Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Dinner--or Dessert--Tonight

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Main course = Mac & Cheese with peas + a green salad

Beverage = a Coke

Dessert = some kind of bastardization of a clafoutis, but with apples, so a flaugnarde?

mamselle

I just now finished the last of it!

I didn't have any cumin, but the rest of the spices worked well together; there was none left!

I also just used a bit of water, since milk and its much-missed creamy friends don't agree with me now, and I didn't have any coconut milk.

I braised the chicken pieces (that had already been baked a couple days ago) in the spices so it was still tender, and the second day, of course, the spices had blended even better in the fridge overnight.

Very satisfied--in fact, I passed it along to a friend the next day!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Yesterday evening, a green salad with some leftover smoked chicken salad added.  They went pretty well together.

This evening?  Not sure, but it won't be fancy.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Parasaurolophus

My second attempt at salmon berry fruit leather was a success.

It's delectable. All the unblended/partially blended seeds give it a nice crunch, too.
I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 16, 2020, 09:10:49 AM
My second attempt at salmon berry fruit leather was a success.

It's delectable. All the unblended/partially blended seeds give it a nice crunch, too.

Sounds good! Wish I could try it.

Parasaurolophus

It did look a little like a congealed murder scene...

Today I found a few fruiting huckleberry shrubs! I'll try to gather enough for leather.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Quote from: mamselle on June 15, 2020, 08:21:05 PM

I didn't have any cumin, but the rest of the spices worked well together; there was none left!

I also just used a bit of water, since milk and its much-missed creamy friends don't agree with me now, and I didn't have any coconut milk.

I braised the chicken pieces (that had already been baked a couple days ago) in the spices so it was still tender, and the second day, of course, the spices had blended even better in the fridge overnight.

M.

I'm glad you liked it, and I hope your friend does as well.  We finished ours last night, too! And it's always good to find substitutes that work. 

If the weather is finally calm enough, we will have grilled steak with air fried brussels sprouts and some sort of roasted potato.  Grilling has been off the table due to strong winds, lightning, fire season, etc.  Maybe we'll get lucky tonight.  Otherwise, my guess is that dinner will be the jalapeno tilapia pasta.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 16, 2020, 03:47:48 PM

Today I found a few fruiting huckleberry shrubs! I'll try to gather enough for leather.
Wild plants? We grew some in the garden years ago, but most people weren't interested in them. Have any recipes?

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 16, 2020, 05:14:33 PM

Wild plants? We grew some in the garden years ago, but most people weren't interested in them. Have any recipes?

Yeahyeah, wild and in the woods! I've seen them tons of times on hikes, but having never seen a huckleberry bush before, didn't recognize them. I wondered about the shrubs, though, because the leaves looked like they might be edible and tasty. Then today I saw them with the fruit, and everything fell into place.

I've not investigated any interesting recipes, I'm afraid. So far I'm just excited to make my own fruit leather (mash 'em up, add 1/8 cup water per cup of fruit, add sugar and lemon/apple cider vinegar to taste, boil 'em until it's thick and soupy, then smear it on some parchment paper and set the oven as low as it will go for a few hours or so).

The bark and leaves apparently make a tasty tea. I can confirm that the leaves aren't a bad chomp, either.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Speaking of tea, anyone find any sassafrass?

As a camp counselor in the midwest, many many years ago, it was fun to find, and either chomp on the leaves' stems, or dig out the roots, and clean and boil them for sassafrass tea.

Wild food....ummm....

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mamselle

Quote from: ab_grp on June 16, 2020, 04:23:08 PM
Quote from: mamselle on June 15, 2020, 08:21:05 PM

M.

I'm glad you liked it, and I hope your friend does as well.  We finished ours last night, too! And it's always good to find substitutes that work. 

If the weather is finally calm enough, we will have grilled steak with air fried brussels sprouts and some sort of roasted potato.  Grilling has been off the table due to strong winds, lightning, fire season, etc.  Maybe we'll get lucky tonight.  Otherwise, my guess is that dinner will be the jalapeno tilapia pasta.

Sorry for the double...but...I just received a text back, "Best Curry Ever!" (in the generic sense).

Proof of the pudding...thanks!

M.

ab_grp

Awesome, Mamselle!

We ended up doing grilled steaks with a roasted mix of sweet potatoes and mini potatoes.  Instead of brussels sprouts, we roasted some asparagus and cherry tomatoes.  We haven't had that combination in a while.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Dang, curry sounds good right now.

Puget

I made a strawberry rhubarb pie with ingredients from the first CSA week. The first half was shared with friends spaced out in the yard. The second half I'm doling out to myself though the week. It makes me very happy.

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 16, 2020, 07:45:08 PM

Yeahyeah, wild and in the woods! I've seen them tons of times on hikes, but having never seen a huckleberry bush before, didn't recognize them. I wondered about the shrubs, though, because the leaves looked like they might be edible and tasty. Then today I saw them with the fruit, and everything fell into place.

I've not investigated any interesting recipes, I'm afraid. So far I'm just excited to make my own fruit leather (mash 'em up, add 1/8 cup water per cup of fruit, add sugar and lemon/apple cider vinegar to taste, boil 'em until it's thick and soupy, then smear it on some parchment paper and set the oven as low as it will go for a few hours or so).

The bark and leaves apparently make a tasty tea. I can confirm that the leaves aren't a bad chomp, either.

Glad you discovered the huckleberries and found a way to make the salmon berries tasty. I think of salmon berries as the participation prize winner of the PNW berry-off competition-- they look pretty but are sort of flavorless and seedy. My personal ranking:
1. huckleberries
2. blackberries
3. wild strawberries (A+ for flavor, F for berry:effort ratio)
4. tie between thimble berries and salal berries
Also participated: salman berries
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Puget on June 17, 2020, 03:45:47 PM

I made a strawberry rhubarb pie with ingredients from the first CSA week. The first half was shared with friends spaced out in the yard. The second half I'm doling out to myself though the week. It makes me very happy.

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 16, 2020, 07:45:08 PM

Glad you discovered the huckleberries and found a way to make the salmon berries tasty. I think of salmon berries as the participation prize winner of the PNW berry-off competition-- they look pretty but are sort of flavorless and seedy. My personal ranking:
1. huckleberries
2. blackberries
3. wild strawberries (A+ for flavor, F for berry:effort ratio)
4. tie between thimble berries and salal berries
Also participated: salman berries

You know, I have never had rhubarb...

I would put blueberries up there.