News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Random Thoughts Anew

Started by mamselle, May 27, 2019, 09:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downer

I can see how it might be annoying. The requests for money do require a certain hypocracy and bold-faced insensitivity. But the ludicrousness of it is what makes me chuckle.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

downer

The phrase "the marriage act" made me laugh. The writer is referring to the marital act. But "The Marriage Act" could make a good title for a play.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

downer

So the library cancelled my interlibrary loan because they did an internet search and found the article online. They sent me a link to a website. Not the journal website. They just found a copy up on someone's website.

It is an enterprising approach to reducing costs.

mahagonny

'you are trying to ignore this user'

mahagonny

Quote from: downer on March 26, 2021, 05:51:55 AM
So the library cancelled my interlibrary loan because they did an internet search and found the article online. They sent me a link to a website. Not the journal website. They just found a copy up on someone's website.

It is an enterprising approach to reducing costs.

Eventually all the information and technology you need will be available for free or a little more, but if you need a doctor you'll be finished.

downer

Another diversity survey. Bound to get some people's gander up.

Did they really think it was useful to ask: "How often do you interact with people of a different gender?"

marshwiggle

Quote from: downer on April 05, 2021, 07:06:03 AM

Did they really think it was useful to ask: "How often do you interact with people of a different gender?"

If you don't live in a convent or a nunnery, how would they ever expect an answer different from "virtually every day" or even "every day"?
It takes so little to be above average.

Langue_doc

Oh, dear. I'm at a loss for words.

EdnaMode

I laughed, but then I realized that considering my field, it's possible that some of my colleagues could go days at a time not interacting with people of a different gender if they don't interact with me or any of the female office staff. I'm a female in engineering in a field that attracts very few females, a couple of my colleagues are males who live alone, and often there are courses that have no females in them. The only other female professor in our department has been working solely remotely last fall and this spring. So yeah, depending on what they're teaching and what time of day they come and go from the building, males having no interaction with females is entirely possible. Just playing devil's advocate ;) I thought about this because unless I have reason to go into the main office, I can go days at a time, only interacting with people of a different gender.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

marshwiggle

Quote from: EdnaMode on April 05, 2021, 08:15:40 AM

I laughed, but then I realized that considering my field, it's possible that some of my colleagues could go days at a time not interacting with people of a different gender if they don't interact with me or any of the female office staff. I'm a female in engineering in a field that attracts very few females, a couple of my colleagues are males who live alone, and often there are courses that have no females in them. The only other female professor in our department has been working solely remotely last fall and this spring. So yeah, depending on what they're teaching and what time of day they come and go from the building, males having no interaction with females is entirely possible. Just playing devil's advocate ;) I thought about this because unless I have reason to go into the main office, I can go days at a time, only interacting with people of a different gender.

But was the context of the original question restricted to the workplace? (And in your case, any colleague teaching big classes will probably include at least a few female students. The most "unbalanced" engineering discipline around here still has around 10% women.) What about sales staff in stores, serving staff in restaurants, etc.? If this is talking about life in general, than I'd guess anyone who interacts with a dozen people in a day will almost certainly interact with at least one of a "different" gender.
It takes so little to be above average.

EdnaMode

Quote from: marshwiggle on April 05, 2021, 08:22:26 AM
Quote from: EdnaMode on April 05, 2021, 08:15:40 AM

But was the context of the original question restricted to the workplace? (And in your case, by definition most of your students are probably of a "different" gender.) What about sales staff in stores, serving staff in restaurants, etc.? If this is talking about life in general, than I'd guess anyone who interacts with a dozen people in a day will almost certainly interact with at least one of a "different" gender.

In my case, yes, I did mention that almost all of my interactions are with people of a "different" gender, but not so for my male colleagues. I figured that if I could go days at a time only seeing and interacting with men, then some of my male colleagues, especially the single ones who live alone, would also go days at a time only interacting with men. I was just being facetious, but in these days of the plague where so many people are staying home, doing online shopping, touch-free deliveries of even groceries, rarely eating out, etc. I was just saying that it was entirely possible to go days at a time without interacting with people of a different gender than oneself.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

downer

Oh, I meant get get their dander up.

That is different from getting a gander.

The survey was about campus, and includes interactions with undergrads, as far as I can tell.

downer

Another day, another survey. (How many surveys are your schools asking you to do?)

Q: Does your institution provide faculty with the resources needed to succeed in a multicultural world?

Wait, what? What would those resources be? My main answer would be $$$.

Q: Does your institution ensure that you are not stigmatized because of your identity (racial/ethnic, gender, religious, sexual orientation, etc)

What's in the et cetera? You should hear how the engineers talk about the humanities.

I wish they would just say what they mean.

ergative

People who don't want to get the vaccine are like people who don't want to install software updates.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: downer on April 05, 2021, 08:45:02 AM
Oh, I meant get get their dander up.

That is different from getting a gander.

The survey was about campus, and includes interactions with undergrads, as far as I can tell.

Now I'm imagining a flock of very angry, honking male geese magically appearing and going after someone. Sic 'em!