News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Thanksgiving 2020 Plans

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, November 13, 2020, 08:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

I just recently discovered challah bread.  Good stuff!
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

the_geneticist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on November 23, 2020, 10:32:34 AM
Interesting.

How do you cook half a turkey in the oven? Oh, the asymmetry! Was it cut lengthwise? I suppose you could have all white or all dark meat if you wanted.

We plan to do a little bit each day. I may make some challah rolls today or tomorrow (extra to freeze for later) and a pumpkin pie on Wednesday. Turkey, cornbread dressing, mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, green beans and gravy will happen on Thursday.

I would assume it was cut into a left and right half.  I'd rub it with salt & butter, and put it cut side down in a roasting pan on top of some carrots, onions, & celery.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: the_geneticist on November 23, 2020, 02:11:30 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on November 23, 2020, 10:32:34 AM
Interesting.

How do you cook half a turkey in the oven? Oh, the asymmetry! Was it cut lengthwise? I suppose you could have all white or all dark meat if you wanted.

We plan to do a little bit each day. I may make some challah rolls today or tomorrow (extra to freeze for later) and a pumpkin pie on Wednesday. Turkey, cornbread dressing, mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, green beans and gravy will happen on Thursday.

I would assume it was cut into a left and right half.  I'd rub it with salt & butter, and put it cut side down in a roasting pan on top of some carrots, onions, & celery.

I figured (I was just being silly). I suppose you could also have a quarter of a turkey. :)

Sounds yummy! We'll probably do that, but stuff it inside with an orange, bay, thyme, rosemary, parsley, salt, pepper and probably something else.

Larimar

ab_grp

Happy Thanksgiving! Hope all the cooking and eating goes well and that everyone stays safe and healthy.

ciao_yall

Thankful to all of you on this board!

AmLitHist

mamselle

Lived through the extended sibling brunch call--we even Skyped (that's a verb, right?) to my cousin in Belgium for a bit.

The bacon-cheddar twists and the cinnamon rolls I made for myself were very good. I've managed to save one of each for another day, but it was a close thing.

It took some doing to get everything to work because the microphone on my brother's laptop (in Michigan) wasn't working, so we Skyped in the audio and went back to Zoom for the video (since they could only take the Skype call on their phones--hadn't downloaded it to their computers yet). That worked as long as the one person (my brother's girlfriend, au Canada), whose mic and screen were both working, turned off her Zoom audio so it didn't echo on Skype. We just ran them in tandem from my laptop, since I had both, and it worked.

Electronic distanced family dining at its finest...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

Turkey is in the oven!!

Football is on the TV!

Soon Ralphie will be dreaming of his red rider bb gun, Marley's Ghost will be visiting the much misunderstood Ebenezer Scrooge, and George Bailey will realize he really did have a wonderful life!

Hopefully, the CV 19 numbers will remain controlled and the Christmas season can be spent with the extended family!

Happy Thanksgiving!!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

hmaria1609

It was a lovely day out after overnight showers.
Yesterday we got an apple pie from Costco--our Thanksgiving Day dessert! My dad wanted one. (There were lots of apple and pumpkin pies on hand) The peppermint bark was brought out from the bakery as we were shopping late afternoon/early evening. My mom was glad she brought the small size organic young chickens earlier in the week--they were gone yesterday.
Two of our relatives called with Thanksgiving wishes. I sent texts to a few friends.

I watched "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" on DVD. Early on, Sally mentions the bit about seeing Christmas decorations in stores. Not much of a change from 1973 when this special first broadcasted on TV!

Stockmann

Vkw10

Nephew and roommates zoomed with us for a few minutes. They had turkey breast, stovetop stuffing, green beans, carrots, broccoli salad, and pumpkin pie. We had lasagna, green salad, and s'mores. The roommates thought it was hilarious that four college kids prepped the traditional Thanksgiving dinner, while none of their families did.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

apl68

We had a small (five people) Thanksgiving gathering.  I got to see my brother and his wife for the first time in over a year.  Then on Saturday we celebrated Dad's 77th birthday.

I learned today that a local eatery gave out free Thanksgiving meals to members of the community.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

kaysixteen

In general, is Thanksgiving as big a deal down there as it is here in its home, Mass.?   I have heard tell that many Southerners do not think that it is?

mythbuster

Down here Thanksgiving is a big deal- as the kick off to Christmas decorating! It's so warm here, and so many have fake trees that it gives them an excuse to go all out so that they know it's winter. There are several houses around here with standing day after Thanksgiving reservations with the local cherry picker trucks to help string the lights in the yard.