News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Posting While Plastered, revival

Started by dismalist, April 27, 2020, 01:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dismalist

QuoteThe three mile limit was once known as the "cannon shot rule". Before modern laws of the sea were drafted up in the 20th century, it was generally agreed that a nation's sovereignty extended only as far as it could demonstrate (hypothetical) military control. About 3 miles.

There's a reason why cruise lines like Norwegian will throw in unlimited booze for almost nothing. It's basically cheaper than water when you're out in international waters. And probably safer, in most quantities.

I've been trying to watch my intake, but self-quarantining with small children has prompted some imbibing. (My littlest one, who can barely write, filled out a prescription for my spouse, ordering 5 glasses of water a day, and no wine for a week. She seemed saddened but not surprised to see a bottle on the dinner table.)

As a compromise, I've been drinking Bloody Mary's. For the vitamins. And because we have a local pickle guy who makes delicious mix, and will do curbside pickup.

Ah, Dottore, our littlest one, now 30 anni, got her early years in Italy. There was always a bottle of wine on the table at dinner. Anything else would have been ... maleducato! :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

dr_codex

My wife is Italian-American. The little one had wine before any solids, and knows exactly what buttons she's pushing.

"Medicinal red wine" is customarily prescribed during cold and flu season, in this house.
back to the books.

dismalist

Well, Covid-19 is flu-like, no, so that the medicinal properties of red wine are needed equally urgently! :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

alto_stratus

I can't believe there hasn't been a post here since May.

Today, I saw and purchased my first pack of Oktoberfest for the season. Can't wait to taste it's gloriousness. Just had to unearth this topic from the depths first.

ab_grp

Thanks for bringing it back! Spouse went down this morning to pick up another stockpile of cases of wine and some beer (Shock Top, Blue Moon, and Coors).  They were out of Kilt Lifter, apparently.

mamselle

Never heard of that last one before, but I recognize the reference!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

alto_stratus

It sounds good, but have never seen it here.

fast_and_bulbous

Quote from: alto_stratus on August 22, 2020, 10:22:16 AM
I can't believe there hasn't been a post here since May.

Today, I saw and purchased my first pack of Oktoberfest for the season. Can't wait to taste it's gloriousness. Just had to unearth this topic from the depths first.

Same. For me it was a case of Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest. Oktoberfest is one of my favorite styles. Made a few back in my homebrewing days.
I wake up every morning with a healthy dose of analog delay

alto_stratus

Good day for Shipyard Summer, me hearties.

Morris Zapp

I've taken to drinking wine before I "zoom" with my students, and before I participate in departmental "zoom" presentations for our students.  SUrely I 'm not the only one?

alto_stratus

I never know what to drink in November.  Too late for Oktoberfest, too early for a winter ale.

Plain ol' ale was sold out, so I settled on Pilsner and Pale Ale.  Maybe November should be a wine month.

alto_stratus

Instacart dropped off my supplies.  Wegmans, I <3 u.  Joel Gott cab is perfect for tonight.  Sophisticated and earthy.

OneMoreYear

I am drinking an Oakspire Bourbon Barrell Ale, while streaming old episodes of the Great British Baking Show (I don't bake, but I'm addicted) and grading an assignment that should have been cake, but is apparently not.

Quote from: alto_stratus on November 07, 2020, 01:43:29 PM
I never know what to drink in November.  Too late for Oktoberfest, too early for a winter ale.

Plain ol' ale was sold out, so I settled on Pilsner and Pale Ale.  Maybe November should be a wine month.

I really like Oktoberfest, so I'd drink it all year round, but wine is also a good thought.

dismalist

Quote from: Morris Zapp on October 14, 2020, 03:32:32 PM
I've taken to drinking wine before I "zoom" with my students, and before I participate in departmental "zoom" presentations for our students.  SUrely I 'm not the only one?

Difficult.

Once upon a time in a country that produces wine, far, far away, I had one small [by American standards] glass of wine at lunch. Teaching was at 14:00. I knew I had to control myself, telling myself to think before I shot off my mouth in answer to a question.

Well, someone asked a question ca. 15 minutes into the lecture. No worries. I waited, and thought, controlling myself and answered: I don't care!

Since then, many years ago, I never touched a drop of alcohol before teaching. :-)

Of course, with administrators, it could be different ... .

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

AvidReader

Quote from: dismalist on November 21, 2020, 07:03:40 PM
Once upon a time in a country that produces wine, far, far away, I had one small [by American standards] glass of wine at lunch. Teaching was at 14:00. I knew I had to control myself, telling myself to think before I shot off my mouth in answer to a question.

Well, someone asked a question ca. 15 minutes into the lecture. No worries. I waited, and thought, controlling myself and answered: I don't care!

[. . .]

Of course, with administrators, it could be different ... .

Of course, with administrators, this could be essential . . .

AR.