to work as usual, but Absolutive has the week off, and he's been spending the day in pyjamas with cups of coffee, watching the weather out the window. I am firmly reminding myself that I love him and am happy for him.

apl68

Snow having apparently become a thing of the past in our region (The snow line has moved just a few tens of miles north and west of us), our winter weather is now characterized by chilly highs in the 40s and lots of cold rain.  And spikes into the 60s and 70s every week or two, all winter long.  Less than a decade ago those temperatures were unheard of here during the winter months.  Now they seem to be the new normal.  It's eerie walking along in your shirtsleeves in the middle of January or February....

Seriously, a few days ago it spiked to 70 degrees.  Now it's in the 40s and raining.  The yo-yoing temperatures are hard to take.  Forty-something weather isn't THAT cold for winter, even here, but when you were in 70-degree temperatures only a couple of days earlier it's a shock to the system.  I've had trouble warming up even indoors since yesterday.

Essentially winter here has been replaced by three straight months of early March weather.  Four if you count March itself.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

magnemite

Fog, with low clouds above the fog.
may you ride eternal, shiny and chrome

ab_grp

The snow came and actually covered the ground, so I got some pictures as evidence in case it never happens again.  Now it's gone, except for areas out toward the mountains where they got a little more precipitation.  I realized last night how much I miss the idea of a snow day, staying up a little later, staying in and making stew or some such.  Even back east, where we have had snows of 2 or 3 feet at times and regularly had 6 or more inches, things had gotten to the point at which there really wasn't such a thing anymore (except in the extreme cases).  They have gotten very good at prepping and clearing the roads out there, and of course we all have laptops and are expected to work at home.  It's quite different here! But, we took time to sit out back and enjoy the snow while it was around. 

We also have the roller coaster temperatures at times.  I'm still not used to the temperatures.  Being in the 30s feels absolutely freezing (whereas I was used to it before), now being in the 80s can also feel very cold.  I go between shivering in a down jacket and feeling warm in a light sweatshirt some days.  Except in the hottest times of the year, it's mostly a question of whether to put on socks with my sandals when I'm not out in public.   It is strange to get more snow than the folks in my home region.  Hard to know what to expect.

mamselle

I remain very grateful for the cool, dry chill without anything falling from the sky.

It's much easier to use crutches when you don't have to concentrate on anything but the sidewalk...

;--》

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

We've had days (for about 2 weeks) of pouring rain, frigid nights, tornado warnings, rapid temperature changes.... excessive humidity.

It's Georgia.

hmaria1609

A break from the rain! It's supposed to be cold tomorrow and Saturday. 
No snow since the light dusting in mid-December!  It's happened before but I still would to like to see snow before winter is over.

Catherder

-13F   -22F with the wind chill.  Will my car start?

backatit

I don't wanna say cause everyone always hates me. But I'll hate all of you in the summer when it's 70 where you are, and stinking hot here...

Parasaurolophus

A rainy past few days, and sunny today. Looks like "winter" is probably over for us here. We had especially little of it this year, not that this region gets much of a winter anyway.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Thinking of those threatened by the storm coming through the Carolinas right now.

Stay safe.

M.

hmaria1609

Before I left the library for the day earlier this evening, there was an all staff e-mail that a Cold Alert was being activated for the city. Dangerously low temps overnight.

apl68

Sun!  The sun is shining!  It's so wonderful to see!  A crisp, clear, chilly winter day of the sort we've seen very, very little of so far this year.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

ab_grp

We had a very chilly, windy afternoon and evening yesterday.  Today is overcast, but at least the wind has died down.  Gloomy.