News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneMoreYear

Ricochet loves chasing (and eating) bugs.  She is amazingly fast and accurate.  Ninja thinks small game is beneath her and only gets excited about mice.

smallcleanrat

Noticed a spider bite on my arm today. Maestro, go get 'em!

Unrelated Question: If a cat has learned not to bite one human, but still selectively bites the other human in the house, is there still a general concern that he will bite non-household humans?

He nips a lot less in general these days, but it still happens at times. Hissing still works like a charm for me, even when he's riled up in play mode. One hiss and he switches to lunging at me with an open mouth but no actual tooth-to-skin contact. Sometimes I don't even need the hiss: I saw "ow!" and he becomes gentler (he may even lick the spot he nipped).

He still seems to nip at SO fairly often. SO refuses to hiss at him because he feels silly doing it, but "No, stop that!" doesn't seem to make much of an impression on the kitty. Maestro's typical tactic is to charge at SO's feet and ankles, biting hard. If SO says "ow!" Maestro just continues biting.

the_geneticist

Quote from: smallcleanrat on October 20, 2020, 03:09:57 PM

Unrelated Question: If a cat has learned not to bite one human, but still selectively bites the other human in the house, is there still a general concern that he will bite non-household humans?

He nips a lot less in general these days, but it still happens at times. Hissing still works like a charm for me, even when he's riled up in play mode. One hiss and he switches to lunging at me with an open mouth but no actual tooth-to-skin contact. Sometimes I don't even need the hiss: I saw "ow!" and he becomes gentler (he may even lick the spot he nipped).

He still seems to nip at SO fairly often. SO refuses to hiss at him because he feels silly doing it, but "No, stop that!" doesn't seem to make much of an impression on the kitty. Maestro's typical tactic is to charge at SO's feet and ankles, biting hard. If SO says "ow!" Maestro just continues biting.

Maestro is a clever kitty!  He's figured out that your SO is the go-to rough-and-tumble playmate.  If SO feels silly hissing, maybe he could try a spray bottle of water?  Or redirect to a favorite toy?
I wouldn't worry about him biting new people.  Nipping is classic play and hunting behavior.  Maestro is just practicing his skills as a mighty hunter!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Do your cats growl (like a dog) when someone rings the doorbell? Elder evil cat just did.

mamselle

I had one kitty that used to growl, 'way down deep in his throat, at perceived threats.

He was a teensy, fluffy little thing the first time he did it.

I couldn't believe such a deep, intense sound could come from such a tiny little fluffball.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

OneMoreYear

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on October 21, 2020, 10:17:44 AM
Do your cats growl (like a dog) when someone rings the doorbell? Elder evil cat just did.

My fluffy calico used to grow at a doorbell when it interrupted her nap. Naptime was sacrosanct. Thou shall not interrupt the nap.  Unless there was food.

Puget

Quote from: the_geneticist on October 21, 2020, 09:19:34 AM
Quote from: smallcleanrat on October 20, 2020, 03:09:57 PM

Maestro is a clever kitty!  He's figured out that your SO is the go-to rough-and-tumble playmate.  If SO feels silly hissing, maybe he could try a spray bottle of water?  Or redirect to a favorite toy?
I wouldn't worry about him biting new people.  Nipping is classic play and hunting behavior.  Maestro is just practicing his skills as a mighty hunter!

Right, SO has to speak cat if he wants Maestro to stop, otherwise from Maestro's perspective they are playing.
I'd never had two cats before, so it's been fun watching my two play-- they will roll around wrestling, biting and clawing in near silence (except for little rrr sounds), but if Panther Boy (who is much bigger and doesn't really know it) gets a bit too rough, Little Calico will hiss and he'll usually back off and lay down to see if she will play again or stalk off. 
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Larimar

Quote from: mamselle on October 21, 2020, 11:17:02 AM
I had one kitty that used to growl, 'way down deep in his throat, at perceived threats.

He was a teensy, fluffy little thing the first time he did it.

I couldn't believe such a deep, intense sound could come from such a tiny little fluffball.

M.

OrangeGuy sometimes chases HerMajesty around, partly wanting to play, partly wanting to be dominant kitty, and she might growl at him if he corners her. She, after all, is the queen here, and is far above playing rough with anyone. Mr. Larimar and I try to prevent OrangeGuy from chasing her, and we yell and hiss at him when we catch him starting. He'll freeze when we do that, but the lesson hasn't entirely stuck yet.

The first time we heard HerMajesty growl, it was hard to believe. She's loud and means business. It was surprising coming from such a sweetheart.

Larimar

smallcleanrat

The only times I've heard Maestro growl is when he manages to steal a big chunk of brisket or pot roast and I try to take it away.

I can snatch other foods away from him and he will look annoyed, but so far he only growls for beef.

This is my favorite video for contrasting cute kitten exteriors from the primal predator interiors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq0Za47zaaQ

lillipat

The Princess growls when it's a specific individual at the door whom she doesn't like.  The rest of the time she's shy and/or pleasant, but let That Man come over, and she's in primal huntress mode.  Such a growl!

onehappyunicorn

There's no issue with posting images of our kitties, right?
https://imgur.com/gallery/RumeuP3

smallcleanrat

Quote from: onehappyunicorn on October 22, 2020, 08:15:56 AM

Your kitties are adorable!

"Furonymus Bosch" is going on my list of Best Cat Names I've Ever Encountered. It's right up there with "Mr. Meowgi."

Is Poe the black-and-white kitty with the gorgeous green eyes? Is that a Siamese kitty chomping on his ear?

Love the pics. A nice way to start the morning :)

OneMoreYear

Adorable kittehs!!  I agree with smallcleanrat that Furonymus Bosch is one of the best cat names ever!

Ricochet, who can usually only be found on one of her safe spots (current N=4), is lounging in a sunbeam on the kitchen floor. Any sudden movements will cause her to bolt, so I'm watching from afar.

onehappyunicorn

Thank you! Yes, we called him Poe because he has that little mustache. He was a rescue kitty and when we got him he was around a year old and weighed maybe 5 lbs, he's now up to 18. Hazel is probably a mix of snowshoe (like grumpy cat) and siamese, she was another rescue. I am a painter so I told my wife we had to have at least one cat with a painter's name.

Larimar

Quote from: OneMoreYear on October 22, 2020, 09:18:25 AM

Adorable kittehs!!  I agree with smallcleanrat that Furonymus Bosch is one of the best cat names ever!

Aww, +1 to this. Hazel, Poe, and Furonymus are adorable.