News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Preparing for Coronavirus?

Started by Cheerful, February 25, 2020, 09:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dismalist

Well, here we have it:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-03/germany-and-france-blame-americans-for-playing-dirty-over-masks

The US can't compete on price at home on account that would be price gouging, but it can compete abroad, on account that's legal.

So. we sell to other countries and other countries sell to us the same product. Cross exporting. Could save transport costs by abolishing the anti-price gouging regulations in the individual states.

All such articles claim that paying cash is the decisive consideration. No, it's a question of price.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

spork

Zero vegetable oil in the supermarket. Soy milk has disappeared again. And the warehouse membership club I belong to only has sugar-added peanut butter, not the just-peanuts-and-salt brand I eat.   
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

apl68

Two days ago our local grocery store appeared to be short only on cleaning supplies and paper products.  There was some off-brand TP available, which was an improvement.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

apostrophe

Quote from: spork on April 09, 2020, 07:17:31 AM
Zero vegetable oil in the supermarket. Soy milk has disappeared again. And the warehouse membership club I belong to only has sugar-added peanut butter, not the just-peanuts-and-salt brand I eat.

This annoys me so much when it happens. Have you ever tried making your own? I'm considering it, having had success with cashew butter in the past.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: apostrophe on April 09, 2020, 07:52:32 AM
Quote from: spork on April 09, 2020, 07:17:31 AM

This annoys me so much when it happens. Have you ever tried making your own? I'm considering it, having had success with cashew butter in the past.

Full disclosure:  I've never tried to make nut butters.  However, the instructions for the grinder I have said it would do anything except peanuts.  Something about them becoming so dense when ground up that they would clog the works.

namazu

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on April 09, 2020, 08:42:16 AM
Full disclosure:  I've never tried to make nut butters.  However, the instructions for the grinder I have said it would do anything except peanuts.  Something about them becoming so dense when ground up that they would clog the works.
The ziplock-bag-and-hammer trick works OK in a pinch if you're not looking for something totally homogenized/creamy and don't need vast quantities at once.  (Also great for relieving lock-down-related stress!)

apostrophe

You can make peanut butter in a food processor according to what I've read online.

Anselm

Quote from: namazu on April 09, 2020, 08:47:13 AM
The ziplock-bag-and-hammer trick works OK in a pinch if you're not looking for something totally homogenized/creamy and don't need vast quantities at once.  (Also great for relieving lock-down-related stress!)

Wow, who ever thought that The Fora would turn into a prepper discussion forum?

Spork, do you live near a natural foods store?  They usually have the kind of peanut butter you want.   I have not bee to one recently but I suspect that they are less likely to have empty shelves from panic buying.  You might also try a online grocery store.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

namazu

Quote from: Anselm on April 09, 2020, 11:18:06 AM
Quote from: namazu on April 09, 2020, 08:47:13 AM

Wow, who ever thought that The Fora would turn into a prepper discussion forum?

Spork, do you live near a natural foods store?  They usually have the kind of peanut butter you want.   I have not bee to one recently but I suspect that they are less likely to have empty shelves from panic buying.  You might also try a online grocery store.
Wait, weren't you the one suggesting I make my own almond milk? :D  EDIT: No, that was alto_stratus.  :)

I was actually able to get just-peanut-butter delivered to my doorstep from a local, expensive natural foods store that takes online orders.  But I do remember making peanut butter with a hammer and ziplock when I was a kid.  I vaguely recall that Mr. Rogers may have done it on his show...

alto_stratus

Amazon has some shelf-stable soy milk in stock. I ordered some in case the shortages on milk get worse. I need my coffee and cereal.

I was looking up make-it-yourself masks, and darn it all if they aren't recommending people put coffee filters in masks. I checked Amazon - sold out! No, people - I need my coffee! Luckily, Staples still had some filters, but I had to buy a 6-month supply.

ciao_yall

Quote from: alto_stratus on April 09, 2020, 03:31:52 PM
Amazon has some shelf-stable soy milk in stock. I ordered some in case the shortages on milk get worse. I need my coffee and cereal.

I was looking up make-it-yourself masks, and darn it all if they aren't recommending people put coffee filters in masks. I checked Amazon - sold out! No, people - I need my coffee! Luckily, Staples still had some filters, but I had to buy a 6-month supply.

I think all the alternative milks are shelf-stable. The reason you see them in the dairy case is that they sell better there. But I'm not sure.

alto_stratus

They even have shelf-stable cow milk, which I prefer to soy milk (although I find the flavor inferior to refrigerated milk), but it was sold out or ridiculously priced.  Apparently at $10 a quart, I go vegan.

ciao_yall

Quote from: alto_stratus on April 10, 2020, 07:02:08 PM
They even have shelf-stable cow milk, which I prefer to soy milk (although I find the flavor inferior to refrigerated milk), but it was sold out or ridiculously priced.  Apparently at $10 a quart, I go vegan.

The shelf-stable cow milk is the packaging, not that they do anything special to the milk. Overseas most milk is sold that way. Cold supply chains to keep milk fresh are really expensive to maintain.

marshwiggle

Quote from: ciao_yall on April 11, 2020, 02:15:33 AM
Quote from: alto_stratus on April 10, 2020, 07:02:08 PM

The shelf-stable cow milk is the packaging, not that they do anything special to the milk. Overseas most milk is sold that way. Cold supply chains to keep milk fresh are really expensive to maintain.

Actually I believe that's incorrect. It used to be called UHT (Ultra High Temperature) milk. It had a funny taste. When I had milk in France, same milk, same funny taste.

Any chemists or biologists able to enlighten?
It takes so little to be above average.

downer

My supermarket has regular farm milk but no organic milk. I think I still saw some organic milk in my health store. I am surprised that organic milk is hard to get though. The cows must still be producing milk. I saw something about farmers just destroying large quantities of milk, but didn't follow it up.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis