News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fauna and other natural things

Started by Thursday's_Child, August 29, 2019, 07:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

We still have them out near my parents' house.  I can walk down the road there in the summer and it looks like all the stars have come down to our level.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: mamselle on March 25, 2020, 07:43:33 AM

We don't seem to get fireflies here; I remember whole fields of them, growing up...

M.

Yeah, we don't seem to have them here on the west coast, either. Growing up back east, though, there were loads. I miss them.

For my part: loads of hawks and bald eagles these days. Will go check out the seals this evening.
I know it's a genus.

Catherder

We have them here in Ontario, but yes, there were lots more on the East Coast.  I have fond memories of my cat leaping up trying to catch them there.

ab_grp

I miss fireflies, too.  I grew up in the mid-Atlantic US, and there were so many at times lighting up the backyard.  None here, unfortunately.  It was weird to get used to.

Parasaurolophus

Our seals were complemented by a single passing sea lion just as we left.
I know it's a genus.

FishProf

Found one of the Thundercats in my office chair low-growling out the window where she is usually chirp-watching the bird feeder.    Under the feeder, a fox basking in the sun.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

ab_grp

We haven't seen our foxes around recently.  There was a cat on the patio last night, though.  And a bunny or two has come back to the yard.

Catherder

The last fox I saw crossed the ice on the lake two days ago. Before he made it all the way east the ice sheet he was on  tipped and he scrambled for land.

Haven't seen one since, and yes, the rabbits are back here too.

Morden

Bobcat snoozing in the back yard; hares in the front.

nebo113

mamselle

Do they know about each other, I wonder?

Or perhaps they're practicing social distancing....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

QuoteDo they know about each other, I wonder?

Or perhaps they're practicing social distancing....

M.

Perhaps they are segregationists!  (rabbits can be such racists!) 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

nebo113

To be nearer my 91 year old mother, I am staying on a coastal island where idiot tourists and stupid residents feed the deer.  Two of them stood expectantly off the back porch this morning, as my dog barked madly, assuming food was coming.  Bipeds ....grrrrr.....

apl68

On an old house place
Jonquils still bloom long after
The planters are gone
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

nebo113

Quote from: apl68 on March 30, 2020, 07:54:29 AM
On an old house place
Jonquils still bloom long after
The planters are gone