News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Dinner--or Dessert--Tonight

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

For lunch, chicken or tuna on rye bread.

For supper, probably a green salad on corn tortillas spread with hummus. 
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

ab_grp

We have been relying on old favorites lately.  Some BLTs and elote, jalapeno tilapia pasta, steak and chicken fajitas.  The weather finally calmed down enough one night to grill more steaks.  I think we are having leftover steak, brussels sprouts with the balsamic sauce, and some roasted sweet and mini potatoes.  Spouse had to go in to work, so whatever is easiest works.  I will probably go try to get the potatoes done early and maybe make some pizza dough for tomorrow.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Past few dinners:

Main courses = pizza (with salami!), tvp & black bean burritos, beef curry (delicious with a freezer marinade of fresh ginger, garlic and serrano + spices), hot dogs & salad

Beverages = Coke, water, ginger & mint iced tea

Desserts = trail mix, apple & raspberry crumble, apple brown betty

ab_grp

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 28, 2020, 07:22:48 PM
Main courses = pizza (with salami!), tvp & black bean burritos, beef curry (delicious with a freezer marinade of fresh ginger, garlic and serrano + spices), hot dogs & salad

I don't think I've heard of salami on pizza! Does it work out pretty much like pepperoni? That reminds me that I have some pepperoni in the fridge.  What does tvp stand for? Anything burrito sounds good, and the beef curry sounds really fresh and yummy.  Hot dogs are always a yes.  Do you have a favorite brand/type?

We made pizza on Friday, had the Korean bbq chicken thighs and potato salad on the 4th, had leftover pizza last night, and are doing BLTs and elote tonight.  The bacon just finished cooking, and I can smell it from across the house and through my office door.  Drool.

Economizer

Two Taco Bell Beef Tacos
1/3 can heated refried beans topped with chopped tomato and onions and mild taco sauce

Beverage - Free Taco Bell Senior Diet Pepsi

Dessert - a pack of Lance cream cheese and chive crackers!
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: ab_grp on July 06, 2020, 04:11:06 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 28, 2020, 07:22:48 PM

I don't think I've heard of salami on pizza! Does it work out pretty much like pepperoni? That reminds me that I have some pepperoni in the fridge.  What does tvp stand for? Anything burrito sounds good, and the beef curry sounds really fresh and yummy.  Hot dogs are always a yes.  Do you have a favorite brand/type?

We made pizza on Friday, had the Korean bbq chicken thighs and potato salad on the 4th, had leftover pizza last night, and are doing BLTs and elote tonight.  The bacon just finished cooking, and I can smell it from across the house and through my office door.  Drool.

Honestly, I couldn't really taste the salami, not sure what that means. I will say that the pizza we had after it with bacon, jalapeno and pineapple was much better!

tvp = textured vegetable protein (basically faux meat crumbles/mince)

The beef curry was so good. I divided up a large roast (don't remember the cut) and froze it with freshly ground chilies, ginger, garlic, canned coconut milk, powdered turmeric and powdered cumin. I used a similar marinade with chicken and it was great! I may add some lime juice and see if I can find some tamarind.

We try to buy the 'uncured' hotdogs, for what it's worth. Turkey is fine with me, but the SO is into beef. He's not that into 'spicy', etc. I've been trying to uplift his palate slowly with other flavor combos and he really likes the marinades.

We made no churn ice cream and I swear the texture and consistency is perfect. The flavor is not bad.

Korean bbq. YUM. Elote. YUM. We just ate and now I'm getting hungry again...

Stockmann

Egg-fried rice with garlic shrimp, chilli and vegetable mix. The rice itself was a mix of white rice and leftover curry rice.

mamselle

With your moniker I'd have expected a buillion des legumes or a potage...

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 06, 2020, 07:27:22 PM
Honestly, I couldn't really taste the salami, not sure what that means. I will say that the pizza we had after it with bacon, jalapeno and pineapple was much better!

tvp = textured vegetable protein (basically faux meat crumbles/mince)

The beef curry was so good. I divided up a large roast (don't remember the cut) and froze it with freshly ground chilies, ginger, garlic, canned coconut milk, powdered turmeric and powdered cumin. I used a similar marinade with chicken and it was great! I may add some lime juice and see if I can find some tamarind.

We try to buy the 'uncured' hotdogs, for what it's worth. Turkey is fine with me, but the SO is into beef. He's not that into 'spicy', etc. I've been trying to uplift his palate slowly with other flavor combos and he really likes the marinades.

We made no churn ice cream and I swear the texture and consistency is perfect. The flavor is not bad.

Korean bbq. YUM. Elote. YUM. We just ate and now I'm getting hungry again...

The jalapeno etc. pizza sounds outstanding.  I'm not sure spouse would go for the pineapple part, though I would probably be happy to have the sweetness.  He eats a lot of fresh jalapenos.  I have my limits.

Thanks for the translation of tvp! We have tried some of that when vegetarian daughter and/or vegan daughter have been with us.  Some of it is quite good.

Wow, the curry sounds great.  It's nice when a sauce or marinade is so versatile, too.  We have some frozen roasts.  Might give it a try at some point...

I looked up the hot dogs we usually go for.  The ones we have really liked are Nathan's natural casing beef frankfurters (recommended by a friend/hot dog aficionado).  We can't usually find, those, however, so we get Hebrew Nationals beef hot dogs.  We have also tried uncured and like those, too.  Maybe Boar's Head?

Not sure I have made no-churn ice cream! I'll have to look that up.  Have you ever made avocado ice cream? It may sound weird, but it so creamy and delicious.  We bought youngest an ice cream maker for her birthday one year upon request (electric), but it is such a production that it hasn't been used often.  She doesn't particularly like to keep an eye on the proceedings, and I don't eat ice cream very often and don't feel like babysitting her ice cream, so we came to an impasse.

Quote from: Stockmann on July 06, 2020, 07:42:47 PM
Egg-fried rice with garlic shrimp, chilli and vegetable mix. The rice itself was a mix of white rice and leftover curry rice.

This also sounds amazing! Do you let the rice sit overnight before using it? I think that is usually recommended, but we have tried it with relatively fresh rice and it turns out okay.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on July 06, 2020, 08:45:29 PM

;--}

M.

:)

Economizer

Green Giant veggie mix to include roasted potato
Packaged deli type roast beef product heated up on an instant beef gravy mix
Two dinner roles heated an buttered
Something Peaks Iced Tea

It was a MANLY DINNER! IF IT WAS NOT ALREADY AFTER 7 PM I'D TAKE OUR POODLE ON  A HELLUVA WALK!
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Economizer on July 07, 2020, 06:12:15 PM
Green Giant veggie mix to include roasted potato
Packaged deli type roast beef product heated up on an instant beef gravy mix
Two dinner roles heated an buttered
Something Peaks Iced Tea

It was a MANLY DINNER! IF IT WAS NOT ALREADY AFTER 7 PM I'D TAKE OUR POODLE ON  A HELLUVA WALK!

https://www.artofmanliness.com/

Stockmann

;--}

M.

Well, today we were going to have lentil soup with assorted sausages, but we were hungry so we opted for fried sausage with chilli sauce (faster option). But we'll probably have some sort of lentil soup soonish.

Quote from: ab_grp on July 07, 2020, 11:39:20 AM

This also sounds amazing! Do you let the rice sit overnight before using it? I think that is usually recommended, but we have tried it with relatively fresh rice and it turns out okay.

The curry rice was a day old (we had curry rice and salmon with lime and ginger the day before), the white rice was freshly made. Basically I wanted to do something with the leftover curry rice but there wasn't enough of it for a main course, so I just boiled some more rice. I think it was pretty good, in my experience the trick is to use a mix of oils for the frying - olive, sesame and vegetable oils. I fried the shrimp wth plenty of garlic powder and chilli paste and a little salt, reserved and fried whisked eggs with soy sauce, reserved them and fried the rice (adding both the curry rice and the freshly prepared white rice) with a vegetable mix, and then just mixed everything together in the same pot I'd boiled the rice.

Economizer

Quote from: Stockmann on July 07, 2020, 07:06:22 PM

;--}

M.

Well, today we were going to have lentil soup with assorted sausages, but we were hungry so we opted for fried sausage with chilli sauce (faster option). But we'll probably have some sort of lentil soup soonish.

Quote from: ab_grp on July 07, 2020, 11:39:20 AM

The curry rice was a day old (we had curry rice and salmon with lime and ginger the day before), the white rice was freshly made. Basically I wanted to do something with the leftover curry rice but there wasn't enough of it for a main course, so I just boiled some more rice. I think it was pretty good, in my experience the trick is to use a mix of oils for the frying - olive, sesame and vegetable oils. I fried the shrimp wth plenty of garlic powder and chilli paste and a little salt, reserved and fried whisked eggs with soy sauce, reserved them and fried the rice (adding both the curry rice and the freshly prepared white rice) with a vegetable mix, and then just mixed everything together in the same pot I'd boiled the rice.
???
Where in the hell are all y'all from,  yall?

Stockmann

Quote from: Economizer on July 07, 2020, 08:08:10 PM
???
Where in the hell are all y'all from,  yall?

Well, I'll just say I've lived in three different countries (four if you count a summer) and I've always been interested in different cuisines.
Something that helps keep our menus varied is that my and my wife's cooking skills are remarkably complementary - before living together, I'd never cooked dishes from her home region, and even now they're not my strong suit, but they are hers, and we've tried different new recipes each, from different parts of the world.