News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Knitting, Sewing and Handcraft Projects, Now and Forever...

Started by mamselle, March 15, 2020, 07:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

I thought I'd start a thread on sewing projects (pardon the pun), since we may all have a tiny bit more time in the near future to work on marginalized textiles and other set-aside endeavors. The old forum had an occasional thread like this, I think (quilting, maybe?) so there's a precedent... ;--}

I won't list all the projects I'm still toting around with me from Jr. Hi on, but....at present, I'm working on:

a. 5 more costumes for a Renaissance banquet event that's been cancelled but I'm hoping will happen later. One is nearly done, just have to add a skirt, lace the chemise, finish the front bodice construction, and add some trim and a hat, I think. Maybe poulaines...

b. A pair of mitts for my 18th c. character: I finally found some good yarn, a nice chocolate-ly brown, not too thick....now to find a pattern or invent one. (ETA: Can't get at the knitting needles now, so No. 2 pencils will do!)

c. I have the fabric but keep putting off doing the new dress I promised my 18th c. character last summer....need to re-pattern my own basic pattern, for starters, having not shed the avoirdupois I'd hoped to lose before doing so.

d. A couple mending tasks....and

e. Teaching/helping my god-sister (we had the same godmother) do her coat, blouse, and other projects (we meet on Saturdays and work together on stuff). We started doing her flat pattern basic from measurements, and she's now really better than I am at following ALL the directions, doing muslins first, etc. I am urging her to take a tailoring course next, she's getting really good.

You?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AmLitHist

Baby blankets.  I got on an afghan kick last spring when my health problems started and crocheted my way through summer and most of the fall.  I've put it down, mostly, this spring semester, but I have two baby blankets to get done, both for women at my healthcare provider's offices. 

I have a pink and white gingham one about half done; that was supposed to be given to my diabetes pharmacist-coach who's currently on leave (and I presume has had her baby, due in early March).

Kid #1 helped me pick colors last weekend for a baby ripple to give to my nurse practitioner, who I saw last week and has a boy due in late May (if she makes it that long--the poor thing is huge and said this baby is bigger than her first, which they had to take a couple of weeks early). 

So, I need to get busy, once classes are moved online (hopefully in the next couple of days).

Great thread, Mamselle.

Chemystery

I will admit that part of my thought process in making sure I had enough supplies to stay home for a while included the question "Do I have enough yarn?"  I'm sure y'all know that anyone who would ask that question in this situation undoubtedly already has a stash that is larger than they know what to do with.

Projects I have started:

An afghan (crochet)
A purse (sewing)
A quilt

Projects in the planning stages:

A crocheted version of a scarf I knit last year
Pillow cases
Throw cushions using special fabrics I purchased for family members.

mamselle

QuoteI will admit that part of my thought process in making sure I had enough supplies to stay home for a while included the question "Do I have enough yarn?"  I'm sure y'all know that anyone who would ask that question in this situation undoubtedly already has a stash that is larger than they know what to do with.

The one errand my godsister and I allowed ourselves yesterday was a quick trip into the fabric store. As we went past the yarn section, I said, "Do you mind if we stop for just a second in the yarn section?"

"Mind?" she said. "You forget who's with you! If you hadn't stopped, I was going to. The only reason I won't be buying anything is that I have a rule that I can only have two yarn projects awaiting completion before I'm allowed to buy more....and I'm currently over that by five."

So...yeah!

AML--do you both sew and crochet them (i.e., do the edges in crochet?) Since you mentioned gingham, that sounds like a fabric-and-batten project; the ripple project sounds like it involves yarn.

Both sound cool--and it's nice Kid #1 is helpful in picking out colors!

I got the first skein into a ball and started knitting the first mitt...then realized I had to do an Excel table for a project, so had to put it down....sigh.

Triage is the hardest thing in the world...the knitting is obviously so much more important than the stupid Excel table....!

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mamselle

Sorry--double-posting--but, @chemystery, I'm intrigued about the idea of doing a scarf both as a knitted and a crocheted project.

Do you have instructions for both or are you basing one on the other, on the fly, as it were?

And, will you use the same yarn to see how they differ?

Inquiring minds want to know....

;--}

M.

backatit

The only thing I know how to knit is a straight scarf :). But I'll probably do one just to keep from going stir crazy, if I can get some yarn (amazon, probably). I have some needles somewhere.

mamselle

Sounds like a good plan!

As I mentioned above, no. 2 pencils work in a pinch, too....!

Happy knitting!

M.

Chemystery

Quote from: mamselle on March 15, 2020, 05:32:58 PM
Sorry--double-posting--but, @chemystery, I'm intrigued about the idea of doing a scarf both as a knitted and a crocheted project.

Do you have instructions for both or are you basing one on the other, on the fly, as it were?

And, will you use the same yarn to see how they differ?

Inquiring minds want to know....

;--}

M.

To be honest, I haven't worked out how I'm going to translate it to crochet yet.  I'm probably going to try a few things before committing.   

There is no pattern.  It's a total geek project and I was just translating the emission spectrum of lanthanum into scarf form.  The colors matter far more than the pattern, so a simple stitch will probably do it. 

I'm at least going to try the same yarn.  I'll decide for sure once I get a few rows in.

mamselle

That is so cool!

The thing I loved about 8th grade science was learning about the spectrum patterns for the various elements.....what a great idea, to translate the color scheme into something visually pleasing like a scarf!

M.

nebo113

reener06

About 1/3 through baby blanket, largest think I've made in quite some time.

Gave up on a sweater for son a few years back. Now picking that up again. And hoping he'll wear it!

Have yarn I've knit into a scarf twice. Disliked both times. Going to pull and try again--have another pattern to try with.

Have yarn for another scarf (fancy, silky) and bought yarn to try a cabled scarf, wool, for me.

Since hellish year and sabbatical this semester, I've done 15 baby hats and two scarves for kids. One Harry Potter, and another in college colors, down in the round then sewn together, so doubly thick. Now college student is back in the Deep South, but she appreciated it the short time she used it.

And yesterday I cleaned and organized all the fabric/craft stuff, and found yarn and material I didn't know I had. College kid is now into sewing, so may get used. Had no idea how much thread I owned, or crochet needles--which I don't do, b/c I don't really like how it looks--but perhaps will begin. And crafts for 8 year old as I'm suddenly homeschooling second grade, god help us.

I figure if I run out of yarn I can order some.

Thanks for starting the thread.

AmLitHist

Mamselle, I do sew (and used to do it nearly ALL the time, literally:  I made all the girls' clothes, my clothes, household thngs, etc.) but haven't in years.  Everything now is crochet.

Both blankets are crocheted.  And here is a page of patterns showing variations for the gingham pattern.  I'm doing my first one, and I love it.  Mine is in a very pale pink, a darker pink, and off white--like the first one shown on that website, but paler colors. 

Also, Kid #1 is my artist, and since I'm absolutely awful at picking colors or knowing what looks good together, I rely on her!  (We ended up getting a pale sage, a pale yellow, and a light sandy beige, to which I'll add some narrow rows and edging in off-white.)

mamselle

Ooo, like those colors!

OK, I see now, "gingham" as in "checked"....for some reason the "cotton fabric" part of the "cotton fabric with a checked pattern" that I usually associate with "gingham" was jamming with "crochet" in my mind's eye.

It's a very cheery look, thanks for sharing the site and the pattern!

M.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: nebo113 on March 16, 2020, 05:20:14 AM
I'm a weaver.....or at least, I weave!

Have you ever used recyclable materials to weave? There are videos on how to upcycle foil coffee bags. I have a pile that are earmarked for upcycling and now I have the time to do something about it. They can also be sewn into pouches, etc.

nebo113

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on March 16, 2020, 11:17:24 AM
Quote from: nebo113 on March 16, 2020, 05:20:14 AM
I'm a weaver.....or at least, I weave!

Have you ever used recyclable materials to weave? There are videos on how to upcycle foil coffee bags. I have a pile that are earmarked for upcycling and now I have the time to do something about it. They can also be sewn into pouches, etc.

T shirts.  Sheets.  And my latest was a rug from $2 worth of macrame cord from a thrift store. I would like to try rugs from plastic bags.  I also wove two rugs from material given to me by fellow weavers.  We do love to recycle and regift.