News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishProf

Sorry about Ephie.

In my house, Orestes continues to be a dunderhead.  While we have been zealous about keeping elastics (and thread, twine, ribbon etc) out of his reach.  Last night I heard the hairball sound, and walked into the kitchen to witness the regurgitation of a Nerf dart.

He is the dumbest cat I've ever known in this regard.

I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: FishProf on September 04, 2020, 10:31:09 AM
Sorry about Ephie.

In my house, Orestes continues to be a dunderhead.  While we have been zealous about keeping elastics (and thread, twine, ribbon etc) out of his reach.  Last night I heard the hairball sound, and walked into the kitchen to witness the regurgitation of a Nerf dart.

Sorry to hear, FP.

Pica?

Youngest evil cat likes wires, so we also have to be pretty cautious about having her near them.

FishProf

I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Larimar

Poor Effie and Orestes. Hope they're both feeling better.

Speaking of feline regurgitations, Calico and HerMajesty have been getting some hairballs lately. Anyone know if those "hairball control" cat foods and cat treats actually help?

Larimar

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: the_geneticist on September 04, 2020, 10:14:55 AM
Sorry for the double-post.
Our Effie cat is in the vet with severe dehydration.  We think he's having another gastric ulcer like last year - vomiting, diarrhea, blood in his stool.

Sorry to hear. :(

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Larimar on September 04, 2020, 12:58:49 PM

Speaking of feline regurgitations, Calico and HerMajesty have been getting some hairballs lately. Anyone know if those "hairball control" cat foods and cat treats actually help?

Larimar

We've been experimenting with hairball 'remedies' and so far the results are mixed.

the_geneticist

Quote from: Larimar on September 04, 2020, 12:58:49 PM

Larimar

The liquid goop that's mostly mineral oil and molasses does help.  Don't give them as much as it recommends on the tube or it can cause oily stools.

OneMoreYear

Quote from: the_geneticist on September 04, 2020, 10:14:55 AM
Sorry for the double-post.
Our Effie cat is in the vet with severe dehydration.  We think he's having another gastric ulcer like last year - vomiting, diarrhea, blood in his stool.

Poor baby Effie cat. The OMY cats send scritches and hope he can escape from the vet soon.

mamselle

If it continues, take your kitty to the vet or call up for a checkup.

I ignored my longhaired, fluffy cat's spit-ups too long--thinking them just self-grooming by-products-- for the vet to be able to operate on the bowel obstruction that was growing.

They can indeed be nothing, but if they're really persistent, or contain a lot of mucous, it might be good to at least call it in.

Good luck and cuddly scritches to all Fora kitties.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

citrine

The hairball pastes are good. You can sometimes mix them with wet food if the cat won't eat them alone. Canned pumpkin is also a real wonder for getting things moving out the correct end. Again, you'll want to mix it with something since most cats will not enjoy it on its own.

I was the sole human servant for 21 kittens and 40 adult cats during my shelter shift on Thursday. Oof.

OneMoreYear

Perhaps he's a true experimentalist?  So, elastics are bad to eat, eating elastics gets me sent to the vet.  But what about these Nerf dart things? I mean, they could be bad like elastics or they could be OK.   Only one way to find out!

Larimar

mamselle

OR, maybe it feels like some atavistic, "gnawing on gristle" thing.

Are there any safe substitutes, like pig's knuckles, that don't have any actual bone in them?

Just brainstorming...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ursula

Sorry about Ephie.

Our Cleo is nuts about earplugs.  We have to work to keep them out of her reach after she swallowed one, and cotched it up again.

Catherder

[/quote]

Our Cleo is nuts about earplugs.  We have to work to keep them out of her reach after she swallowed one, and cotched it up again.
[/quote]

Oh yes, daughter's cat is also fascinated with earbuds. Over the past 4 years she has destroyed a few hundred $ worth. She doesn't swallow them, though. Just chews them up.