Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Preparing for Coronavirus?

Started by Cheerful, February 25, 2020, 09:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: spork on November 16, 2020, 09:59:39 AM
Quote from: hmaria1609 on November 13, 2020, 07:10:48 PM
The local Costco in my town has posted a board of things out of stock again. It's mostly cleaning wipes and such. They've added an extra sign or two related to holiday shopping.
Guess I'lll start getting my stash of Christmas candy together...

I went to the local membership club today to pick up a month's worth of eggs, another 25 pounds of flour, etc. I walked past the toilet paper section -- shelves were totally bare.

State-run coronavirus testing sites are not able to keep up with demand. CVS sites are always fully booked. I'm guessing this is in part due to people wanting to get tested before Thanksgiving travel. I think the governor will issue a stay at home order and business closures right after the holiday, but not before.

A few of my friends up North mentioned that paper goods are now scarce. Newspaper and corncobs anyone?

hmaria1609

clean

I went to the local Sams yesterday.  Paper towels were available. HOwever the TP was gone.

However, I was able to order a supply from Amazon a few days ago and it was delivered yesterday.

(Consumer Reports picked a brand a few years ago. It had been available at Walmart.  Then only at selected Walmarts.  Now, Walmart does not carry it, so I started ordering it from Amazon. It is about the same price at amazon, maybe a tad cheaper, but i have to buy 4 packs at a time.  When I lived alone those 4 packs would last about a year, but my house size just doubled, and with everything else, I figured I d restock a little early... It is not a product that I want to wait until Im out to hope that it is on the shelves. 

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

the_geneticist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on November 16, 2020, 10:13:37 AM
The local Costco in my town has posted a board of things out of stock again. It's mostly cleaning wipes and such. They've added an extra sign or two related to holiday shopping.

I went to the local membership club today to pick up a month's worth of eggs, another 25 pounds of flour, etc. I walked past the toilet paper section -- shelves were totally bare.

State-run coronavirus testing sites are not able to keep up with demand. CVS sites are always fully booked. I'm guessing this is in part due to people wanting to get tested before Thanksgiving travel. I think the governor will issue a stay at home order and business closures right after the holiday, but not before.

A few of my friends up North mentioned that paper goods are now scarce. Newspaper and corncobs anyone?

Gah!  And what do you do with the uh, "used", corn cobs when you're not on a pit toilet?  Can't exactly flush those.
Or you could buy a bidet attachment for your toilet.

mamselle

Wrap 'em in a plastic bag like you would your doggie's droppings and dispose of them the same way, in the garbage bin outdoors.

At least, that's what we did at camps in Southern Ohio when I was a kid...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: the_geneticist on November 17, 2020, 08:35:30 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on November 16, 2020, 10:13:37 AM

Gah!  And what do you do with the uh, "used", corn cobs when you're not on a pit toilet?  Can't exactly flush those.
Or you could buy a bidet attachment for your toilet.

Compost!

Actually, I know some people who purchased those attachments months ago (in March) when things weren't as bad as they are now.

apl68

We're still trying to get a cleaning supplies order from our usual supplier straightened out.  We had ordered disinfectant spray.  They sent us some kind of cleaner in pump bottles.  We notified them of the error.  They said that they'd pick up the mistakenly-sent goods and bring what we actually ordered.  Weeks later, I've contacted them again to let them know that it still isn't taken care of.  Maybe this will be the week?
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

apl68

The long-delayed supplies arrived at work yesterday!  Along with a case of toilet paper.

At the grocery store they seemed to be short of a few items in the cleaning area, but had most things.  Toilet paper was in good supply.  I asked one of the grocery store staff if people had been stocking up on stuff, or if they had been having trouble getting it from their suppliers.  She said that it was some of both.  Disinfecting spray remains almost impossible for them to get.  She had had to get some for personal use at a different store when she had the good luck to run across it.

One of our own staff said that the regional Sam's Club an hour away had been stripped of toilet paper, meat, and other supplies as of yesterday.

spork

I made an early morning trip to a membership club to buy two hundred pounds of its brand of cat litter, which the company's website said was in stock at that location. Of course there wasn't any in the actual store. But I did see customers with obvious Covid-19 risk factors filling shopping carts with frozen cakes, frozen pizzas, and boxes of M&Ms. WTF?
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

apl68

Mass panics and panic buying are a strange and unpredictable phenomenon.  I suppose the panic buyers will be cleaning out our local stores now that word has gotten around about other places selling out.

Hibush

Quote from: spork on November 20, 2020, 08:15:55 AM
I made an early morning trip to a membership club to buy two hundred pounds of its brand of cat litter, which the company's website said was in stock at that location. Of course there wasn't any in the actual store. But I did see customers with obvious Covid-19 risk factors filling shopping carts with frozen cakes, frozen pizzas, and boxes of M&Ms. WTF?
Rapture?

mamselle

It may be a regional thing, too.

When I moved from Ohio to my present abode, I'd never heard of shortages in a serious disaster.

A few years later, hurricane Gloria hit.

A complete aisle of bread was empty--not a single thing on the shelves.

I went to look for batteries. None.

No light bulbs. No tomato soup.

I was dumbfounded.

Thankfully I had tape for the windows.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

the_geneticist

Quote from: spork on November 20, 2020, 08:15:55 AM

If you have to shelter in place, at least you can eat cake!

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on November 20, 2020, 03:04:14 PM
It may be a regional thing, too.

When I moved from Ohio to my present abode, I'd never heard of shortages in a serious disaster.

A few years later, hurricane Gloria hit.

A complete aisle of bread was empty--not a single thing on the shelves.

I went to look for batteries. None.

No light bulbs. No tomato soup.

I was dumbfounded.

Thankfully I had tape for the windows.

M.

In southern states where snow is rare and typically turns quickly into sheets of ice on the roads, it's common to stock up whenever there is snow in the forecast.  Bread tends to disappear quickly. 

No longer a problem here now that snow appears to have become a thing of the past.

clean

Milk goes too.

Also, Pop Tarts (particularly strawberry) are on Walmart's auto order list for areas dealing with hurricanes!  And they sell quickly!

Im 'repurposing' my COVID supply turkey (purchased in march) for Thanksgiving next week.

IF I feel the need next weekend, I may get a post Thanksgiving Turkey among the remnants.  From the news, there may be some larger ones available, and again, from the news, they are relative inexpensive this year (as they are now loss leaders for the grocery stores).
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader