News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Post For Stuff You Wanna Tell People

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 17, 2019, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ex_mo

I am endlessly amused by this fact:

Dick Cheney, former Vice President of the United States, who shot his friend in the face by "accident" and then that friend went on TV and APOLOGIZED TO DICK CHENEY, doesn't have a heartbeat.

He is alive, but his heart does not beat.
https://www.livescience.com/33035-is-it-true-that-dick-cheney-has-no-heartbeat.html

namazu

We can write "class clown" without it being censored!  Will wonders never cease?!

(I was going to post this in the One-Offs thread, but there doesn't seem to be one, and given how the old one turned frequently passive-aggressively nasty -- or sometimes even aggressively nasty -- I've opted not to start one for the moment.)

In other news, I saw my first monarch of the season yesterday, and also some turkey vultures and watersnakes.  Hooray!

mamselle

QuoteIn other news, I saw my first monarch of the season yesterday,

Did you bow or curtsey properly?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

namazu

Quote from: mamselle on May 21, 2019, 10:23:31 AM
QuoteIn other news, I saw my first monarch of the season yesterday,
Did you bow or curtsey properly?
Mais oui!

polly_mer

I just found out about tayberries--a cross between blackberries and raspberries: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tayberry
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Parasaurolophus

About time Warren came out with some kind of environmental platform. Jeeze.

Also: had one of my two mandatory peer class evaluation visits today. Surprisingly, the students were entirely undaunted--which I know, given my other posts, sounds like it isn't saying much. But actually, they were much livelier today than they usually are. Maybe some of that was the topic, which I suspect is of particular interest to them. Or maybe they just knew I needed to look good today. Either way, thumbs up!
I know it's a genus.

polly_mer

Read Getting to Yes, do your research, and make a principled negotiation for new positions, even acting positions.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

ab_grp

Quote from: polly_mer on June 07, 2019, 06:27:14 AM
Read Getting to Yes, do your research, and make a principled negotiation for new positions, even acting positions.

This reminded me of something that has always stuck with me.  One of the books we were assigned during a mini-MBA course is Getting Past No.  The chapter that stood out to me is about building a golden bridge for the person you're negotiating with.  It opens with a quote from Sun Tzu: "Build your opponent a golden bridge to retreat across."  I sometimes find myself on the more aggressive side of negotiating, so this was a good lesson to learn and one that I have used many times since.

AmLitHist

Holy cow!  My Blues won their very first Stanley Cup!!!!!  Play Gloria! 😁😁😁

Parasaurolophus

I pulled out the binocs and had a good look at Jupiter last night.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

How long is it still visible?

I think maybe I saw it, walking home last night...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

backatit

I just got my home office set up and I am gloriously happy, as are the dogs. I'd been working in the bedroom or the living room, but with TWO of the adult children moving home at once, I need a nice space to work. I have bookshelves, lots of bookshelves! And a view of the garden from my desk (just a glimpse, but it's nice!). I wasn't loving my house lately, but this could help.

filologos

Quote from: ex_mo on May 21, 2019, 06:36:47 AM
I am endlessly amused by this fact:

Dick Cheney, former Vice President of the United States, who shot his friend in the face by "accident" and then that friend went on TV and APOLOGIZED TO DICK CHENEY, doesn't have a heartbeat.

He is alive, but his heart does not beat.
https://www.livescience.com/33035-is-it-true-that-dick-cheney-has-no-heartbeat.html

That article is from 2011. He had a heart transplant in 2012, so he no longer has the VAD.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: mamselle on June 18, 2019, 04:55:44 AM

M.

I dunno, but I'm pretty sure it's still visible, though less so.
I know it's a genus.

namazu

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 27, 2019, 07:46:56 AM
Quote from: mamselle on June 18, 2019, 04:55:44 AM
I dunno, but I'm pretty sure it's still visible, though less so.
Yup!

Stargazers: June 26 - July 2  (5min PBS video)