News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

If Your Snark Was a Boojum

Started by Juvenal, June 26, 2019, 02:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juvenal

The old CHE, after you had looked at a post, would remove it from the list of "Unread Posts" that you had looked at.  Here, they stay until you refresh the page.  The vanishment of "that which had been read" was useful.  Here, the lingering seems more like clutter.  "Oh, yes; saw that, read that."

Cranky septuagenarian

Puget

Click "show unread posts" at the top of the page rather than using the back button.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Juvenal

Quote from: Puget on June 26, 2019, 03:01:09 PM
Click "show unread posts" at the top of the page rather than using the back button.

Thanks, but I'd sorta hoped for something automatic, lazy retired slug that I am.  But I will bear up and softly vanish away those posts manually.
Cranky septuagenarian

mamselle

Now, see, I thought this was going to be about sig lines and sign-offs we missed!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mouseman

You'll softly and suddenly vanish away, of course. What else happens when one's snark is a boojum?

Sheesh, people, get with the program.
"Just the place for a Snark!" the Bellman cried,
   As he landed his crew with care;
Supporting each man on the top of the tide
   By a finger entwined in his hair.

Lewis Carroll

scamp

Quote from: Juvenal on June 26, 2019, 03:48:47 PM

Thanks, but I'd sorta hoped for something automatic, lazy retired slug that I am.  But I will bear up and softly vanish away those posts manually.

I feel ya, Juvenal. I'm too lazy to scroll back up to the top of the page to click "show unread posts". I just want to hit the back button. Wah wah wah.

polly_mer

Quote from: scamp on July 15, 2019, 09:17:05 AM
Quote from: Juvenal on June 26, 2019, 03:48:47 PM

I feel ya, Juvenal. I'm too lazy to scroll back up to the top of the page to click "show unread posts". I just want to hit the back button. Wah wah wah.

Try using "show unread posts" as a list of links, open new tabs from that list, and then reload the page with the list when you need new tabs.  Under the CHE reCAPTCHA system, that quickly ran into mandatory puzzles, but works just fine here.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mamselle

Not sure if this is related, but it's the closest I can find...

In the past couple days, the "Show new replies" has gone from showing lots of backed-up threads to just a few (four, I think)...which seems new, and puzzling.

I did occasionally find the earlier several pages useful in locating a thread when the (still much better) search function wasn't coughing up the one I wanted.

Was this intentional, or did it just happen?

Or did a snark indeed turn into a boojum....and melt away?

(Miss you, mouseman!)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.