News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Trendy Words I Do Not Like

Started by Cheerful, September 09, 2020, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larimar

+1 to 'new normal'. Ugh, that one gives me the impression of trying to put a saccharine coating over "there is no hope things will get better".

Larimar

marshwiggle

It takes so little to be above average.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: marshwiggle on September 10, 2020, 10:09:24 AM

a somewhat ironic example of exactly what "virtue signalling" refers to.

Ironic, like rain on your wedding day.
I know it's a genus.

Treehugger

Quote from: ohnoes on September 10, 2020, 09:21:14 AM

"New normal" instead of "whatever the hell this is until we figure out what the hell we're doing"

"Grab" instead of any other more polite form of "get"

"Talk about" instead of an actual question from a reporter

Oh yes, "new normal" has got to go. Just a stupid euphemism for "No, there is no solution. Get used to it."

cathwen

Invite, used as a noun.  Does no one issue invitations anymore?

apl68

"Dogwhistle"  It's such a belittling term as currently used.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

dismalist

"Moving forward", which means forget the garbage I have imposed on you until now, and let's keep going with new garbage.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

fishbrains

Quote from: dismalist on September 10, 2020, 10:30:50 PM
"Moving forward", which means forget the garbage I have imposed on you until now, and let's keep going with new garbage.
Plus you should not notice that the new garbage is pretty much the same $hit as the old garbage, just re-articulated using the jargon of "transformational, forward-thinking leadership."
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

fourhats

Curate.

Why are things that you select now have to sound like it's a museum?

EdnaMode

Here are additional votes against the use of "new normal," and "leverage" unless it actually has to do with a lever and force (I'm in engineering, so that could definitely happen).

I also hate gift used as a verb. He gifted me a nice pen when I earned tenure. I was gifted with a cashmere sweater from my mom for my birthday. Ugh.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

marshwiggle

Quote from: fourhats on September 11, 2020, 06:36:14 AM
Curate.

My hunch is that this has happened because of things like Pinterest and cloud storage of digital images, etc. At one time, people had to actually "select" items thoughtfully, but now people make "collections" of all kinds of things just because storage is virtually free. So "curate" carries the idea of an actual living breathing human consciously(!!!) choosing what to include and what to reject. The museum image may actually fit that.
It takes so little to be above average.

apl68

Quote from: marshwiggle on September 11, 2020, 07:28:33 AM
Quote from: fourhats on September 11, 2020, 06:36:14 AM
Curate.

My hunch is that this has happened because of things like Pinterest and cloud storage of digital images, etc. At one time, people had to actually "select" items thoughtfully, but now people make "collections" of all kinds of things just because storage is virtually free. So "curate" carries the idea of an actual living breathing human consciously(!!!) choosing what to include and what to reject. The museum image may actually fit that.

This is why "curate" has become popular in the library world.  Many libraries offer "curated" selections of this and that to save patrons the trouble of trying to dig good stuff out of oceans of junk online.  Haven't used the term myself, but then our little library hasn't been doing a whole of that sort of thing either.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

fourhats

I first saw it in shelter magazines, when they did house tours of people's homes. Now it's everywhere. Collections of recipes, books, crafts, and so on.

I complained about "gifted" a few years back on the old forum. It still rubs me the wrong way!

apl68

Quote from: fourhats on September 11, 2020, 08:10:33 AM

I complained about "gifted" a few years back on the old forum. It still rubs me the wrong way!

"Gifted" as in "You have a very gifted child," or as in "I gifted that lamp they gave me to somebody at work that I really didn't like"?